Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

Registered
Bingo....give that man a cigar!馃槄
I partially agree with the idea of throwing the 5W20 oil away as I would NEVER use anything but 0W20 oil in this engine, as Honda specifies. I WOULD sell it, or better still, give it to a friend who owns a car that uses 5W20 oil. Giving the oil to someone who needs it would be a gift that keeps on giving and giving and giving. PRICELESS!

Registered
Have you not looked at the links/attachments in post #7 (Motor Oil Basics) and post #13 (Honda manual)?

Registered
The notion that 0w20 is the only oil for the 1.5l turbo shows how effective EPA has been to get owners to only use low viscosity oils to improve MPG and reduce CO2 emissions. If you look in the owner's manual ( available online) for the 2019 1.5l turbo CRV in Japan you may be shocked. The recommended range of approved oils are 0w20, 0w30, 5w,30 and even 10w30. EPA has what is called "Off Cycle Credits" for auto manufactures to reduce CO2 emissions. If a manufacturer uses a low viscosity oil in their engine fill and only show that oil in the owners manual they can claim that credit. Other Off Cycle credits which can be claimed for other technologies slapped on a vehicle are things like active grill shutters, CVT transmissions, Direct Injection, LED lights.
That's a very interesting chart but it's also Japan where the average low temp in the winter months is 40 deg F. Still yet why would you not want the best flowing oil for cold starts. To quote Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock "It's only logical".

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
That's a very interesting chart but it's also Japan where the average low temp in the winter months is 40 deg F. Still yet why would you not want the best flowing oil for cold starts. To quote Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock "It's only logical".
To be honest, this car is garaged in a heated garage and is very rarely left outside long enough for the motor to cool completely. This is the main reason where the 0w oil would not be that much of an advantage over the 5w20 Mobil 1 synthetic. Thanks for your reply.

Registered
I found this on the web. It's interesting reading about the new 0W16 oil.

Registered
To be honest, this car is garaged in a heated garage and is very rarely left outside long enough for the motor to cool completely. This is the main reason where the 0w oil would not be that much of an advantage over the 5w20 Mobil 1 synthetic. Thanks for your reply
Realizing maybe this is splitting hairs on using 5w20 vs 0w20, Honda specs say 0w20 only there are more reasons than mileage and EPA requirements. The internal design and an engine with a turbo are reasons enough to use the correct oil. I would not go out of specs and second guess the Honda engineers on this just to save a few bucks.

Registered
One the reasons I am glad that the Japan region generally acts as the early adopter for things like this where motor vehicles are concerned. With more then 15 years of using 0w16 oil in Japan... I'm going to go with an understanding that they have worked out all the possible kinks and reliability issues both for the oils as well as for the engines that use them. :)

Next up..... 0w12 oil..... :eek:

Me... I am generally not an early adopter.. and will shun new technology in most cases until it is well proven in the markets. Particularly where electronics is concerned.. because having been on the design side of electronics as my profession.. I know how bad things can be behind the scenes.

Registered
One the reasons I am glad that the Japan region generally acts as the early adopter for things like this where motor vehicles are concerned. With more then 15 years of using 0w16 oil in Japan... I'm going to go with an understanding that they have worked out all the possible kinks and reliability issues both for the oils as well as for the engines that use them. :)

Next up..... 0w12 oil..... :eek:

Me... I am generally not an early adopter.. and will shun new technology in most cases until it is well proven in the markets. Particularly where electronics is concerned.. because having been on the design side of electronics as my profession.. I know how bad things can be behind the scenes.
Sadly I think next up will be 0w8. o_O I have no problem using whatever Honda recommends. Before we know it all we'll need to do is pour in 4 quarts of soap & water.:)

21 - 30 of 30 Posts