Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Where did you go to get your 1st oil change?

2. What type of oil did you use?

3. What was your mileage at your 1st oil change?

·
Registered
17 Posts
1. Dealer, got three free oil changes with purchase of new car.
2. They used Honda synthetic blend 0W-20
3. Approximately 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
1. Dealer, first of four free for two years.
2. Honda 0-20 synthetic blend.
3. 5,500 miles and six months old.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome Thank you! I think we are going to change the oil ourselves & use the mobile oil. We are taking a big trip - MD to North Carolina for about 3 weeks so wanted to change the oil before we left. Thanks!

·
Registered
159 Posts
At my trusted neighborhood mechanic. I provided the Mobil 1 0W20 synthetic and filter. He changed the oil and disposed of the old. We changed it when the maintenance minder said to....somewhere around 6K as best I can remember w/o digging out the paperwork. It's about time for change #2. MM says 15% oil life left. I plan to do it the same way. Well worth the $25 labor he charged for labor to change oil and rotate and balance the tires.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I went in to Honda Dealer to have first oil change done because I was right at 5,000, and I'm one of those "severe use" drivers! The Service Advisor went right to the Maintenance Minder, which said "50%". Advisor said to "let it ride" to 15% (which could vary on my vehicle from others depending on usage). Interesting! Advisor seems to give MM a lot more credit than I do. I had a 2005 Odyssey with MM before, and (different) Advisor always told me 5,000 miles & ignore MM. Advisor also said that CRV factory-installed synthetic oil has extra lubricants that should remain in until the 15% is reached. So, I'll try waiting to 15%...although seems weird!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I went in to Honda Dealer to have first oil change done because I was right at 5,000, and I'm one of those "severe use" drivers! The Service Advisor went right to the Maintenance Minder, which said "50%". Advisor said to "let it ride" to 15% (which could vary on my vehicle from others depending on usage). Interesting! Advisor seems to give MM a lot more credit than I do. I had a 2005 Odyssey with MM before, and (different) Advisor always told me 5,000 miles & ignore MM. Advisor also said that CRV factory-installed synthetic oil has extra lubricants that should remain in until the 15% is reached. So, I'll try waiting to 15%...although seems weird!
if you want just change it early, or insist that they change it

·
Everything in Moderation
7,918 Posts
if you want just change it early, or insist that they change it
But, you can trust the MM, IMO.

On our Fit, the % seems to drop rapidly as it approaches 15% BTW. Don't know if the newer models still do this.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Honda is the only automaker that sort-of insists the factory fill stay in until the first normal oil change, not that it says so in the Owner's Manual. Others say nothing or recommend an early change. This is a bit odd as the "extra lubricants" are basically assembly lubes that are used throughout the industry (and not to split hairs, but the oil in Hondas leaving the factory is semi-synthetic, not full synthetic).

I'm sure Honda has reasons for its recommendation but, as some of them may be just to demonstrate how "green" the company is, I'm planning to split the difference and do my first change at about 5,000 miles, which should be around 50% oil life left per the OLM.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Honda is the only automaker that sort-of insists the factory fill stay in until the first normal oil change, not that it says so in the Owner's Manual. Others say nothing or recommend an early change. This is a bit odd as the "extra lubricants" are basically assembly lubes that are used throughout the industry (and not to split hairs, but the oil in Hondas leaving the factory is semi-synthetic, not full synthetic).

I'm sure Honda has reasons for its recommendation but, as some of them may be just to demonstrate how "green" the company is, I'm planning to split the difference and do my first change at about 5,000 miles, which should be around 50% oil life left per the OLM.
I agree and did the same (5,000 miles). No problem or question from my dealer, just did the job, washed the car, and sent me on my happy way. It's a personal choice. On a previous Accord, an '09, I personally changed the oil at home right after the buying it. There were no ill effects for the six years I owned it, never used oil and ran great. Cheers!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I wait for the MM which always comes on at approx 8,000 KL (5,000 miles???) and only use Synthetic Oil.

Personal choice, I don't mind spending the extra coin on Synthetic, but always buy it when it's on sale.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I used to be like you guys, changing it early and often, but this time I'm going with what the MM says. Changed our CR-V's first fill at 15% since it saw a lot of freeway driving in the first week we had it. I'll change it at the 10% level from now on though since we're using Mobil 1.
I'm pretty sure we're getting better gas mileage since the engine has been broken in with the initial fill in there for so long. 50% oil life left is just tossing out good oil IMO, but, to each his own.
Enjoy your ride!

·
Registered
229 Posts

You're probably right and there's no valid reason for following Honda's recommendation, it's really just a trick to try to look more environmentally responsible. You sure showed them!

·
Registered
788 Posts
You're probably right and there's no valid reason for following Honda's recommendation, it's really just a trick to try to look more environmentally responsible. You sure showed them!
Well goodness. This forum could sure use a little more snarkiness. Thanks for introducing some and throwing in sarcasm for good measure.

The point is that there has always been spirited debate about whether an early change of the factory fill is beneficial. So I'm following Honda's advice more or less (the MM would be at 15% after 5,000 miles under some driving conditions). And, if you read the whole thread, it seems lots of others are doing the same.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Well goodness. This forum could sure use a little more snarkiness. Thanks for introducing some and throwing in sarcasm for good measure.

The point is that there has always been spirited debate about whether an early change of the factory fill is beneficial. So I'm following Honda's advice more or less (the MM would be at 15% after 5,000 miles under some driving conditions). And, if you read the whole thread, it seems lots of others are doing the same.
You can rationalize it however you'd like, it's your car. Mine has been pretty close to 7,500 miles at every change including the first, when it gets down to 15% and the wrench comes on. I change my own with Mobil-1 and a NAPA platinum filter. I guess I could see doing it early if it was at 20% or so and I was about to head out on a long road trip or something, but really with the Mobil-1 I would have no issue going to -20% if I needed to.

·
Registered
84 Posts
How do you define severe use? Where is the term in the owner's manual? I cannot find it, at least in the 533 page manual I downloaded on June 29th. I think your current advisor is correct. Honda engines are notoriously easy on oil, not to mention that these these fluids have vastly improved in the last 10 years or so.

There are mentions of shorter intervals for the CVT if you're towing.
Kevin

1 - 20 of 24 Posts