Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and thanks in advance for any input received,

My CRV is overdue for service, currently with 52K on the odometer. The “alert” on the dash says I need a “B 1 3” service. I’ve been taking it to the dealer since new, except for the oil change I got last fall, where I took it to my own local mechanic, in hopes of saving a buck. The mechanic pointed out an oil leak to me (see photos) and said I should have the dealer take a look and see if it’s a warrantee issue. I had found a thread on here a short while ago regarding oil leaks but I can’t seem to find it now. The line that stuck out to me in that thread had to do with dealers trying to fix an oil leak and making matters worse than they are and that maybe the leak was due to a one time overfilling of oil during an oil change (if someone can reference that thread for me I’d appreciate it). I had planned on taking the car back to the same local mechanic for the next service but in light of the oil change I was considering taking it back to the dealer so that they can also check the leak. Appreciate any input regarding the leak and what I should be aware of when pointing this out to the dealer.

I also have another question regarding the Honda service updates. If it weren’t for wanting to have the leak checked out I’d be taking my car back to the local mechanic for servicing. If that were the case would it be customary for me to tell the mechanic that I need “x, y , z, etc. done to the car” and reference the laundry list of things that Honda prescribed under code B 1 3? Or would I just say, give me an oil change and whatever else you feel needs to be done at 52K miles for this car or?

Thanks!

IMG_2419.JPG
IMG_2420.JPG

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
711 Posts
I've got that going on to a lesser extent on my 2019 and so do others here. I'm watching it. If it looks worse during the next oil change, I will take it to Honda. I'd like to have their opinion in writing in case it becomes a bigger problem down the road. You may want to do the same.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Those issues are unacceptable IMO. Nothing should be leaking on 2019 or at 52k. That should go to dealer ASAP. As far as 52k I wonder if the 5/60 powertrain warranty will cover it.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,614 Posts
Hard to tell from the photo.. but it does not look like an active leak. It looks like a little residual of some sort that is now largely dried up and saturated with dirt. Do you ever see anything dripping onto where you park?

I seem to recall seeing photos from some other owners of the exactly same location of some old dripage, and it was believed to be left over from factory assembly.. and something simply seeping a bit until the source sealed and dried out... leaving just some old residue which of course collects dirt particles over time. I think their dealer also confirmed this.

In other words.. what you see.. might have always been there from when they mated the power train parts together in assembly. But to be sure.. you would need the dealer to inspect and advise.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
4,273 Posts
the Oil that gets added in is way to the right on top, this topic and other members talked about, research. . I am sure the Machanic did not clean it. and you are going to have to again ask them to take the cover off to reclean. so seeing drops on the floor would be to see drops on the Sheild.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"Hard to tell from the photo.. but it does not look like an active leak. It looks like a little residual of some sort that is now largely dried up and saturated with dirt. Do you ever see anything dripping onto where you park?"

No oil stains on my driveway yet....although, there is that metal cover underneath, so for their to be oil stains on my driveway, the oil leak would need to be substantial and constant tnought to "fill" that cover and spill over.

"I am sure the Machanic did not clean it. and you are going to have to again ask them to take the cover off to reclean. so seeing drops on the floor would be to see drops on the Sheild. "

Yeah, after my mechanic showed me these photos he said he didn't clean it for the reason that I should show it to the dealer.

Getting the car serviced this coming week, will keep ya'll posted.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so got the B 1 3 service done yesterday and dealer said they didn't find any problems, that there was no active leak. So they just cleaned off the oil stain from the leak before and said I could bring it back again after a few hundred more miles to let them check again. Other than that, the service cost a FORTUNE.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ok, so got the B 1 3 service done yesterday and dealer said they didn't find any problems, that there was no active leak. So they just cleaned off the oil stain from the leak before and said I could bring it back again after a few hundred more miles to let them check again. Other than that, the service cost a FORTUNE.
What was done at B1 3 and why did it cost so much?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Wow; how much is a "FORTUNE"? How much labor did they charge you for the CVT fluid change? If the engine is warm, it can be done simultaneously with an oil change, and takes no more effort; 15 minutes of labor is adequate. The fluid itself should have been about $30.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, it "felt" expensive to me...per the manual, here's whats in a B 1 3, so basically all the items under "B" on the left side and then items "1" and "3" on the right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts