Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Kia just announced they are offering a software update for 2014-2017 models. So… this is doable. Especially since the beta for CarPlay on the 2015 Honda models worked just fine. bit.ly/HondaCarPlay
It may be possible, but not practical. You can watch HD YouTube videos on a 10 year-old desktop computer, but the processor can't keep up so it drops most of the frames resulting in poor video quality.

Apparently, the CarPlay beta test for the 2015 CR-V didn't work just fine - the hardware isn't fast enough to support the minimum experience required by Honda and/or Apple (probably the latter).

My 2017 Ridgeline has a similar user interface as my 2016 CR-V, but the Ridgeline runs Android on faster hardware - the speed and response is much improved. CarPlay works very well. Funny thing, though... I yearned for CarPlay in my CR-V. Now that I have it in my Ridgeline, I never use it. The menu is pretty, but the value of CarPlay (and Android Auto) is now questionable to me. I can navigate and listen to audio just fine through the built-in apps with no need for CarPlay. I now realize I can do without it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Honda's infotainment system is a Joke, Whichever [email protected]$$ designed it needs to fired.. For such a fantastic car, the headunit is just cancerous. Absolutely nothing works, i keep using the OK google on my android to make calls than the voice command in the car. Why can't they outright offer a software update, hopefully a dip in their market will help them get their head out of there ###..

So frustrated.. i just hate that a 7" screen on which the only thing I can do is display a wallpaper...

[/vent]

·
Registered
382 Posts
Carplay is Apples(12%) branded version of Android Auto. These systems make the link between the phone and vehicle stronger and easier to use. (commands, music, nav, etc)

The 2015/16 did not come with it, unfortunately. However, it still works flawlessly to pair with bluetooth for phone calls. The voice recognition of the 15/16 head unit is frustrating at best, so you're better off using the phone when issuing commands, initiating calls, or even using navigation. One side note: Long press on steering wheel will call up siri for apple users, but the same doesn't work for the rest of us/any other brand.

Android auto can also be installed as a phone app, if you have a nice phone mount installed in your car. That's the route I took, and when navigating I prefer the free WAZE app. The iottie charger base even has a wireless charging coil, so it always keeps the phone charged.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For those daredevils who want to try the beta CarPlay on your 2015 CR-V.
Here is the firmware update ver. 1.E201.58. https://www.sendspace.com/file/fsp01l (expiring 30days from today)
Put this update into a USB stick with FAT32 format. Then, insert it to the USB port of your 2015 CR-V

Disclaimer: It is a beta firmware and I have no comment here. I won't be responsible to any damage to your car. No warranty or whatsoever. You are on your own if you brick your system!

·
Registered
43 Posts
For those daredevils who want to try the beta CarPlay on your 2015 CR-V.
Here is the firmware update ver. 1.E201.58. https://www.sendspace.com/file/fsp01l (expiring 30days from today)
Put this update into a USB stick with FAT32 format. Then, insert it to the USB port of your 2015 CR-V

Disclaimer: It is a beta firmware and I have no comment here. I won't be responsible to any damage to your car. No warranty or whatsoever. You are on your own if you brick your system!
Did anyone try this? any directions prior to taking the plunge?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I keep getting "USB error". I have put the upgrade file in the root directory of 2 different USB sticks that are formatted FAT32 4K blocks. Is there a different extension required for the file named SWUpdate other than .mef?
What type and Brand of USB sticks works? I tried a cheapo 8 GB and a 128GB SanDisk without success.
I have not seen the screen where you select yes or no to upgrade after inserting the USB stick. I have no music files are on these USB sticks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The Original Firmware on my CRV Touring headunit is Ver 1.F101.01, Device No: 94ZDP415.
The downloadable firmware listed above most likely is for non-Nav headunits. I have 2015 Touring.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I recently added an Amazon Fire Tablet, Carlinkit (Wireless Carplay Dongle), OTG USB micro USB hub/cable with small Oontz angle solo bluetooth speaker to announce the Carplay directions inside my 2015 Touring CRV. I still listen to the OEM XM radio while driving to work 90 miles one way every day. Howard Stern makes a long drive MORE enjoyable on most days.
The tablet has to be tweaked to allow the Autokit APK file to be downloaded and saved to the tablet which allows the Carlinkit dongle to display CarPlay on the Tablet screen.
The OTG Hub allows 5V USB power to the CarPlay Dongle and Bluetooth speaker while passing the CarPlay signal to the Tablet's USB micro port.

Source for this project: How To Add Wireless CarPlay To Any Car With A Cheap Android Tablet + Adapter [Video]

MUCH CHEAPER THAN REPLACING THE OEM HEADUNIT. I also love Lanewatch and the options are limited and pricey to maintain two camera views on the radio head unit. The tablet allows me to mount the tablet above the radio screen so both screens are visible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I keep getting "USB error". I have put the upgrade file in the root directory of 2 different USB sticks that are formatted FAT32 4K blocks. Is there a different extension required for the file named SWUpdate other than .mef?
What type and Brand of USB sticks works? I tried a cheapo 8 GB and a 128GB SanDisk without success.
I have not seen the screen where you select yes or no to upgrade after inserting the USB stick. I have no music files are on these USB sticks.
I had to move the usb to port #2 inside the console and it took a little while to recognize the usb, but once it did it asked if I wanted to upgrade and started to copy to the headunit. It copied to 99% and seemed like it took a while and then rebooted and came back up with a "carplay" icon on the home screen. I plugged in my iphone cable to port 1 and it came right up. Pretty sweet deal.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had to move the usb to port #2 inside the console and it took a little while to recognize the usb, but once it did it asked if I wanted to upgrade and started to copy to the headunit. It copied to 99% and seemed like it took a while and then rebooted and came back up with a "carplay" icon on the home screen. I plugged in my iphone cable to port 1 and it came right up. Pretty sweet deal.
What model CRV do you have???? EX? EX-L? Touring?
Thanks for posting above!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts