Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually get my oil changed in my 2010 CR-V EX-L at a trusted local mechanic that specializes in Honda. They couldn't do it on my day off so I went to the dealer. At the dealer they also informed me of an passenger side airbag recall which I had fixed as well. This dealer did the driver's side last year.

Today during my driving the CEL went on. This was after I had been driving for a good deal of time. Probably sixty miles since the oil change. Car seems to run fine and made no signs of anything wrong. I checked the oil and it was not low. It may have been a bit high, but tough to tell because the engine was still hot.

I have a cheap OBDII bluetooth scanner that has worked in my 2004 Ford Ranger and 2006 Toyota Corolla but didn't want to fit securely into the Honda. I was able to get it to sit in there, but not snugly and pulled a code of P0420 Bank one and now I am freaking out because I am afraid it needs major work, like Cats or O2 sensors.

So my questions are can overfilling the oil cause a cat failure this quick or is it more likely coincidence? Could they have spilled oil on the o2 sensor causing the problem code?

Side question, is the OBD2 port on the Honda different than other cars because my reader does not fit well. Are the pin holes smaller on Honda's? I wonder if that would cause a problem with reading the code? I was also unable to clear the code to see if it comes back. I always could with other cars. Could it be because it is not making a good connection?

Suggestions/Ideas?

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Having an oil change has 0 to do with your issue. Have to WAY overfill it and it would smoke like crazy.

As for your code. Clear it by disconnecting the battery and letting sit for about 30 minutes if your adapter will not work. Otherwise you can go to your local autozone and have them do it I believe (not sure if their readers work)

Honda OBDII is the same as everyone else. Its a standardized system across all modern vehicles. The issue is your cheap adapter.

I spent $25 for mine (dont remember brand but had tons of good reviews), paid for Torque Pro app and always works perfectly. Not all apps are created equal. Torque Pro is the only one thats decent enough.

Onto the code. Hondas are very picky sometimes. My wife odyssey throws that code anytime I switch fuel types (no ethanol or premium fuel for towing) and goes out on its own after a few short drives.

Its NOT major work, O2 sensor is easy to change and less than $100. Converter pipe may be more work and more money, but less likely the problem.

FYI you dont have to go somewhere special to change the oil because its a honda. Its literally the EXACT SAME as the other 10 million cars on road. A drain plug in the bottom of the oil pan, oil filter on the back of the motor, oil cap and dipstick on top. Oil changes are the one thing thats almost impossible to screw up unless you take it to walmart.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for you reply. I am really hoping it is not the catalytic converter and just an o2 sensor or just a fluke. The p0420 code I did manage to pull with my scanner made me nervous. What do you mean Converter pipe? The actual cat converter? I am not sure I can even diagnose what the real problem is let alone fix it myself, so I will probably take it to my Honda guy. I will have to fess up that I went to the dealer though, haha.

I don't usually go to the dealer. I have a trusted Honda shop, but I couldn't get it in there on my day off. I am just always worried about dealerships and have trust issues with them and when this happens the day after they serviced the car I get suspicious.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
The converter isnt by itself, its part of an entire section of pipe for the exhaust.

Chances of it being bad are VERY slim.

Now I HAVE seen shops actually unplug the back O2 (one of 100s of bull**** things Ive seen dealerships/shops do to make money) to trip the code. Then when you come back they try to sell you a converter.

Just unhook your battery (probably a 10mm socket or wrench like every other Honda I own or have seen) and let it sit for at least 30 minutes. This clears ALL memory in the system.

Hook the battery back up and go drive. If light stays out, problem solved. If not then take it in. Your guy wont be mad over an oil change, most places dont care about that really. They dont make any money off it, its other work when needed that makes money. They do oil changes as a courtesy to their customers to make sure every need their car has they take care of. But never known any shop to have any issues with someone else (or doing yourself) changing the oil.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts