Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive had a mooch around the interweb and ive seen recommendations of everything between 0w20 to 10w40
can anyone tell me what im supposed to use and whether its semi or fully synthetic..also whats the capacity, some places say 3.9 litres and others 4.2 litres
do i go oem for the filter or just a decent brand
car is a 2006 2.0 litre ivtec
thanks guys

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,419 Posts
Can you get a manual in PDF? You can in America, on the Honda Ownerlink.

owners.honda.com

If you go to Honda.com you should be able to link up to an owners manual in the UK.

Sometimes the recommended weight for your 2.0L petrol engine can be found on your oil fill cap. :rolleyes: Different weight were recommended for different markets.

JMHO, in the UK you could use anything from 5W-20 to 0W-40, with 6K - 7K miles between changes. The recommendations were originally for non-synthetic oil (although I have always used synth).

Our engines are 2.4L so I won't mention capacity...but if you have 4L on hand, start by filling with 3L and use the dipstick to top up to the range on the dipstick.

Filters opinions are varied. In the USA our main dealer's OEM filters are very reasonable in price and are made by Fram or Filtech. Honda only recommends a filter change every other oil change, so if you use a name-brand filter each time your engine will be well-served.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you get a manual in PDF? You can in America, on the Honda Ownerlink.

owners.honda.com

If you go to Honda.com you should be able to link up to an owners manual in the UK.

Sometimes the recommended weight for your 2.0L petrol engine can be found on your oil fill cap. :rolleyes: Different weight were recommended for different markets.

JMHO, in the UK you could use anything from 5W-20 to 0W-40, with 6K - 7K miles between changes. The recommendations were originally for non-synthetic oil (although I have always used synth).

Our engines are 2.4L so I won't mention capacity...but if you have 4L on hand, start by filling with 3L and use the dipstick to top up to the range on the dipstick.

Filters opinions are varied. In the USA our main dealer's OEM filters are very reasonable in price and are made by Fram or Filtech. Honda only recommends a filter change every other oil change, so if you use a name-brand filter each time your engine will be well-served.
thanks buddy, ill go have a look

·
Registered
131 Posts
Use the owner's manual. I use Valvoline 0W20 Full Synthetic with MaxLife and NAPA Gold/Wix filter (Done by ASE shop). Just make sure the dipstick level is good.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
1,751 Posts
ive had a mooch around the interweb and ive seen recommendations of everything between 0w20 to 10w40
can anyone tell me what im supposed to use and whether its semi or fully synthetic..also whats the capacity, some places say 3.9 litres and others 4.2 litres
do i go oem for the filter or just a decent brand
car is a 2006 2.0 litre ivtec
thanks guys
Here's the website to download the UK's CRV owner's manual ....I'm guessing it's in real English😉

Edited: Cool, they only recommend 0W30 to 10W30 unless you use Honda's 0W20 oil

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
How does one delete or edit a post??
I copied part of a screen shot below. You see those three dots lined up vertically? Click on that.

You will then see this:

Then click on "Edit". Change whatever you want to change and then click the blue "save" button. I don't see a way to delete, but if you edit you can simply delete everything and type something else.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
There is no way to delete, unfortunately. What I do is edit the post (as described above) and wipe out all the text and just enter "deleted", then save it. Maybe the mods will see it and delete it, maybe not.

Or click on "report post" and then the mods will see it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks guys, ive gone for 5w 30....i had a look at the manuals but they dont seem to go older than 2015

1 - 14 of 14 Posts