Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oil Change Expectations

9K views 65 replies 25 participants last post by  Nuke 
#1 ·
All,

I was given "free" oil changes at the dealer with the purchase of my 2018 CR-V. I know this is just to get me back in the dealership so that they can overcharge me for tire rotation and air filters. But, I'm doing it anyhow...

One thing I have noticed is that an oil change always takes at least two hours to perform. Is there something exceptionally difficult about the oil change for these vehicles? Or is it just a lack of staffing/urgency at my dealership? What is your experience like at your Honda dealer?

#3 ·
Yeah.. generally about two hours (and that is with an appointment) for a A or B service. More if numbered maintenance pops up as well.. but not much more. Seems to be the queue into the service bay more so then the actual service.

The service rep meets me immediately, confirms my appointment, checks for any open campaigns or recalls that apply to my VIN, and then they take the vehicle back into the service area... while I sit down have a free coffee and pastry and relax and read a book.

That said.. I do arrive on an early appointment (most often 7:15-7:30), and yet I don't think the actual maintenance techs start on the first vehicle until after 8:00.

Nature of the beast with dealers in my experience. My dealer does offer a free LYFT ride home if I don't want to wait and come back later in the day to pick up the vehicle.

#5 ·
Dang, I guess I'm spoiled. The one time I took my V to a dealership for service I was in and out in about 45 minutes and it included changing the rear diff fluid. Though I did almost bust out laughing at their service price sign where it said $60 to replace the cabin air filter.

#7 ·
Air filters, both cabin and engine, can be done in ten minutes by yourself at much less cost than at a dealer.. Dealers should take a leaf from the quickie oil change shops and line up the customers in their cars who just need an oil change. tire pressure check etc.

#9 ·
Somebody please explain to me why that flimsy cheaply made POS cabin filter costs $5 more than the much more substantially made engine air filter?

#12 ·
My apologies for the hijack.....sorry.

At Amazon, I’m seeing most, not all, engine air filters for the Gen 5 CRV cheaper than the cabin filter. My point is, the cabin filter construction is cheap/flimsy compared to the construction of the engine air filter. The original Honda engine air filter I replaced a while back is substantially better construction than POS Honda cabin filter I just replaced (both Frams).

When you walk into an auto parts store for a widget, do you tell the counter person “just because others are willing to pay that much, I’m not”? I’ll have to give that a try sometime.?

#15 ·
I don't think anyone here has ever said/used the words "proper Honda procedure" and "stone cold engine" in the same sentence.

I'm old/fat, don't have a lift/pit. Takes about 30 minutes to drain the pan, remove the filter, fill new filter, fill the motor with cold oil, including removal/installation of the cover. If it took me two hours, I'd be seriously drunk by then.:giggle:

#14 ·
It takes about 2 hours to do an oil and filter change at my dealer. It's free. I also have my tires rotated ($24.00). They do a inspection of car. Still under warranty so I don't mind inspection. The only suggestion they come up with is fuel injector cleaner ($160), which I decline. No pressure.

#20 · (Edited)
In my opinion only, there’s absolutely positively (there’s those words again) no way to touch a really hot spot if the dipstick is pulled/checked on a stone cold motor.? Kinda like when checking oil level right after changing the oil/filter.......unless one can drain oil, change the filter and re-fill in 3 minutes.?‍♂

#24 ·
I would be happy to decode if I understood what is not understood.

#26 ·
Thanks for starting small......every little bit helps my small brain.

Pick a spot close to the orange monster......it will be hotter than hell, when the motor is hotter than hell. Even the hood prop rod has a "hot" warning sticker.

No worries fiddling with the orange monster or the prop rod when the motor is "stone cold".

Next question please.

Reactions: Mike728
#28 ·
Personally, I check the oil as per the Honda recommendations.. which means a hot engine as well. I have NEVER, in all my years owning various Hondas, ever burned my hand or arm doing so. I could certainly see how someone being completely careless or oblivous of a hot engine could manage to burn themselves.. but I would submit that they would have to be actually grabbing other engine parts in order to do so. The dipstick will be warm, but not hot. Same for the hood hold rod, and the hood as well.

Separately.. on the current generatioin Accords.. they actually went to aluminum for the hood, which makes it light weight to lift, and it in fact is pretty cool to the touch even when the engine is hot. I expect we may see an aluminum hood on the gen6 CRVs as well when they eventually come.

#30 ·
Since we are here talking aluminum hood this is one and I tell you, when yo grab the hood to Lift HOLD BACK, I can not agree more about working on hot oil. and getting your hands in it. Many won;t Know that feeling here as they are just KB junkies . OOPS DIY'ers never in this Life time or on any car, Yes Won't Lie. did I ever Burn myself. Yes I burned an image in my mind that I am Sensitive to things in Life Lol

see vid if you want to see another car get an oil change Lol what I am good on.

Dam wrong video let me place up the write one I do make Mistakes WAH wahh.

#33 ·
Since we are here talking aluminum hood this is one and I tell you, when yo grab the hood to Lift HOLD BACK, I can not agree more about working on hot oil. and getting your hands in it. Many won;t Know that feeling here as they are just KB junkies . OOPS DIY'ers never in this Life time or on any car, Yes Won't Lie. did I ever Burn myself. Yes I burned an image in my mind that I am Sensitive to things in Life Lol
Yeah.. changing out hot oil is certainly a scenario for getting burned for sure, if you are careless.

Yet.. that is exactly what all the oil change services do.. so I'm going to give a (y) for the human mind being able to adapt to it's surroundings .... get burned once or twice.. and the human mind makes the connection to not touch the hot oil... much less let it drip on you. :)

#31 ·
I've never gone to a stealership but yea that seems kinda high. I change mine in the driveway under 5 minutes actual labor, and under 15m getting supplies, cleanup, used oil transfer to sealed container and test run the car.
But then I have 2015 and it's possible the new ones are build more difficult to change.

#35 · (Edited)
I checked the oil level this morning (hood up all night as usual) before starting the V. Ambient temp 63F. Drove our usual 7 mile round trip to breakfast. Pulled into the garage, set timer on phone for 3 minutes, grabbed the trusty ol' Raytek. Think I'll stick with the cold motor oil level check.

#38 ·
My Balls are Freezing is it the right time to do the Oil inspection not they need to be More Blue. its not going to Jive in my WOrld or will relate to Yours,You'll simply be babying this to death and we'll all be moved along to a flying car by then, Sorry I already had two cups of Coffee, I need a stronger Brew than Star-bucks now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.