Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda: @LuKnesSmonster Unfortunately it's been determined that CarPlay won't be backward compatible. Stay tuned for an announcement on '16 models.

I am very close to selling my 2015 CR-V because of this. I purposefully purchased this specific vehicle because of Honda's implied implementation of CarPlay. Yes, it was "implied" and not "guaranteed" but I along with a large number of 2015 owners are quite PO'd at the decision to make it a 2016 feature set.

Honda of course is not sharing the "why", and judging from the Beta test that took place here, it seems that the 2015s went off without a hitch. If anyone has any insight into this, I am all ears...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Honda: @LuKnesSmonster Unfortunately it's been determined that CarPlay won't be backward compatible. Stay tuned for an announcement on '16 models.

I am very close to selling my 2015 CR-V because of this. I purposefully purchased this specific vehicle because of Honda's implied implementation of CarPlay. Yes, it was "implied" and not "guaranteed" but I along with a large number of 2015 owners are quite PO'd at the decision to make it a 2016 feature set.

Honda of course is not sharing the "why", and judging from the Beta test that took place here, it seems that the 2015s went off without a hitch. If anyone has any insight into this, I am all ears...
I can't say I am surprised! They always have to have something to market for future model years. I don't however, understand wanting to sell your car and risk loosing thousands for a feature that was never advertised or guaranteed as being available of the 2015 model year. Also don't understand taking such a huge gamble in purchasing on the fact of an "implied" feature

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Really? You plunked down all that money for a CR-V and ASSummed it was CarPlay compatible? Yea, it would be another good idea to sell it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm still waiting for HondaLink Next Generation for Android to come out: that was, after all, part of the pitch. I'd hardly die without it - MirrorLink seems to work ok - but Honda are taking their sweet time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really? You plunked down all that money for a CR-V and ASSummed it was CarPlay compatible? Yea, it would be another good idea to sell it.
Yeah, you mean after Honda showed it in the 2014 Civic, my sales guy clearly said it was in the works for the 2015 model and Honda did successful beta testing for people on this forum....and they decide "nope, it's a 2016 feature".

Yeah I was surprised. And I did buy it with that in mind. I did get a decent deal, but I am now exceptionally disappointed that they will not explain the "why".

Do they "owe" it to me? No. But I don't "owe" them any business and I will actively make people aware of their brilliant decision making.

Will I sell it? Possibly if I can get out of it and find a vehicle with a similar feature set (but with working CarPlay).

·
Registered
454 Posts
I am very disappointed also!

I was hoping that my CRV could be retrofitted with it (and it doesn't sound like it is that difficult to do). Some of the early articles indicated that it most likely would be compatible with CarPlay and Android's system.

I have already determined that I will not own my CRV for 11 years like I owned my Camry for. I just don't find the CRV that comfortable to drive. Regardless of CarPlay - I will be trading this off in a few years for something more comfortable, and most likely CarPlay will be a priority (along with comfort).

I think the biggest disappointment is that Honda's Infotainment system is the worst I have ever navigated through. I also had high hopes that CarPlay would replace this.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I contacted Honda through Facebook and this was their response: Good afternoon (my name) at this time, we have not yet received information pertaining to CarPlay and which Honda models may have this feature. We understand the anticipation and appreciate your patience.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe they have toned down their comments this week. I have been searching for anyone who asks Honda about CarPlay and letting them know about their decision. I'm hoping there will be enough pressure to at least offer a release to those who want it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Maybe they have toned down their comments this week. I have been searching for anyone who asks Honda about CarPlay and letting them know about their decision. I'm hoping there will be enough pressure to at least offer a release to those who want it.
It was very similar to a message I asked about 3 months ago. Edited to say that I looked up my Facebook question to them from the end of February and they used the same words verbatim.

My dealer told me to call: Honda Hands Free Link Support Center at 888-528-7876 for any questions I have. I haven't called yet.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I wouldn't take too much stock in that one response. Besides the beta testing (which implies it is indeed possible to install CarPlay after the fact), they did mention to JD Power that they anticipated making CarPlay part of the system when discussing the 2015 CR-V. There is no logical reason to mention this in an article about the 2015 CR-V if it was going to be only on future model years.

Honda Reworks Popular CR-V with Significant Updates for 2015 Model Year

Plus, Honda anticipates making Apple CarPlay and Android Auto available with this system in the future.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have tested the CarPlay beta on 2015 CRV for half year now. I can honest say that it is way better than HondaLink. Having Siri on a car is really a killer application. It helps me to do a lot of tasks without even look at the screen, like making phone call, texting, playing music. But, the map function is not working very well. It always shows that it is facing north regardless of the direction of the car and hence navigation keep recalculating. I can't complain too much, since it is free and better than buying Honda's navigation solution. There are other bugs and instability issues, which may be fixed in the final version. Overall, I think CarPlay is really a big bonus to Honda CRV. It will be stupid for Honda not to upgrade current 2015 CRV's firmware to support CarPlay this year. This will certainly impact the resale value of the 2015 CRV in the future when all cars will equip with sort of smart car system. Imaging that you have to sell a car that can only play cassettes when the rest of the world are using CD.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have tested the CarPlay beta on 2015 CRV for half year now. I can honest say that it is way better than HondaLink. Having Siri on a car is really a killer application. It helps me to do a lot of tasks without even look at the screen, like making phone call, texting, playing music. But, the map function is not working very well. It always shows that it is facing north regardless of the direction of the car and hence navigation keep recalculating. I can't complain too much, since it is free and better than buying Honda's navigation solution. There are other bugs and instability issues, which may be fixed in the final version. Overall, I think CarPlay is really a big bonus to Honda CRV. It will be stupid for Honda not to upgrade current 2015 CRV's firmware to support CarPlay this year. This will certainly impact the resale value of the 2015 CRV in the future when all cars will equip with sort of smart car system. Imaging that you have to sell a car that can only play cassettes when the rest of the world are using CD.
Care to upload the file images so the rest of us can enjoy it? ;-)

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I have already determined that I will not own my CRV for 11 years like I owned my Camry for. I just don't find the CRV that comfortable to drive. Regardless of CarPlay - I will be trading this off in a few years for something more comfortable
Really. I got 11 years out of my 2000 CRV which was comfortable enough for me, and my 2009 is even more comfortable than my 2000 was. What is it that you find uncomfortable?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Care to upload the file images so the rest of us can enjoy it? ;-)
I don't think I can distribute the beta firmware. But, it is possible for Honda to upgrade the existing system by sending out a USB stick to the car owner. Then, all you have to do is plug in the USB stick and wait few minutes. So, I would suggest to keep bugging Honda's customer service until they release the final firmware with CarPlay.

·
Administrator
3,299 Posts
I don't think I can distribute the beta firmware. But, it is possible for Honda to upgrade the existing system by sending out a USB stick to the car owner. Then, all you have to do is plug in the USB stick and wait few minutes. So, I would suggest to keep bugging Honda's customer service until they release the final firmware with CarPlay.
Just upload a picture or two. That's not firmware!

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is really just not the right response from Honda. Kia just announced they are offering a software update for 2014-2017 models. So… this is doable. Especially since the beta for CarPlay on the 2015 Honda models worked just fine. bit.ly/HondaCarPlay
I can't say I am surprised! They always have to have something to market for future model years. I don't however, understand wanting to sell your car and risk loosing thousands for a feature that was never advertised or guaranteed as being available of the 2015 model year. Also don't understand taking such a huge gamble in purchasing on the fact of an "implied" feature

·
Registered
98 Posts
They're not going to release Car Play or Android Auto for the 2015 or 2016 model years. They want you to buy a new CR-V when those features become available. I'm so sick of car manufacturers ripping off their customers. Hyundai made this available already.

·
Administrator
3,299 Posts
Not every Hyundai is compatible with CarPlay Inc those with Nav according to their forum.
Hyundai engine problems are well documented on their forum.
CarPlay based on my limited experience isn't a panacea. It just introduces a different set of problems and annoyances.
The badge on the car is more important than CarPlay.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts