Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to install an oil accumulator in order to provide oil pressure to the engine just prior to start-up. Since most engine wear occurs at start-up, it can do nothing but good. I'm thinking 2 quart capacity would be plenty but I want everything to work automatically. So I envision it working this way; As soon as the ignition key is turned to start the engine, a slight delay occurs when the valve on the accumulator opens and charges the engine with oil. Once 1 to 1 1/2 quarts of oil have been dispensed, the circuit is completed to the starter. After the engine starts the accumulator recharges with engine oil pressure.:)

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, I'm considering a proximity sensor to indicate when the piston in the accumulator almost at full stroke to enable the ignition.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
The delay I was referring to is when you turn the key and nothing happens during the delay. Getting the timing right on the length of the starter cycle so the engine starts but doesn't keep the starter engaged too long, could be problematic.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, I'm not implementing a timing circuit in the ignition, I'll simply hold the key in the start position until the starter is enebled. My intention is to have everything else work automatically.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I make this mod to my wife's rig, it's something I will have to consider and tinker with. She has a 2010 RAV4 with push button start.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I measured oil pressure at idle is morning 80 psi! Wow! I'm going to order the accumulator today.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, so I'm finally starting the oil accumulator project. I have everything figured out. At this point, the engine should see at least 50 psi of oil pressure before the engine begins to turn over. The starter cut out relay will be enabled as soon as the oil pressure is achieved. Delay in starter engagement is expected to be about .5 seconds. Just messin around but I'm an engine guy and most engine wear occurrs at startup. Just getting started.
image.jpg

·
Registered
490 Posts
Sweet project, and a great idea!

What will be the source of your oil pressure? As well, where will your piston deliver this pressure to?

I think the K-tuned guys also use a T fitting that goes between the engine and the oil pressure sensor. That could effectively be your in and out, as long as you're only pulling oil while its running, and vice versa.

Take this how ever you want to, but I dont think starting the engine at the end of it's stoke is a great idea. At that point, it would have stopped making pressure already. Maybe 80-90% through it's cycle would be a good point to turn the key, while it's still under pressure.

+Subscribed

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sweet project, and a great idea!

What will be the source of your oil pressure? As well, where will your piston deliver this pressure to?

I think the K-tuned guys also use a T fitting that goes between the engine and the oil pressure sensor. That could effectively be your in and out, as long as you're only pulling oil while its running, and vice versa.

Take this how ever you want to, but I dont think starting the engine at the end of it's stoke is a great idea. At that point, it would have stopped making pressure already. Maybe 80-90% through it's cycle would be a good point to turn the key, while it's still under pressure.

+Subscribed
Actually, I've decided to use an SPDT adjustable oil pressure switch and have it trigger the starter when the engine sees 50 psi. So, I'm leaving the accumulator piston position completely out of the operation. Keeping it simple.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts