Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV EXL
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering how the oil change monitor works on my 07 CRV. I know it takes in different
conditions but mostly I'd like to know if it considers whether the oil is synthetic or dino.
I believe synthetic doesn't need changed as frequently as dino.

·
2,805 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I don't believe it does differentiate between synthetic and dino. It's mileage based. You might read up on it in your owner's manual, but I don't recall seeing anything in there on that - I also have an '07. There are as many opinions as people on this topic, and a ton of posts here on it you can read.

·
Registered
495 Posts
The MM does not know what brand, weight, or type of oil that is in the crankcase. The onboard computer system in your vehicle continuously monitors the engine operating conditions such as speed, engine and ambient temperature, time and the vehicle use. The system will count down the vehicles oil life based on these conditions to determine when an engine oil change and maintenance is necessary.

Although the synthetic oil manufacturer do state you can extend the change intervals, to be sure you need to check with the actual engine manufacturer and see what they recommend.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,464 Posts
I think the MM in your vintage V is 'calibrated' for regular Dino oil. It certainly was, with our 2007 Fit.

On the Fit, we used synthetic oil, so we reset the 'WRENCH' and observed OCIs of 1.5 the indication of it. (We looked under the valve cover periodically as well, and everything was fine over the 155K miles/12 years we had that car.)

·
Registered
113 Posts
The MM does not know what brand, weight, or type of oil that is in the crankcase. The onboard computer system in your vehicle continuously monitors the engine operating conditions such as speed, engine and ambient temperature, time and the vehicle use. The system will count down the vehicles oil life based on these conditions to determine when an engine oil change and maintenance is necessary.

Although the synthetic oil manufacturer do state you can extend the change intervals, to be sure you need to check with the actual engine manufacturer and see what they recommend.
Agreed, I have seen in the past month that hotter exterior temps combined with extended idling has greatly reduced the amount of mileage the system affords between oil changes. I use full synthetic and change mine between 10-20% typically.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
It's a gen3 CRV.. so the MM is not as smart and all inclusive on what parameters it monitors compared to the newer gen5s. I believe gen3 CRV MMs only look a few key parameters in engine operation and mileage as it's countdown triggers. I know for sure it does not keep track of calendar time and I doubt it keeps track of run time of the engine either. I literally always had to monitor calendar time and inspect the oil on the dipstick because as a low mileage driver of my gen3.. I could literally go two years and the MM would likely not pop a notice. My CRV would typically show 50-56% remaining oil life when I changed the oil out after one year. Gen5 MM is smart.. really smart.. and it tells me to change my oil right around 10-12 months (average 2500-3000 miles) which is consistent with Honda recommendations... and relieves me of the need to baby sit my oil life.

Generally speaking, assume a Honda MM will be programmed on the assumptions of the oil specified/recommended in the owners manual. Which means gen3 CRV MMs will be working on the assumption of non-synthetic oil life cycles. So it will report a need to change oil sooner than required if using a good synthetic brand.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV EXL
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a gen3 CRV.. so the MM is not as smart and all inclusive on what parameters it monitors compared to the newer gen5s. I believe gen3 CRV MMs only look a few key parameters in engine operation and mileage as it's countdown triggers. I know for sure it does not keep track of calendar time and I doubt it keeps track of run time of the engine either. I literally always had to monitor calendar time and inspect the oil on the dipstick because as a low mileage driver of my gen3.. I could literally go two years and the MM would likely not pop a notice. My CRV would typically show 50-56% remaining oil life when I changed the oil out after one year. Gen5 MM is smart.. really smart.. and it tells me to change my oil right around 10-12 months (average 2500-3000 miles) which is consistent with Honda recommendations... and relieves me of the need to baby sit my oil life.

Generally speaking, assume a Honda MM will be programmed on the assumptions of the oil specified/recommended in the owners manual. Which means gen3 CRV MMs will be working on the assumption of non-synthetic oil life cycles. So it will report a need to change oil sooner than required if using a good synthetic brand.
I've read that 3,000 miles is way too soon to change your oil. The only places that recommend that are oil change shops. I think even most bew car
recommendations are for 6,000 miles I've had 4 Toyotas and used mobile1 and waited 8-10 k to change oil and all went over 200k miles with no problems

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I've read that 3,000 miles is way too soon to change your oil. The only places that recommend that are oil change shops. I think even most bew car
recommendations are for 6,000 miles I've had 4 Toyotas and used mobile1 and waited 8-10 k to change oil and all went over 200k miles with no problems
It is not just miles that is important. Old oil (ie: more than a year old, Honda says replace it).

The modern MM in the gen5s actually tracks a range of different parameters in the engine and calculates based on the parameters recorded over time.. as well as calendar time. Literally takes the guess work out of when to change the oil, given so many different driving conditions across the population of CRV owners.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It is not just miles that is important. Old oil (ie: more than a year old, Honda says replace it).

The modern MM in the gen5s actually tracks a range of different parameters in the engine and calculates based on the parameters recorded over time.. as well as calendar time. Literally takes the guess work out of when to change the oil, given so many different driving conditions across the population of CRV owners.
True, once a oil is introduced to water, gasoline, carbon and other contaminants the additive package behinds to slowly break down. Regardless of mileage the oil should be changes once a year due to this depletion

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV EXL
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
True, once a oil is introduced to water, gasoline, carbon and other contaminants the additive package behinds to slowly break down. Regardless of mileage the oil should be changes once a year due to this depletion
The thing is always go over 10,000 miles before a year is over lol

·
Registered
132 Posts
The MM isn't as sophisticated as you might think. While it does detect mileage, time, and temperature, it doesn't have extensive sensors to evaluate the condition of oils. I typically go by the dealer interval for the maintenance since the MM doesn't account for normal vs severe driving conditions -- as outlined in the owner's manual. Don't get me wrong, the MM is a great calculator, but it's exactly that... a calculator.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts