Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I literally just got hom from purchasing a 2000 Honda CR-V. I've been in the market for a while, but hadn't made the decision to purchase one until I found one that was the color I wanted. Today browsing the local classifieds I came across an EBP one, so I had to go check it out. I did a Vehicle History Report and all was good, so I took it for a spin and bought it.

I'm now the 4th owner of it, it's been a Florida car all its life. Has 152,XXX miles on the odometer and still running strong. There are a few cosmetic things that need to be addressed, but I first have to tackle the minor issues it has. This isn't my first Honda, I had a 1997 Honda Civic a few years ago and as I'm sure you all know there's a lot of things similar between the 96-00 Civics and the 97-01 CR-Vs.

Anyway, that's enough about me. I'll be browsing and searching for guides on how to fix the issues I have, hopefully I can get this car running back to 100%.

Thanks for looking,
Danny

·
Vendor
441 Posts
Hi Danny and welcome on board! Glad to have you join us. Please, share some pics of how your car currently looks and also share your ideas and thoughts of what you might want to do with it. There are lots of great choices for parts, service and many owners willing to help you. If you ever have questions - feel free to reach out!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Below is the only picture I have at the moment, snapped it really quick this morning as I left for work. Hopefully tomorrow I can begin working on it and start tackling the issues it has before it's road ready and becomes my new daily.

2000_EBP_CR_V.jpg

I need to fix the following issues with it before anything:
  • Purchase an OEM gas cap, currently missing.
  • Power door locks don't work at all.
  • Driver's window does not go down. I can control all passenger windows via the master switch, but none work individually at their own door switch.
  • Overheating when driving on highway only (works fine in the city); probably needs a new radiator (clogged).
  • A/C is wired directly to turn on with the ignition; need to rewire back to OEM and properly diagnose the issue.
Once I tackle that list and it's 100% working, I can focus on other cosmetic things it needs. That would be things like:
  • Purchase missing interior trim panels (Type Y Interior Code)
  • Replace floor carpet
  • Detail interior/exterior
  • Restore outer trim (bumpers, flares, splash guards, door moldings, etc.)
  • Add OEM keyless entry
Then once that is done, I can start purchasing other OEM+ add-ons. Maybe an OEM roof rack, OEM side sport trim, OEM alloy wheels, etc.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Congrats on the vehicle.

Check local jusk yards and hopefully you have a pick and pull type yard. Always a great place to find stuff. Also keep an eye out on your local craigslist for people selling accessories or parting ones out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a few junkyards and Pick & Pull yards nearby. Unfortunately, none have 97-01 CRV's at the moment.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I have a few junkyards and Pick & Pull yards nearby. Unfortunately, none have 97-01 CRV's at the moment.
They can get parts via the Internet through other suppliers for you.

As much as I love my current CRV, I’ve always loved my 3 Gen.1 CRV’s!

Enjoy!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Welcome Danny to the forum, just what your looking for. You made a good choice with your purchase, ther'e getting harder to find.
My 97 just flipped 216 K and still a pleasure to drive(one owner). If you haven't look, look under driver seat, you may find a CD player, a lot were added. As for the radiator, only use OEM. Enjoy their great little beast. Good luck and more photo's.
David g.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks David! I'll take a look when I get home and see if it has a CD Player under the driver seat, although it does have an aftermarket headunit currently installed by the previous owner. Anyway, more photos will definitely come once I get the opportunity.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They can get parts via the Internet through other suppliers for you.

As much as I love my current CRV, I’ve always loved my 3 Gen.1 CRV’s!

Enjoy!

That is true, we'll see. I can always buy online through eBay and Amazon. Plus there's always the classifieds on Honda Forums and Craigslist.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Nice colour! Blue! Don't replace the radiator yet, as you might have a problem with the lower hose collapsing when going on the highway as this could be the cause of the overheating. Try to simulate it by revving the engine the same speed when your at highway speed when its at operating temperature & then see if the lower hose collapsing. The other windows might have a bad switches. Try to clean the contacts 1st then see what happens. Or try this open the doors in different angles, while operating their own switches see if they will roll up or down. If you need a Repair Manual I can point you in the right direction. Hopefully they did not butcher the a/c system. Do not wait very long to purchase a gas cap to prevent the gas from going bad. Also check this web page out. www.hondapartsnow.com

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all those tips! I have the Service Manual, so I'm using that to diagnose everything. I'll give it a go and see what results I get with the lower radiator hose, AC, and windows.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So just following up on my issues:

1. OEM Gas Cap arrived today, so that's fixed!
2. Power Door Lock switch was disconnected, removing the door panel
I noticed it. Plugged it back in and they work! Thank God it wasn't the wires at the door jams, lol. I do need to purchase a passenger side actuator, since when unlocking it only goes up halfway and doesn't fully unlock. Before I do that I'll remove the door panel and inspect it, might just be something in the way.
3. After doing some tests, the driver side window regulator needs replacing. Did all the tests per the service manual and it's the regulator motor. I gave it power and ground directly and nothing, so I'll replace that. As for the rest of the windows, I'm thinking my Master Switch is bad. I did the continuity tests per the Manual and it passed, however, it's not functioning how it's suppose to. I'm going to replace it.
4. Testing the A/C per the Manual, I believe the fault is the Blower Motor Resistor. Ordered a new one, so I'm going to see if that fixes it once it arrives.

I haven't checked the overheating yet, but hope to do that soon. I want to first resolve some of these electrical issues first. Will keep you guys posted!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So just more follow ups ...

1. Replaced the Master Switch and the power windows are working again. Today I receive my replacement driver side window regulator, so I can install it and be done with that.
2. The replacement Blower Motor Resistor arrived the other day, installed that and my A/C issue is resolved.
3. Started diagnosing the overheating issue, it wasn't the collapsed lower hose, but instead what I originally thought - a faulty radiator. Take a look at the picture below, lol. I already installed the new one last night. Today after work, I'll be doing the thermostat just to be safe and refilling the cooling system. Yay for progress!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hooray! I'm done with the "issues" I needed to tackle on my CRV. I can now turn my focus into cleaning it up because the previous owner didn't really take much care of it. Going to the scrapyard tomorrow to try my luck, I really need a new dark grey floor carpet as the current one has a spill of purple paint :/ I also need a few trim pieces and other little things.

I gotta give it a good vacuum, possibly shampoo the seats, and a nice cleaning on the exterior as well. I have to refresh the outer trims and bumpers with some fresh black trim paint.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally able to share some worthy pictures of the CR-V! It has come a long way since a few weeks ago when I bought it. I was able to fix all the issues and get it running perfect. I'm still planning on doing a timing belt/water pump change sometime soon, just for peace of mind.

Hunting the classifieds on a Facebook Group for 1st Gen CR-V's as well as Craigslist and eBay, I was able to scoop up some side nerf/sports bars, roof rack, visors, rear cargo rubber mat, new headlights, 50/50 tail lights, etc. I also removed all the trims and bumpers and refreshed them with some black trim paint. I still need to remove the old tint and get some fresh tint installed. I need to source a replacement interior cabin floor carpet, as the previous owner spilled some paint behind the driver side seat and it's bothering me. I also want to source some OEM floor mats for it, as I currently have none and I'm an OEM add-on freak :p

Anyway, here's how the CR-V sits as of today, hope you all approve:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts