Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

CRV has oil consumption issue which was not high enough for Honda to rebuild motor. Last oil change I used the BG oil cleaner and oil treatment, changed oil wth Mobil1 0w-20. After 3,300 miles one quart down. This is an improvement. Has anyone seen an improvement in oil consumption by running a heavier oil or a non synthetic oil ? Next change I think I will use the BG oil cleaner again and see if that helps furhter. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Hello,

CRV has oil consumption issue which was not high enough for Honda to rebuild motor. Last oil change I used the BG oil cleaner and oil treatment, changed oil wth Mobil1 0w-20. After 3,300 miles one quart down. This is an improvement. Has anyone seen an improvement in oil consumption by running a heavier oil or a non synthetic oil ? Next change I think I will use the BG oil cleaner again and see if that helps furhter. Thanks for any advice.
I would put in a quart of Marvel Mystery oil in the oil and the proper amount in the gas tank, drive it a few hundred miles and go back to 5W20 full synthetic oil. Yes I know the 10/11's call for 0W20 but, but, but,....

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am experiencing the same with my '07 recently, I plan to change the PCV valve, is that something that you have looked at maybe causing the increased oil consumption?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I am experiencing the same with my '07 recently, I plan to change the PCV valve, is that something that you have looked at maybe causing the increased oil consumption?
What oil have yo been using?

For a few changes I made the mistake of allowing the dealer use his bulk oil and around 70k miles it suddenly was down half a quart. I filled it with 5W20 Mobile1 full synthetic and a few thousand miles later did a full oil/filter change with 5W20 Mibile1 full synthetic and it has not been down since.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello,
The 2011's have a known problem with the piston rings. Don't remember if it is the combustion ring or oil ring, but the bad ring causes the oil consumption. sorry don't know about the 07.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

For a few changes I made the mistake of allowing the dealer use his bulk oil and around 70k miles it suddenly was down half a quart. I filled it with 5W20 Mobile1 full synthetic and a few thousand miles later did a full oil/filter change with 5W20 Mibile1 full synthetic and it has not been down since.
Hello,

Been using 0w20 Mobil1 full synthetic. Honda recommends 0w20. Wondering if a different oil weight or oil type would be better ?

·
Registered
48 Posts
As I understand it, full synthetic is preferable to non-synthetic. This is because it has a more highly refined base stock oil and with more and better additives. The higher refining of the oil is supposed to reduce viscosity breakdown.

I too have noticed oil use in older engines was lessened when using bottled oil instead of barrel oil. I have sometimes wondered if it was my imagination, but recently read in another forum that additives in oil can settle when businesses keep barrel oil too long. This one forum member said he worked at a dealership and the oil vendor had recommended the dealership not take more than a month's worth of oil at a time to reduce this effect. Disclaimer here, I am not an expert but have done a lot of reading on this subject.

·
Registered
19 Posts

I am using Valvoline HIgh Mileage 5w-20.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I notice down 1 qt. After 3,000 miles. Switching to 5-20w full synthetic. Use Amazon oil since only a few companies produce the oil and has needed properties. I change oil 4500-5000 miles with filter. 150,400 miles 2012 model.

·
Not-a-Mechanic
2011 CR-V 4WD EX
483 Posts
Me too. My solution-Overfill at oil change, a few ounces. Check and top off after 2000 or so miles. So it uses a quart or so every oil change, which for mine is roughly 7000 miles. Not desirable, but acceptable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts