Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Read Only
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any predictions on the oil change intervals on the hybrid since the motor doesn't run all the time? The dealership I purchased from will do oil changes for 6 year / 80,000 miles. I worked for a Ford dealership, many years ago, and it was a kid in high school doing the oil changes. I've always done my own car maintenance, not sure I trust someone else to get the proper weight oil in my CRV. What are y'alls experiences with this?

·
2,811 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I highly recommend a thorough reading of your owner's manual on the maintenance stuff. Heck, even at my age I still have to go back to basics at times. Like my Dad used to say - when all else fails, read the instructions. He was so annoying!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Anyone have any predictions on the oil change intervals on the hybrid since the motor doesn't run all the time? The dealership I purchased from will do oil changes for 6 year / 80,000 miles. I worked for a Ford dealership, many years ago, and it was a kid in high school doing the oil changes. I've always done my own car maintenance, not sure I trust someone else to get the proper weight oil in my CRV. What are y'alls experiences with this?
The Maintenance Minder in my Accord Hybrid, with the same system, told me to change the oil around 11K miles. The CR-V may be different since it runs more often.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,451 Posts
The Maintenance Minder in my Accord Hybrid, with the same system, told me to change the oil around 11K miles.
Just as a data point, was that 11K within a year, or was it more than a year?

(Or put another way, will the MM tell CR-V Hybrid owners to change oil yearly, as the 1.5T does, or does it allow longer intervals?)

·
Read Only
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm old school, and I can't wrap my head around going over 3-5K on an oil change. Seeing as how everyone will be different hwy vs city driving, just curious how the computer will interpret oil degradation. Hwy seeing higher rpms and city driving just spinning the generator. I've also heard you don't want to do the first oil change to quick because they add zinc for the break in. Anyone else heard that?

·
Registered
706 Posts
I'm old school, and I can't wrap my head around going over 3-5K on an oil change. Seeing as how everyone will be different hwy vs city driving, just curious how the computer will interpret oil degradation. Hwy seeing higher rpms and city driving just spinning the generator. I've also heard you don't want to do the first oil change to quick because they add zinc for the break in. Anyone else heard that?
You might want to change the original oil earlier than normal, let's say 8000 miles, unless your MM has requested it before.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just as a data point, was that 11K within a year, or was it more than a year?

(Or put another way, will the MM tell CR-V Hybrid owners to change oil yearly, as the 1.5T does, or does it allow longer intervals?)
It was 11 months.

The MM looks at several factors, including time, mileage, length of trips, temperatures, and probably many more that I can't remember. It uses them is a proprietary formula, so you can't say what intervals or mileage it will allow.

The 1.5T does the same.

Look at the Accord tread here for more information on both.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Pretty sure that all Honda's come with variable servicing reminders.

Thats always been the case here in the UK unless its disabled - after which, variable service mode is inoperable and then a car would have to have oil changes ever 12K miles or every year, whichever is sooner.

In any case, the Hybrid's are so new in the US, the last thing I'd get hung up about is oil needs. The car will let you know when it needs addressing.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,451 Posts
So, the 'jury' is still out on whether the Hybrid ICE engine still requires a yearly oil change interval. I'm just curious, that's all. :giggle:

Or, did they alter the TIME algorithm/notification due to the reduced engine running time/mileage and conditions when used in a Hybrid?

Obviously, it is too soon to tell anecdotally in the USA, since our Hybrids just came on the market. I still can't tell if @JeffJo 's hybrid Accord MM came up as a result of TIME or MILEAGE.

(Our European sports car's MM starts its service reminder about 11 months after the last reset regardless of mileage, and gives us a ~month of nagging before the 12 month interval is up.)

·
Registered
115 Posts
UK Hybrid MM started nagging me just short of 11 months operation. Mileage is only 8.5k with reduced usage in the last 6 weeks so I suspect MM activated on time rather than distance travelled.

Due to the pretty moderate operating conditions in the UK (never too hot or cold) I'm an advocate of the 12k or 12 months service interval regime. I'll be happy to follow the MM if it doesn't deviate too far from these set parameters.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Folks, there's a simple solution:
Spend $28 and get an oil analysis kit from Blackstone Labs here:

I did this on my previous 1.5T 2017 Civic Touring @ 5,000 miles to determine the oil dilution, which was OK, but on the high side.

I had a BMW a few years back. With a good synthetic oil like AMSOIL, if you change the oil and filter @ 5,000 miles you'll be fine. Let Blackstone confirm that for you. Also, I purchased a rare earth magnetic oil plug to catch any metal shavings from normal wear from Dimple Plug Magnets here: Dimple Magnetic Drain Plugs – All magnets are not created equal

Then you're good to go!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Folks, there's a simple solution:
Spend $28 and get an oil analysis kit from Blackstone Labs here:
There's a simpler solution and it won't cost you any more than the standard price of an annual service; get the car serviced and oil change as per manufacturers specs whether that be the MM or specified time/mileage service intervals.

Surely talk of additional oil testing or increased oil changes is an unnecessary pre-emptive strike against an engine which I believe has no known problems including oil dilution.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Well, oil changes at 5K miles instead of 10K will prolong the engine life, if you plan on keeping it in excess of 100K miles
Sorry, but any car that needs an oil change at 5K is one that I wouldnt be buying.

Like I said, the Hybrid is so new in the US, its been here in the UK for over a year with no oil issues. I dont understand this paranoia, I really dont.

The car will tell you when it needs an oil change. What then, is the issue??

·
Registered
106 Posts
So, the 'jury' is still out on whether the Hybrid ICE engine still requires a yearly oil change interval. I'm just curious, that's all. :giggle:

Or, did they alter the TIME algorithm/notification due to the reduced engine running time/mileage and conditions when used in a Hybrid?

Obviously, it is too soon to tell anecdotally in the USA, since our Hybrids just came on the market. I still can't tell if @JeffJo 's hybrid Accord MM came up as a result of TIME or MILEAGE.

(Our European sports car's MM starts its service reminder about 11 months after the last reset regardless of mileage, and gives us a ~month of nagging before the 12 month interval is up.)
I would imagine that Honda still uses the idea that you replace the engine oil and filter when the MM tells you to, OR once a year, whichever comes first. I have a 2012 Fit that has barely 27,000 miles on it and I've changed the oil with 80% oil life remaining because it was already a year since the last change. The oil may look new, but I'm not taking any chances as the full synthetic oil is a lot cheaper than an engine job. To me, if the oil has been run in the engine and it's been a year since the last change, do it again, no matter how low the mileage traveled has been.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You must have money to burn. 12.5k or 12 months as recommended by Honda. Done that for the past 22years with 5 CRV's. Now the same with my Hybrid

·
Read Only
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
You must have money to burn. 12.5k or 12 months as recommended by Honda. Done that for the past 22years with 5 CRV's. Now the same with my Hybrid
Yes, money to burn. Remind me again how much is a new engine? I also have an older mustang that gets an oil change every 1000 miles. How many quarts does a 2.0L engine require? Looking at these comments it seems to me that Honda MM only requires an oil change every 12 months. I'm not sure I want to trust a computer with idle time, time at 1000rpm vs 5000rpm. My original post I asked for an opinion or predictions on the oil change intervals, seems like a simple question has ruffled some feather. I tell y'all what, I'll do me you do you. I've been building engines since I was 16, I know what heat, pressure and tight tolerances do to oil. I have over $16,000 into the motor in my mustang. So do I have money to burn, maybe but only on the things I want to spend money on.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts