Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, before I start this post I want to say that this was an accident. I didn't mean to do it. The parking lot was covered in snow and I started sliding on ACCIDENT. I wasn't drifting or anything like that.

Ok, here's the story.

I was cutting through my highschool parking lot. I was about to make a 80 degree turn. I was going about 15 and the lot was covered in snow and not plowed so I slowed down. When I did my tires locked up and I had no control. I gave it some gas so I could try to get it to drift back into control. It kinda worked except there was a curb where I wasn't expecting. All of the sudden THUMP! I hit a curb. I still was going about 15ish and mainly the drivers side wheel hit it. I backed off the curb and inspected the car. It looks ok... I drove it a little and it felt fine. I even drove it going 70MPH on the interstate and it wasn't pulling, vibrating, or anything. When braking hard it didn't pull either.

I think it is OK because there are no symptoms but I want to be sure. Is there any chance something is bent/broken that I don't know about?

Here is a few pictures of the drivers side tire from a few different angels. It looks like it may be a little low on air but not bent, does it?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What did I tell you about doing donuts in the parking lots?!!:D
Haha, I wasn't intending to slide. I was just cutting through the parking lot to get around a stopsign that had a long wait. :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For your peace of mind, I'd suggest taking it in to the dealer for a courtesy check.
But if I did that my parents would probably find out and they would be pissed! :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
My 2 cents:

You are driving a vehicle that likely needs either new tires or a good set of winter tires.

You are not familiar with the limitations of its 4 wheel drive system.

Your ABS didn't kick in?

Personally i think you need to slow down....Learn what your CRV can and can't do.....And a little patience can't hurt. Had you not cut thru the packing lot you wouldn't be left wondering what if any damage you have done to your vehicle.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My 2 cents:

You are driving a vehicle that likely needs either new tires or a good set of winter tires.

Your ABS didn't kick in?

Personally i think you need to slow down....Learn what your CRV can and can't do.....And a little patience can't hurt. Had you not cut thru the packing lot you wouldn't be left wondering what if any damage you have done to your vehicle.
problems definitely started with lack of patience. but everytime i see "DUELER" on the sidewall..........it's just headaches. get a set of new tires and get your allignment checked. tell the parents and save face now with your most sincere honesty, and beg for forgiveness. the more snow on the ground the more likely they are to help you fix that V. "it's very dangerous to be driving in all this snow in an unsafe car!"..............i was in high school too, you know. :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My 2 cents:

Your ABS didn't kick in?

I am familiar with the 4 wheel drive systems, I just wasn't thinking. The ABS did kick in but it didn't help much.

I drove the car some more last night and it is working fine. I don't think I damaged anything.

...and don't worry. I will not be cutting through a parking lot to get around a stop sign again. LOL.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
problems definitely started with lack of patience. but everytime i see "DUELER" on the sidewall..........it's just headaches. get a set of new tires and get your allignment checked. tell the parents and save face now with your most sincere honesty, and beg for forgiveness. the more snow on the ground the more likely they are to help you fix that V. "it's very dangerous to be driving in all this snow in an unsafe car!"..............i was in high school too, you know. :D
Haha yeah, I kinda mentioned it to my dad. I didn't tell him directly but I said something like, "You know the schools parking lot hasn't been cleared. Someone could almost slide off and hit a curb going 15 MPH." :D All he said was yeah, they should plow it. LOL.

I have started another thread about which tires to get.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Derrrrick,

You asked for advice, I'll give it. From what you posted in your first posting, it sounds as though you got away with no damage. If you damaged any steering parts or knocked your alignment out (means you damaged steering parts) you would see several things, first on a flat level road (no crown road or flat parking lot) the vehicle would not track straight, it would pull to a side, also the steering wheel would no longer be in the same position as it was when going straight before your episode (Honda emblem on steering wheel perfectly horizontal), assuming you have neither one of those two issues then your alignment should be good with not steering damage. While breaking if there is no pulling to one side, wheel wobble or pronounced shake through normal driving speeds then there is likely no damage there. If you damaged or bent the rim you would feel a pronounced wobble when driving, the front of the vehicle might shake and shimmy, you would not be able to drive 70 miles per hour on the highway and not feel an issue from a bent rim, so it sounds as though you as good in that respect. You could have slightly damaged the tire or caused a leak, just monitor the tire pressure the next couple of days (remember temperature will have an effect on tire pressure, colder goes down, warmer goes up). So overall if you cant feel any damage (wheel shakes, steering wheel pulls), you can see no visible damage (no dents, no scratches, no pushed in plastic) and the tire hit shows no signs of air leakage then you should be fine. Now that is not to say that your episode may not cause premature part failure, just that there is no immediate detectable damage. Short of having a full alignment done (4 wheel, will cost roughly $100) it would be difficult for anyone to do a courtesy inspection with any greater meaning than what you have done (professionals want to get paid for their time). One thing I will ask, do you know if the ABS kicked in? It should have and you should have felt it, a pulsing in the brake peddle. You could check that it is working in a large empty parking lot that is snow covered by hitting the breaks hard while going slow (10 MPH), you should break straight and feel / hear the ABS. The only other thing I'll say, like everyone else, if you skidded / lost control of your vehicle then you were driving beyond what the driving conditions called for. This is in part how we learn how to drive better (not that I'm saying that this is something anyone wants to do) just learn from it and move on. Next time on the snow remember this experience and adjust your driving. Lots of luck, Russ.

·
Registered
687 Posts
ABS only prevents the wheels from locking up in a rotational direction. VSA really, just prevents oversteer (spinning out). SO it's still very possible to slide sideways, while braking. I kno,w I did this 2 weeks ago, but at a low speed.

You did the right think getting off the brakes and applying some throttle ot get the car ot turn, but sometiems, in low grip situations, the car simply won't chnge dirction at any speed.

Making matters worse, it seems like most vehciles are set-up to understeer (plow the front end) in most situations. Ironaically, I say a review of a new Subaru Legacy and a negative that was mentioned was how it tended ot oversteet near the limit even with VSA enabled. I laughed, and thought how that's actually a positive, becasue it allwo you the ability to change direciton near the limit.... when most vehciles simply go straight.

I suspect your CR-V is fine. The alignment might be off a little, but I wouldn't worry about it UNTIL YOU FINALLY GET THOSE TIRES REPLACED!. :D I've bounced off curbs several times in different vehicles, and I don't think it ever affected the alignement. Once I even bent a rim.

The impact in reality, was probably dynamically no worse than the impact seen when hitting a large pothole.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts