Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

First of apologies if this topic is covered elsewhere, but I have been finding it very difficult to come across sensible and meaningful information on the true off road capabilities of the CRV.

In the handbook it states that the vehicle is primarily designed for paved roads, however I have seen videos of the car off road doing some pretty impressive things.

In the summer we have been invited to do some greenlanning in the Auverne and I am concerned that the CRV may not be up it and so would welcome other owners views on how the vehicle will get on. My principal concerns are these:-

Is there sufficient ground clearance, my car seems to have some sort of frame work under the fuel tank which looks low to me.

Is there any under-body protection available in the UK for this vehicle I cant seem to find any company that does accessories for the CRV

There is no Low box or diff lock so will the car cope driving long distances in first /second. Will there be enough grunt.

Will the clutch be man enough to take punishment of stop start, alternating forward and reverse etc.

Can some sort of bracket be installed so that there is a front towing point if we do get stuck? There will be a rear towing point.

The tracks we will be on are not too washed out or rutted and we will not be trying to scale steep slopes or going into deep holes or even any deep water. They are however long and twisty with completely lose surface's.​

My Car is an 06 Executive model 2.2 Dci manual 6 speed. Which I think makes it a second generation CRV.

I am a fairly experienced off road driver but that was with a 300TDI discovery which would climb a mountain.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
From what your describing, you could take a car in there.

My 2000 CRV Like Shryp mentioned, is a tad higher off the ground than your Gen.2, but you have more ground clearance than any car, and furthermore having a Diesel engine, you have "much more Torque" than any of us here in North America. Trust me, your good to go!

All Terrain Tires would help though!

Here’s what I put my little 146 HP @ 133 lbs of torque through.

·
Registered
171 Posts
You should have two tow loops on the front of your Gen 2 CRV and one in the back. Have you actually gotten down on your knees to take a look?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should have two tow loops on the front of your Gen 2 CRV and one in the back. Have you actually gotten down on your knees to take a look?
Of course, but I understood that the loops on the front are for strapping down when transporting the vehicle on low loaders etc. and are not suitable for serious towing as they can snap off.

The back is no problem as there is a very substantial tow bar and ball arrangement.

·
Registered
10 Posts
warning: Honda 4WD drive should be used only in short periods, becouse it will be destroyed if used too harsh.

Under-body protection: You should have stock plastic engine shield. If not find used one or buy not original replacement: BLIC 6601-02-2956861P. There are Rusian made steel or aluminium engine shields too: Sheriff
There is no more shields for this model.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts