Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an offer from the dealer to upgrade my 2017 CRV EXL AWD to 2019 version. It has been roughly 2 years 7 months since I bought my 2017 CRV and now the offer is to go for an upgrade with a $22K reimbursement for trading the car. Car has clocked 20K miles.

Is it worth to upgrade foregoing $10K? Please advise CRV Honda owners

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
Dealers have been doing this for years, at least where I live, mostly from Toyota dealers (when my father in law owned one and had it registered at our address.

Only you can decide if such an offer is right for you.

Personally.. I put them immediately into the round file as it is not my responsibility to help them with churning sales of both a new vehicle as well as the old vehicle. They will try to profit off of the spread and the sale of two vehicles... and honestly.. I am surprised Honda allows this from their dealers.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Got an offer from the dealer to upgrade my 2017 CRV EXL AWD to 2019 version. It has been roughly 2 years 7 months since I bought my 2017 CRV and now the offer is to go for an upgrade with a $22K reimbursement for trading the car. Car has clocked 20K miles.

Look at it this way. At that rate you are paying $0.50/mile to drive the car ($10k/20k miles).

At that rate, the car would depreciate to 0 after 60k. I get it that depreciation isn't linear. However, it gives you the magnitude of what they are offering... 1/3 depreciated after 20k.

Or, about $70-75/wk. That's worse than leasing.

That sounds unreasonable to me, but as someone else posted this is a highly personal decision .

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
415 Posts
if this type of marketing entices you, next time maybe lease your cars, like the previous poster wrote, this offer can be worse than leasing. But it is really up to you.
10k/31mo = $322.58 per month...
Not really worse than leasing but still not in your favor, but if you normally keep your cars past 5 years... then it is much worse....

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
If ones 401K is fully funded, no mortgage, no debt, and one still has enough disposable income to pay cash (no financing or lease), why not??‍♂

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not much has really changed, has it? If your 2017 is treating you well, why wouldn't you just keep it?
True. Planning to do just that. I do not see any major difference between the 2017 and 2019 versions as such. It could also be a burden with the 2019 version since I see Honda changing the generation of the CRV every 3-4 years. So prefer to upgrade to a new generation one rather than the existing generation if at all the 2020/2021 version is really that different

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hard pass. I can't foresee any scenario where you would benefit from this transaction. I mean it's not even a good deal. $22K is KBB for an EX-L with that mileage, and $32K is basically stick price for a new one, and 2019 is identical to 2017 in every way (2020 is the mid-cycle refresh). This is an attempt to sucker some current CR-V owners into buying excess 2019 units at full price before they have to discount the them in order to sell them alongside the 2020 units.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
.......or save/invest it.

Reactions: VIVADUDE

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I would not take that deal. Just the math alone makes it a bad idea. 20K miles and your paying $10K to reset that. That means you payed .50 cents extra for every mile you got out of the CR-V or about $12.50 more for each gallon of gas used.

If my vehicle had suffered from bad OD or had gotten in an accident and had resprayed panels then yes I would probably take up the offer. As others have said you might trade in a perfectly working vehicle for a Dud. Also you can put any remorse out of your mind if you skip the offer. You can probably get the same deal anytime up to November maybe even December if you change your mind.

Rob

·
Registered
271 Posts
If you don't have issue with your current like OD or no heat I won't trade it because you might get those issues on the new one

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you don't have issue with your current like OD or no heat I won't trade it because you might get those issues on the new one
Are we saying that even on the 2019 CR-Vs, there is still a chance of the OD issue? I thought that by now Honda would have solved this issue once and for all, on all new 2019s? Heck, I even read before that 2018s should have had the issue fixed (at least the later 2018s)...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am going to disagree with most of the posters here.
My 2017 CRV also has 20K miles and if I got an offer like this I would have to seriously consider it.
.50/mile is far below the actual cost of operating a vehicle. Even the IRS allows more than that (.58/mile.) Considering the depreciation and wear and tear on the car, $10K seems like a deal. Try going to another dealer like CarMax and see if you can get an offer anywhere close to it.
What I would guess though is that the offer is not iron-clad and you'll be fortunate to actually get the whole $10K. Once they go over it they'll find a scratch, deduct tire wear, etc. and the trade would be closer to $5K.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Are we saying that even on the 2019 CR-Vs, there is still a chance of the OD issue? I thought that by now Honda would have solved this issue once and for all, on all new 2019s? Heck, I even read before that 2018s should have had the issue fixed (at least the later 2018s)...
Many have some OD as Honda and other manufacturers say some is normal on these small turbos. The first 5th gens are just now reaching 30k on average and we aren't seeing failures at any sort of scale, and Honda is fixing those when they do fail. Everyone that says it is a certain future problem is speculating.

Suggest if you have any more questions to ask them in the larger oil dilution thread, mods are trying to consolidate discussion.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
Dealers have been doing this for years, at least where I live, mostly from Toyota dealers (when my father in law owned one and had it registered at our address.

Only you can decide if such an offer is right for you.

Personally.. I put them immediately into the round file as it is not my responsibility to help them with churning sales of both a new vehicle as well as the old vehicle. They will try to profit off of the spread and the sale of two vehicles... and honestly.. I am surprised Honda allows this from their dealers.
This practice is simply a sales tool dealers use. I've been contacted by my Honda dealer a few times about trading in my 2012 Pilot since I bought it new. I don't think about that until at least the car is 10 years old. It has been very reliable and I like it better than the newer Pilots anyway. Plus, it only has about 48,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Try getting an appraisal from CarMax first. When I bought my 2017 CRV AWD Touring, they offered me twice what the dealers offered for my Toyota Corolla trade in. I was out the door in 30 minutes with check in hand.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts