Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Just bought a 2011 CRV and need to do an oil change. I’ve spent some time reading the forum and just wanted to verify if these are ok?
BB244089-9478-4D72-ABB3-851F9455F49F.jpg

·
Registered
810 Posts
Your selections look fine. Any name-brand 0w-20 you can find will do a very good job and Castrol is certainly a safe choice. Mobil1 oil filers are good, too, but so are OEM Honda filters, Fram UltraGuards and the like.

How much do you know about the car's maintenance up to now? If it's unknown or has perhaps been neglected a bit you may want to be cautious before going to an extended oil change interval. And perhaps change the oil filter every oil change rather than every other as Honda suggests.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your selections look fine. Any name-brand 0w-20 you can find will do a very good job and Castrol is certainly a safe choice. Mobil1 oil filers are good, too, but so are OEM Honda filters, Fram UltraGuards and the like.

How much do you know about the car's maintenance up to now? If it's unknown or has perhaps been neglected a bit you may want to be cautious before going to an extended oil change interval. And perhaps change the oil filter every oil change rather than every other as Honda suggests.
That’s a good point, you mean I should use a different filter and change the oil at 3000miles?

·
Registered
810 Posts
That’s a good point, you mean I should use a different filter and change the oil at 3000miles?
It may be overkill, but if the prior maintenance is unknown an oil and filter change at 3k, a couple at 5k and then going to your normal interval may be the safest thing to do. It's not a big cost item and sure can't hurt.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,177 Posts
If you are going to do a couple short 3000 mile drains, any 5W-20 or 5W-30 dino oil would do fine. Synthetic is best for long-term, IMO.

The M1 filter is a fine one, but its expensive. At BobIsTheOilGuy.com, it has been verified that the factory filters CAN last every-other-OCI as the factory recommends. (But, I don't know of anyone who doesn't change the filter every oil change...) :rolleyes:

++++++++++

I'd peek under the oil filler cap to check how clean the engine innards are. (Or if you are REALLY gung-ho on maintenance, adjust the valves! It's worth it.):)

How many miles on your V? Post a pic of under the cap.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I change the filter every other oil change. Why?

1) With the fuel dilution my CRV produces I change oil considerably more frequently than the MM suggests
2) Honda has said this is OK for years and must believe it's filters can run for 20,000'milesmor more without issue
3) The oil filter's capacity is tiny (6 ounces or so), which is a small part of the residual oil during an oil change, so it's not a significant increase in the amount of old oil remaining after an oil change.
4) Not changing the filter is one less time the engine runs without oil pressure for a couple seconds
5)Without changing the filter, I can use an oil extractor to draw oil out through the dipstick tube. Quick, easy and clean: don't even have to change clothes.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
OK... ;)

You are the first to admit that!

PS Your reasons are valid.
Check out the filtering efficiency of the Factory oil filter.
You may be surprised at what the numbers are. (Could be the reason Honda recommends changing it every other change).
Course, the newer ones perhaps have better ratings, as the old ones were in the 80 percentile for smaller particles while even the poorest Frams were in the upper 90's.
BTW, I also change my oil filter with every oil change, around 5k miles. I use the Fram Ultra Synthetic Oil Filter which is rated for a lot more miles (15k miles) than I leave it on for.
I also use a high quality synthetic motor oil. Usually either Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum.
Waste of money, not in my mind.

Buffalo4

·
Registered
810 Posts
Check out the filtering efficiency of the Factory oil filter.
You may be surprised at what the numbers are. (Could be the reason Honda recommends changing it every other change).
Course, the newer ones perhaps have better ratings, as the old ones were in the 80 percentile for smaller particles while even the poorest Frams were in the upper 90's.
BTW, I also change my oil filter with every oil change, around 5k miles. I use the Fram Ultra Synthetic Oil Filter which is rated for a lot more miles (15k miles) than I leave it on for.
I also use a high quality synthetic motor oil. Usually either Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum.
Waste of money, not in my mind.

Buffalo4
Yup, I realize Honda OEM filters have low efficiency numbers on paper, and therefore should become more efficient as mileage accumulates. But as Hondas don't seem to have short lifespans it seems this doesn't matter.

While I have used Honda filters, I typically use the same Fram Ultras you do; Mobil1, too. The every other oil change filter swap isn't a money thing with me, it's really just convenience with no apparent downside. And with my fuel dilution issues (including sump level increases), my oil change interval is so short (3 mos/2k winter, 4 months/4K summer), I'm hardly stretching any filter's capability.

And before a certain member here chimes in and calls me out on my fuel dilution complaints as he has done repeatedly before, I should point out I've been to the dealer with UOA documentation multiple times for this issue and to American Honda as well. Even had a case number. Response? "Nothing to see here, please stop bothering us."

·
Registered
7 Posts
i have been using union sangyo filters on my 2011. they are just like the 01 filter when i first got it i changed the oil and filter. the oil got really dirty after 5k miles and i changed it again a few days ago.

i put castol magnatec in first and pennzoil platinum. lot of detergent in synthetic oil if you don't know the history of your new vehicle do a short oil change to clean it up

·
Registered
36 Posts
I recently bought a 2009 CRV with 82K miles. I was able to get a complete service record for this vehicle, and noticed that the dealer was doing the oil/filter changes @ ~ 7K intervals. At first I thought this was a little long between changes, since I would not go longer than 5K on my other cars, but with some research found that this interval would be typical for this car, and most likely indicated by the MM display.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Just remember, if you change the oil more frequently than the Maintenance Minder indicates is needed, and you reset the MM, then you will not see important reminders of needed maintenance items such as differential, transmission, coolant, filter changes, tire rotation etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts