Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I was given "free" oil changes at the dealer with the purchase of my 2018 CR-V. I know this is just to get me back in the dealership so that they can overcharge me for tire rotation and air filters. But, I'm doing it anyhow...

One thing I have noticed is that an oil change always takes at least two hours to perform. Is there something exceptionally difficult about the oil change for these vehicles? Or is it just a lack of staffing/urgency at my dealership? What is your experience like at your Honda dealer?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Yeah.. generally about two hours (and that is with an appointment) for a A or B service. More if numbered maintenance pops up as well.. but not much more. Seems to be the queue into the service bay more so then the actual service.

The service rep meets me immediately, confirms my appointment, checks for any open campaigns or recalls that apply to my VIN, and then they take the vehicle back into the service area... while I sit down have a free coffee and pastry and relax and read a book.

That said.. I do arrive on an early appointment (most often 7:15-7:30), and yet I don't think the actual maintenance techs start on the first vehicle until after 8:00.

Nature of the beast with dealers in my experience. My dealer does offer a free LYFT ride home if I don't want to wait and come back later in the day to pick up the vehicle.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Dang, I guess I'm spoiled. The one time I took my V to a dealership for service I was in and out in about 45 minutes and it included changing the rear diff fluid. Though I did almost bust out laughing at their service price sign where it said $60 to replace the cabin air filter.

·
Super Moderator
3,222 Posts
Air filters, both cabin and engine, can be done in ten minutes by yourself at much less cost than at a dealer.. Dealers should take a leaf from the quickie oil change shops and line up the customers in their cars who just need an oil change. tire pressure check etc.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Somebody please explain to me why that flimsy cheaply made POS cabin filter costs $5 more than the much more substantially made engine air filter?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Somebody please explain to me why that flimsy cheaply made POS cabin filter costs $5 more than the much more substantially made engine air filter?
Because people are willing to pay that much. But if you order them from Amazon, Epauto or Ecoguard sells them for around $5 - $6.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, ebay for engine and cabin air filters. Dirt cheap. I buy several at a time and get an even better price.

Now, back on topic: oil changes...

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
My apologies for the hijack.....sorry.

At Amazon, I’m seeing most, not all, engine air filters for the Gen 5 CRV cheaper than the cabin filter. My point is, the cabin filter construction is cheap/flimsy compared to the construction of the engine air filter. The original Honda engine air filter I replaced a while back is substantially better construction than POS Honda cabin filter I just replaced (both Frams).

When you walk into an auto parts store for a widget, do you tell the counter person “just because others are willing to pay that much, I’m not”? I’ll have to give that a try sometime.🤭

·
Registered
404 Posts
Proper Honda procedure per some of our forum experts calls for checking oil level on a stone cold engine after OC. So 2 hours might not even be enough. ;)

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
It takes about 2 hours to do an oil and filter change at my dealer. It's free. I also have my tires rotated ($24.00). They do a inspection of car. Still under warranty so I don't mind inspection. The only suggestion they come up with is fuel injector cleaner ($160), which I decline. No pressure.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Proper Honda procedure per some of our forum experts calls for checking oil level on a stone cold engine after OC. So 2 hours might not even be enough. ;)
I don't think anyone here has ever said/used the words "proper Honda procedure" and "stone cold engine" in the same sentence.

I'm old/fat, don't have a lift/pit. Takes about 30 minutes to drain the pan, remove the filter, fill new filter, fill the motor with cold oil, including removal/installation of the cover. If it took me two hours, I'd be seriously drunk by then.:giggle:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Oh, the good old time a year ago where the OD issue was fiercely debated and yes, stone cold and oil level checking were in the same post. Might not be verbatim. Some did even claim it had to be precisely X minutes. I can't remember accurately.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I don't think anyone here has ever said/used the words "proper Honda procedure" and "stone cold engine" in the same sentence.............
Oh, the good old time a year ago where the OD issue was fiercely debated and yes, stone cold and oil level checking were in the same post. Might not be verbatim. Some did even claim it had to be precisely X minutes. I can't remember accurately.
If I said/used the words/statement "proper Honda Procedure" AND "stone cold engine" in the same sentence implying that that was Honda's oil level checking procedure,then I stand corrected. I don't recall using/saying "proper Honda procedure" and "stone cold engine" in the same sentence.🤷‍♂️ I may have said I prefer to check the oil level when the motor is cold, but that's my opinion........not Honda's stated procedure.;)

I don't recall myself or anyone else saying/posting that 'Honda's (oil level check) procedure is when the engine is stone cold'.🤷‍♂️ Seems like I do remember the statements "precisely X minutes" and "precisely at the top mark", or something like that.:giggle:

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Perhaps you are just taking a cynical shot here at some forum member(s) ( /shrug) but since you brought this up....

People can and do say or claim anything they want on the internet. Which is why any claims or statements are worth vetting before taking them seriously, especially where any issue of controversy arises.

In the case of the gen5 CRV, with either the 1.5T or 2.4 ... Proper Honda procedure (from the owners manual) is to check the oil level whenever you refuel (and that would imply a warm engine since you had to drive to a gas station), 3 minutes after shutting down the engine, parked, on a level surface.

2017 CRV Owners manual, page 559:
We recommend that you check the engine oil level every time you refuel.
Park the vehicle on level ground.
Wait approximately three minutes after turning the engine off before you check the
oil.
1. Remove the dipstick (orange).
2. Wipe the dipstick with a clean cloth or
paper towel.
3. Insert the dipstick back all the way into its
hole.
4. Remove the dipstick again, and check the
level. It should be between the upper and
lower marks. Add oil if necessary.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Perhaps you are just taking a cynical shot here at some forum member(s) ( /shrug) but since you brought this up....

People can and do say or claim anything they want on the internet. Which is why any claims or statements are worth vetting before taking them seriously, especially where any issue of controversy arises.

In the case of the gen5 CRV, with either the 1.5T or 2.4 ... Proper Honda procedure (from the owners manual) is to check the oil level whenever you refuel (and that would imply a warm engine since you had to drive to a gas station), 3 minutes after shutting down the engine, parked, on a level surface.

2017 CRV Owners manual, page 559:
Basically, it's saying don't check your oil when the engine is running, or just after you turn it off. Wait until the oil has drained back into the pan.

I'm not sure why this is such a big debate on this forum. There is no magic window in time to check it. Checking it in the morning is fine.

Random reference: https://mobiloil.com/en/faq/ask-our-auto-experts/questions-for-auto-experts/should-oil-levels-be-checked-when-the-engine-is-hot-or-cold

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
In my opinion only, there’s absolutely positively (there’s those words again) no way to touch a really hot spot if the dipstick is pulled/checked on a stone cold motor.👍 Kinda like when checking oil level right after changing the oil/filter.......unless one can drain oil, change the filter and re-fill in 3 minutes.🤷‍♂️

1 - 20 of 61 Posts