Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok Guys ,new to Honda turbo and have a question about an oil change. First change with a filter is planned. 2019 CRV-EX 4 cyl turbo. I have heard some talk about a "special" procedure with the oil change when it comes to a turbo. Aside from not revving it after the first start is there any thing I should know before any damage is done.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Never heard of anything in terms of "nurturing" the turbo other then to not do heavy acceleration with a cold engine as that can stress the turbo unnecessarily.

I guess an oil change could "dry" out the turbo.. but I figure so does an engine sitting overnight.. but I may be wrong on that.

The 0W20 oil is so thin, even at room temperature that it will quickly circulate after an oil change.. probably in just seconds.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,919 Posts
I've owned turbocharged engines for 25 years, never did anything 'special' regards the turbo.

@williamsji mentioned the thin oil, if you are used to thicker oil, the thin stuff really pours out with vigor!!! Adjust your catch-pan position, 'cause that oil is going to pour out FAST! 🤪

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I've owned turbocharged engines for 25 years, never did anything 'special' regards the turbo.

@williamsji mentioned the thin oil, if you are used to thicker oil, the thin stuff really pours out with vigor!!! Adjust your catch-pan position, 'cause that oil is going to pour out FAST! 🤪
I'm use to the thinner 0/20 oil from past Acuras. They went over to it in the past 4 or so years from 5/20. I am considering the 5/20 in this CRV too being I have 8 cases of it and from what I read the "O" is basically for emissions and easy cranking but this engine hardly cranks and it's running also it's always garaged too.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
The first number represents only the cold temperature characteristics, the lower the number the better it flows at low temperature. Synthetics have allowed the 0W20 grade over the 5W20s which are conventional or semi synthetics. If you have a case of 5W20 then use it up first.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The first number represents only the cold temperature characteristics, the lower the number the better it flows at low temperature. Synthetics have allowed the 0W20 grade over the 5W20s which are conventional or semi synthetics. If you have a case of 5W20 then use it up first.
That's what I 'm going to do. I have 8 cases of 5w20 Mobil 1 synthetic. I'll probably sell the CRV before I use half of it. LOL Never been impressed with a "0w" rating anyway. In my past Acuras, they ran noticeably quieter with the 5w20 oil instead of the recommended 0w20.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
That's what I 'm going to do. I have 8 cases of 5w20 Mobil 1 synthetic. I'll probably sell the CRV before I use half of it. LOL Never been impressed with a "0w" rating anyway. In my past Acuras, they ran noticeably quieter with the 5w20 oil instead of the recommended 0w20.
Here's an motor oil article explaining the first number and second number.

·
Registered
463 Posts
BillsCRV-EX said:
Ok Guys ,new to Honda turbo and have a question about an oil change.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok Guys ,new to Honda turbo and have a question about an oil change. First change with a filter is planned. 2019 CRV-EX 4 cyl turbo. I have heard some talk about a "special" procedure with the oil change when it comes to a turbo. Aside from not revving it after the first start is there any thing I should know before any damage is done.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Nothing special required. Be sure to use a good quality 0w20 & don't cheap out on the filter. That little 1.5 is very high tech and well built but a turbo can put a lot of stress on an engine. Which is a good reason to drive conservatively until the engine warms up. And regular oil & filter changes are a good choice. I do mine every 5000 miles or 6 months which ever is first. Don't use other than 0w20 as that's what Honda requires. 0w20 is no thicker than 5w20 when warned up. but it is thinner when cold. Hence good flow on cold starts. Enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nothing special required. Be sure to use a good quality 0w20 & don't cheap out on the filter. That little 1.5 is very high tech and well built but a turbo can put a lot of stress on an engine. Which is a good reason to drive conservatively until the engine warms up. And regular oil & filter changes are a good choice. I do mine every 5000 miles or 6 months which ever is first. Don't use other than 0w20 as that's what Honda requires. 0w20 is no thicker than 5w20 when warned up. but it is thinner when cold. Hence good flow on cold starts. Enjoy your ride.
Thanks for the info. The car is always garaged so I don't think the 0w20 or the use of 5w20 will be a problem being I have a supply of it on hand. In the past Acuras, I have used the 5w20 and the engine ran a bit quieter in regards to valve train mostly.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
They are both 20 at operating temp.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
The notion that 0w20 is the only oil for the 1.5l turbo shows how effective EPA has been to get owners to only use low viscosity oils to improve MPG and reduce CO2 emissions. If you look in the owner's manual ( available online) for the 2019 1.5l turbo CRV in Japan you may be shocked. The recommended range of approved oils are 0w20, 0w30, 5w,30 and even 10w30. EPA has what is called "Off Cycle Credits" for auto manufactures to reduce CO2 emissions. If a manufacturer uses a low viscosity oil in their engine fill and only show that oil in the owners manual they can claim that credit. Other Off Cycle credits which can be claimed for other technologies slapped on a vehicle are things like active grill shutters, CVT transmissions, Direct Injection, LED lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The notion that 0w20 is the only oil for the 1.5l turbo shows how effective EPA has been to get owners to only use low viscosity oils to improve MPG and reduce CO2 emissions. If you look in the owner's manual ( available online) for the 2019 1.5l turbo CRV in Japan you may be shocked. The recommended range of approved oils are 0w20, 0w30, 5w,30 and even 10w30. EPA has what is called "Off Cycle Credits" for auto manufactures to reduce CO2 emissions. If a manufacturer uses a low viscosity oil in their engine fill and only show that oil in the owners manual they can claim that credit. Other Off Cycle credits which can be claimed for other technologies slapped on a vehicle are things like active grill shutters, CVT transmissions, Direct Injection, LED lights.
That's very interesting information Traylaw. Thanks for posting that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm use to the thinner 0/20 oil from past Acuras. They went over to it in the past 4 or so years from 5/20. I am considering the 5/20 in this CRV too being I have 8 cases of it and from what I read the "O" is basically for emissions and easy cranking but this engine hardly cranks and it's running also it's always garaged too.
This might sound stupid but I would throw away the 5/20, you really need to stick to the 0/20 as recommended.
For the little savings by using what you have is not worth the possible damage you could do to your new car.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Speaks well to the tolerance of the engine design to variables in lubricants, fuels, etc..... regardless what the EPA may want us to believe about "the correct oil" here in the US. :)

Add in all the modifications Civic enthusiasts do to this engine to boost horsepower and torque .. and you can clearly see a very tolerant and robust design.. which is generally rolled off the factory floors with a very conservative tune setup.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Throw away perfectly good 5W20?........really?

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
3 guesses and the first two don’t count............in your motor?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts