Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya,
Anyone ever had oil pressure problems 'off' road?

Drove an hour on heavily rutted iced 'road' recently, bouncing in and out of the icy ruts. Probably around 2" to 4" or so in depth most of the time. Speed slowish, average 20-25mph, maybe 35 on the better bits. After about an hour, I saw the oil lamp illuminate, but only about 50% of the brightness on start up. Stayed that way for a few seconds and then faded almost right out. Stayed, very dim for a few minutes. Stopped at a destination for an hour or so and no problems on a slower return journey. Oil was a fraction off the top mark, but 350 miles away from a regular oil change (every 5000 miles).

The only thing I can think is that there was momentary oil starvation due to oil pickup problems on the bouncy road. I'm assuming that modern oil doesn't foam these days. I just wondered if anyone else had ever heard of this happening or if was just my big right foot (it was a fun ride, sliding all over I'll admit.... ).

·
Super Moderator
3,274 Posts
I’m not familiar with the 04 but could it have been transmission overheating light?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
No trans temp light on these, Honda uses the "D" making it flash if there is a trans problem.

Oil light coming on:

If engine is quiet (not making new noises) then it wasnt a pick up issue. And light will be on full or not at all. Half brightness means something got shaken loose or the sensor on the engine (just above oil filter) is going bad. Check the electrical connections as thats where the problem lies.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Poor connection on oil sensor

And light will be on full or not at all. Half brightness means something got shaken loose or the sensor on the engine (just above oil filter) is going bad. Check the electrical connections as thats where the problem lies.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Good point, it was the 'half brightness' that threw me. And then afterwards, how could the lamp just glow? Engine is quiet (well, as quiet as it ever is!) and I went to Sweden at the weekend (2.5 hours each way) no problem, so I don't think any real damage was done.

No sign of the lamp since so it was definitely 'rough road' related. A fragile wire looks promising, will take a look later. I did change the oil and filter anyway just in case something weird did happen to the oil...
Cheers!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts