Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am a relatively new car owner and I want to keep my 2017 EX-L in great shape. The oil was changed 6 months ago, or about 4,000 miles ago. We live in Brooklyn, so it doesn't get lots of commuting mileage, so should I plan to get the oil changed every six months or every x miles? Should I request to have the filter changed as well? We bought the car last August from a NJ dealership.

Thanks!
Amy

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
I agree with Wiley_11.

The Maintenance Minder uses a fairly robust set of metrics to determine oil life draw down.. including weather, driving conditions, loading on the vehicle, miles, time, etc.

The only exception would be if you have a CRV that experiences abnormal oil level rise
due to the dreaded abnormal oil dilution issue, in which case... more frequent changes may make you feel more secure about the issue and it's impact on your oil life.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I'm also a believer in the Maintenance Minder, and letting it tell me when it's time to take my CR-V in for servicing.

And I do have to add a complaint, as each time I take it to my local Honda Dealer they try to sell me services that the Maintenance Minder has not said are due, which usually includes them suggesting that I change the oil every 3,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,026 Posts
What does your Oil percentage say now 100%, 90%, 80%, 70%, 60%, 40%, 40%, 30%, 20%, 15%, 10%, 5% Oil due.

changing oil is easy See one do one teach one. stop on bye....

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Yep, as others have said, go by the MM and also as stated, a new filter is cheap. After 2 years of ownership, we're getting about 4K miles when MM light turns on at 15%. Pop the hood once a week, check the dipstick, have a look around.

Check around locally for a Powder Puff 101 auto maintenance class offered in your area......you'll have a blast and learn all kinds of things about maintaining an auto.(y)

Reactions: VIVADUDE and SLS

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just do oil and filter every 5k miles. It's easy to keep track of and cheap insurance since these engines (and most DI engines) are known to have high fuel content in the oil and turbos can be pretty hard on oil. I'm surprised to see the MM hitting 4k for some, must have drastically different driving styles/commutes. Mine has been going 10k before triggering the MM. I do follow the MM for other maintenance items though except engine and cabin air filters, those I just inspect regularly and change when needed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello and where do I find this Maintenance Minder? (Afraid to ask) :)

I have time off now so I felt like if it's every six months, then I'll bring in February and late July when I'm off

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
I just do oil and filter every 5k miles. It's easy to keep track of and cheap insurance since these engines (and most DI engines) are known to have high fuel content in the oil and turbos can be pretty hard on oil. I'm surprised to see the MM hitting 4k for some, must have drastically different driving styles/commutes. Mine has been going 10k before triggering the MM. I do follow the MM for other maintenance items though except engine and cabin air filters, those I just inspect regularly and change when needed.
Nothing wrong with your approach, as long as 5K miles takes place inside a 12 month interval.

I am a poster child example for the MM doing it's job. I drive between 2500 and 3000 miles per year, almost all short trips in town. The MM pops at 15% for me at around 2700 miles or 12 months. Specifically.... the first oil change popped for me one week before my one year of ownership (2600 miles). My second oil change popped for me at 2860 miles (11 months after my prior oil change).

I make this comment to convey two things to other owners in the context of this thread:

1) The MM works really well on the gen5 CRVs.. in terms of tracking oil life based on actual operating factors (rather then just mileage, like in the old days of MMs in CRVs).

2) There is NO magic number of miles that = right time to change oil.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We have a 2018 EX-L a little over a year old with 21,000 miles. We do a lot of long distance driving, I have the oil changed every 5,000 miles regardless of the minder. Although I haven’t experienced any oil dilution problems yet, just doing the more frequent oil changes to be on the safe side.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,026 Posts
my offer stands I'll video it as i change it and treat it like my car. .

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Hello and where do I find this Maintenance Minder? (Afraid to ask) :)

I have time off now so I felt like if it's every six months, then I'll bring in February and late July when I'm off
Was there an Owner's Manual with your V?.....just about everything you need to know about your V is in there.(y)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Mine pops up around 3,5 K. I wish I had 10k. My commute is Brooklyn to Manhattan 5 times a week making 26 miles( a day) round trip with more than an hour in traffic each way.
Yep, fairly different. Mine is 35 miles each way, all low traffic, divided highway at 70-75mph. Takes about 30-35 minutes.

Nothing wrong with your approach, as long as 5K miles takes place inside a 12 month interval.

I am a poster child example for the MM doing it's job. I drive between 2500 and 3000 miles per year, almost all short trips in town. The MM pops at 15% for me at around 2700 miles or 12 months. Specifically.... the first oil change popped for me one week before my one year of ownership (2600 miles). My second oil change popped for me at 2860 miles (11 months after my prior oil change).

I make this comment to convey two things to other owners in the context of this thread:

1) The MM works really well on the gen5 CRVs.. in terms of tracking oil life based on actual operating factors (rather then just mileage, like in the old days of MMs in CRVs).

2) There is NO magic number of miles that = right time to change oil.
I've put 21k miles on my CR-V since last May so the 5k is well within a 12 month period. I do follow the OLM on my truck (GMC Canyon) though because it doesn't get driven much and it varies greatly so 5k could be a few months or a year depending on what all truck things I have going on at any given time.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hello! I am a relatively new car owner and I want to keep my 2017 EX-L in great shape. The oil was changed 6 months ago, or about 4,000 miles ago. We live in Brooklyn, so it doesn't get lots of commuting mileage, so should I plan to get the oil changed every six months or every x miles? Should I request to have the filter changed as well? We bought the car last August from a NJ dealership.

Thanks!
Amy
I've owned Hondas since 1981. Currently 2014 CRV. Proficient in engine building as well. My preference has always been to exceed manufacturer recommendations. I pamper my engines. City driving is harder on a engine than open road/freeway/expressway. I recommend using a top synthetic, changing at 5k intervals, new filter each time. I used to use racing application synthetic later finding other more common synth's do fine. Engine oil is its lifeblood. Happy motoring!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Y'all don't get free oil changes? That was a negotiating point I use every time a trade vehicles. I get free oil changes and filters as long as I own the car. I use the Maintenance Minder that tells me when my oil has 15% life left and get it changed in the next couple weeks. That's usually after 8-9,000 miles.

I also have them rotate the tires but I pay for that. I change my own air and cabin fliters on New Years' Day. Each one takes about five minutes and cost about $20 for both on Amazon.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Does the maintenance minder actually analyze the oil or is it just the computer compiling all your driving data? I ask because if it's the latter and you use synthetic, you should be able to go longer than the MM.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Once a year, or when the car tells you to. Technically, it only needs a filter every other change.
I think others here have noted to change the oil filter every oil change. Why?
1) you don't need to remember "did I change the filter last time?
2) Why would you dirty up all that new oil with an old filter?
3) Filters are not that expensive. (They are usually right near the oil at the auto store.)
4) Makes you crawl underneath your vehicle and do a quick inspection (CV-joints, oil leaks, etc.)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts