Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Read Only
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Says the person who joined less than a week ago?

And if this is the confidence you have in the CR-V Hybrid, its perhaps better you not buy one and run the risk of the service indicator tellling you something that you dont agree with??

Jeez....
Do you even own one? Mine is in the driveway. I see that you post on everything. Are you one of those who has to get a word in on everything? This will be our last correspondence since there is a nice little feature that lets me ignore you. The Dark Knight has deleted his comment.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid Touring | Modern Steel Metallic | Black Leather
31 Posts
I’m with the discussion starter.... I am old school (and I’m only 27 y/o), I do my own oil changes every 5,000 miles. My previous 2019 Honda Insight Touring had a 1.5 hybrid system and I changed it every 5,000 miles as well. I can buy 5 quarts of Mobil1 full synthetic oil plus a mobile one filter at advanced auto parts for around $35-$36 and have it changed in my garage in under an hour. Sounds like a pretty cheap insurance policy to me!

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
So, the 'jury' is still out on whether the Hybrid ICE engine still requires a yearly oil change interval. I'm just curious, that's all. :giggle:

Or, did they alter the TIME algorithm/notification due to the reduced engine running time/mileage and conditions when used in a Hybrid?

Obviously, it is too soon to tell anecdotally in the USA, since our Hybrids just came on the market. I still can't tell if @JeffJo 's hybrid Accord MM came up as a result of TIME or MILEAGE.

(Our European sports car's MM starts its service reminder about 11 months after the last reset regardless of mileage, and gives us a ~month of nagging before the 12 month interval is up.)
I would bet money that the time based requirement for oil change will still be one year on the Hybrid. :)

Of course any level of driving may well advance the the % countdown faster than just calendar time. Since the hybrid engine does run a lot on the Honda Hybrids... to feed the drive motors, and with very small battery capacity.. I would be surprised if the MM for oil service varies much from what we all are used to in gen5 GDI engines.

But to the original poster here... trust your MM.... they are quite intelligent and are programmed to properly manage oil life in your vehicle. The model is too new yet to know what the average is in terms of miles.. and since miles is no longer the prime factor in the MM... even that is highly variable depending on driving type, style, conditions.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Yes, money to burn. Remind me again how much is a new engine? I also have an older mustang that gets an oil change every 1000 miles. How many quarts does a 2.0L engine require? Looking at these comments it seems to me that Honda MM only requires an oil change every 12 months. I'm not sure I want to trust a computer with idle time, time at 1000rpm vs 5000rpm. My original post I asked for an opinion or predictions on the oil change intervals, seems like a simple question has ruffled some feather. I tell y'all what, I'll do me you do you. I've been building engines since I was 16, I know what heat, pressure and tight tolerances do to oil. I have over $16,000 into the motor in my mustang. So do I have money to burn, maybe but only on the things I want to spend money on.
Suggestion: actually read up on your MM for your vehicle and what it calculates and monitors, rather than talking smack and comparing old vehicles as your benchmark for current generation motor vehicles. The MM exists for a reason. ;)

Note: your owners manual will even specify the most commonly expected miles per MM oil change event as a basic guideline AND answer to your original question.

You are of course free to change your oil as often as you like. But getting aggressive with other forum members simply because they disagree with your personal view on oil changes in general..... serves no purpose other than getting you dismissed and placed on ignore by some other forum members.

ALL motor vehicle manufacturers have progressively improved their engine designs many times over compared to your older mustang. There are many reasons for this, but conservation of natural resources IS one that they all stay focused on. There is not an infinite capacity to store and reprocess used oil on this planet.. and every quart saved in an average engine design over a period of a year adds up when applied across millions of vehicles.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts