Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These pictures were snapped at a Honda Dealership and shared on the CRV Facebook Page. Note - these are not my pictures so no credit needed for me but thought I would share for those not in the FB group.

The first page is pretty interesting and answers some of the questions and theories flying around in here.

FB_IMG_1541485502195.jpg
FB_IMG_1541485518441.jpg
FB_IMG_1541485530747.jpg
FB_IMG_1541485536723.jpg
FB_IMG_1541485543459.jpg
FB_IMG_1541485549564.jpg

·
Registered
238 Posts
Interesting. At least in Canada all 2017 models get the climate control unit replaced along with the rest of the fix. The implications of this could be taken as - Honda believes there is sufficient concern that they feel mitigating the risk by issuing the fix to all 2017s is warranted. I'm still curious as to just what the running manufacturing was in 2018 that made this problem supposedly go away. And isn't the oil capacity 3.7L? If so I wonder why they're specifying 3.2L.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Interesting.
And isn't the oil capacity 3.7L? If so I wonder why they're specifying 3.2L.
No oil filter included with the oil change.
■Engine Oil
*2: 1.5 L engine models
·Capacity Change
3.4 US qt (3.2 L)*2
·Capacity Change including filter
3.7 US qt (3.5 L)*2

·
Registered
265 Posts
No oil filter included with the oil change.
■Engine Oil
*2: 1.5 L engine models
·Capacity Change
3.4 US qt (3.2 L)*2
·Capacity Change including filter
3.7 US qt (3.5 L)*2
I understand this whole deal is going to cost them but I wish they would do a little better than that. Would any do-it-yourself owner change their own oil and then purposely top it off with a pint of dirty contaminated oil?

·
Everything in Moderation
8,024 Posts
Would any do-it-yourself owner change their own oil and then purposely top it off with a pint of dirty contaminated oil?
Honda oil filters are recommended to be replaced EVERY OTHER normal oil change.

It has been shown by users on BobIsTheOilGuy.com that Honda's OEM filters do their job for more than 20,000 miles.

Any time you do an oil change you don't get ALL the old oil out. On my sports car, there is always 20% of the total capacity in the oil cooling system. And an inspection of the main and rod bearings showed very little wear (after 76K miles).

So, my opinion is that the amount of oil in a filter isn't going to contribute to any significant wear.

Rest easy.

PS: I'm NOT a fan-boy, I change my filters every time I change my own oil...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Honda oil filters are recommended to be replaced EVERY OTHER normal oil change.

It has been shown by users on BobIsTheOilGuy.com that Honda's OEM filters do their job for more than 20,000 miles.

Any time you do an oil change you don't get ALL the old oil out. On my sports car, there is always 20% of the total capacity in the oil cooling system. And an inspection of the main and rod bearings showed very little wear (after 76K miles).

So, my opinion is that the amount of oil in a filter isn't going to contribute to any significant wear.

Rest easy.

PS: I'm NOT a fan-boy, I change my filters every time I change my own oil...
Thanks for the info. Changing most of the oil is better than not changing it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Honda's statements could not better relate oil dilution and engine warm up times, again, no surprise there.

Interesting that not all 17-18 CRV get the Climate Control Unit replaced and there are different PGM and TCM modules that require different firmware updates.

But IMO, this is not related to the Engine Temp gauge dropping off suddenly, like @FastFJR reports, and a couple YouTube videos show. The common slow warm up and lack of heat reports are one thing, but a flaky temp gauge has not been a common report and appears to be a very different issue. Time will tell.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Great info, OP. Particularly this section:

Cropped.jpg

Since the US TSB is ridiculously vague, I find these details very useful.

EDIT: I also find the statements about excessive moisture being a problem intriguing. First time I've seen that, other than in the China recall discussions. "Moisture freezing in the oil pan" and "freezing of the rocker arm roller bearings." Hmm.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for sharing, they completed the recall on my 2017 Touring and I've definitely noticed it warms up faster in Drive, was previously using Sport mode to warm up.
Haven't noticed any fuel mileage differences and really to early to tell. It's gotten colder up here, so similar to any other vehicle in colder regions, always a little more thirsty.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thanks freestyler. There was another owner who reported much rougher engine performance. Anything seem different in this area?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Thanks for sharing, they completed the recall on my 2017 Touring and I've definitely noticed it warms up faster in Drive, was previously using Sport mode to warm up.
Haven't noticed any fuel mileage differences and really to early to tell. It's gotten colder up here, so similar to any other vehicle in colder regions, always a little more thirsty.

Good to hear!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Thanks freestyler. There was another owner who reported much rougher engine performance. Anything seem different in this area?
I got my 2017 Touring in Toronto done yesterday- I did not have any heat issues but still got the recall done. Honestly I do not notice any difference in drive- heating is slightly faster.
They did the hvac replacement and software update and oil change.

·
Registered
64 Posts
With slight adjustment in rpm, it honestly seems slightly more quicker, even more noticeable in sport mode. So the comment might be more around hearing more of a growl from CRV when giving her. Even prior to fix, when driving in sport mode I didn't notice a huge degradation in fuel economy, so I'm not expecting any significant impact.

The engine temp definitely heats up quicker and I have heat starting to blow much more quickly than in the past after several minutes of driving at 5 Celsius. But I do notice that engine temp will drop down a bit again when sitting at lights. After roughly 10 minutes, I'm at full engine heat and hot air blowing during city driving. If it was highway driving, would be much quicker.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Great info, OP. Particularly this section:

View attachment 126389

Since the US TSB is ridiculously vague, I find these details very useful.

EDIT: I also find the statements about excessive moisture being a problem intriguing. First time I've seen that, other than in the China recall discussions. "Moisture freezing in the oil pan" and "freezing of the rocker arm roller bearings." Hmm.
I'm actually surprised there hasn't been more discussion about the fact that Honda Canada is recalling every single 2017 vehicle for the N60 fix. I know that doesn't prove that every single one has the problem, but I would venture it does suggest Honda Canada has some evidence that they can't risk not rolling out the fix to every one. Would they go through that expense if it was only 1% of the 2017 models? What would the assumed percentage have to be in order for them to do this? I wonder.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts