Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oil Consumption Honda CRV-2011

22K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Carbuff2 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have a Honda CRV that had multpile issue recenelty at 78k miles.
1. Air bag recall - part on order should come in July
2. VTC Actuator just replaced this week after making horriable noise when starting. Lucky they only charged me $25 out of warranty.
3. Oil consumption, car continues to have oil light come on way before the 10% standard signal. I have gone to Honda for oil changes and it has not qualified for them to do the work to fix. Now my light goes on at 40%. I cannot get a magic number to get Honda to say when they will warrant the fix.
I feel that the extension they made is unacheivable before the extension expires due to milage.
Has anyone gotten the repair covered???
Is it light goes off after you have the oil changed and drive down the road and your out of oil????

#2 ·
Hello,

I have a Honda CRV that had multpile issue recenelty at 78k miles.
1. Air bag recall - part on order should come in July
2. VTC Actuator just replaced this week after making horriable noise when starting. Lucky they only charged me $25 out of warranty.
3. Oil consumption, car continues to have oil light come on way before the 10% standard signal. I have gone to Honda for oil changes and it has not qualified for them to do the work to fix. Now my light goes on at 40%. I cannot get a magic number to get Honda to say when they will warrant the fix.
I feel that the extension they made is unacheivable before the extension expires due to milage.
Has anyone gotten the repairressure covered???
Is it light goes off after you have the oil changed and drive down the road and your out of oil????
If you mean the oil pressure light goes on before the "...10% standard signal...", you have no idea what each light represents as they have almost nothing to do with one another.

The oil pressure light means the engine's bearings aren't being lubricated by oil flow. The most common reason is that oil level is low. If you look at your owner's manual you'll find Honda recommends checking the oil at each fuel stop and adding oil as needed, not waiting til the red oil pressure light comes on.

The orange "maintenance reminder" light simply means it's time for an oil change. This system has no idea how much oil is in the engine and it's not intended to serve that purpose.

By waiting for the oil pressure light instead of checking the oil regularly you are harming your engine and certainly haven't lived up to your owner responsibilities.

If I've misunderstood your post, apologies.

#3 ·
I agree with dans15 -you could definitely damage your engine by waiting for oil light to come on before doing anything. You as owner are responsible for regularly checking your oil level and not operating vehicle with it below lower line on dipstick-if you do and engine damage occurs its on you -ie; its your fault. If you check it regularly yourself and add when needed and keep track of miles driven and amounts of oil consumed then you will know how much you are actually using and what can be done about it.2010&2011 crvs will frequently use some oil as they are higher compression than previous years and use low tension oil rings-consumption on the order of 1 qt every 2-3k miles is not uncommon on the higher compression hondas with the k24 engine although some use very liitle-probably has to do with how engine was broken in and how clean oil was kept.

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply, just as you mentioned I do have to add oil. The synthetic oil change I have been getting done since purchasing the vehicle in 2011. Never had to add oil and changed frequent at the dealer recommend 7k miles. Would display above 10%. As of now I drive 5k miles and I need to add 2 quarts of oil roughly. I was called out by a Toyota Prius owner at a gas station asking why I would need to add oil to a newer Honda.

Honda recommends: majority of vehicles don’t need an oil change until after 7,500 or 10,000 miles. Some vehicles can go as long as 15,000 miles without an oil change. It all depends on the vehicle.

If I let it go without adding oil I would be out by approx. 5k miles.

I would not ever let my engine run out of oil.

#5 ·
Do you have any obvious oil leaks? Spots on floor of parking area?
Do you get blue smoke out of your exhaust pipe?
Have you ever changed your PCV valve?
Have you had a compression check done?
How many miles on your CRV?
2qts --- definitely something wrong.
Buffalo4

#9 ·
Please post a link or some actual documentation of this, or it's just BS.

My 2012 uses about 1 qt between changes. When it gets down about half a quart, at about 4000 miles, I top it off and continue to monitor until oil change due message at 15%.

#11 ·
Please post a link or some actual documentation of this, or it's just BS.

My 2012 uses about 1 qt between changes. When it gets down about half a quart, at about 4000 miles, I top it off and continue to monitor until oil change due message at 15%.
I've been in and/or around the car business for over 50 years. When people complained about their car using oil, the manufacturers would not do anything under warranty if the consumption was less than a quart in 1,000-1,500 miles.

Have you considered letting your oil get down to the add mark before you add oil? I've had and known of cars that would use a quart or part of a quart and not use any more. The oil level would drop to a certain point and then stay there. I've had motorcycles that did the same thing.

#8 · (Edited)
Always check your oil level after service. It's not unknown for dealers to only put enough in to get to the minimum mark.
Which immediately gives the impression that the engine is consuming oil.

#12 ·
I was talking to my repair shop last week when I was getting my truck fixed and we discussed how the MM works. He told me that the MM basically uses an hour meter to help determine when the oil needs changing rather than just the miles. That makes sense to me because most industrial equipment and farm equipment base oil changes and other maintenance on an hour meter. Some of my equipment calls for oil changes at 100 hours. Based on 50 MPH, that would translate to 5,000 miles if it was driven at a constant 50 MPH and 7,500 miles if the average was a more realistic 35.

#13 ·
The following quote used to appear in the Honda manuals:

"Based on the engine operating conditions,
and accumulated engine revolutions,
the onboard computer in your vehicle
calculates the remaining engine oil life,
and displays it as a percentage."

The MM system does not know what kind of oil you are using.

#14 ·
Similar to the TPMS system, it all boils down to personal responsibility. Keep an eye on your tire pressures and check the oil every week or two - then, change it at a sensible interval based on elapsed time, miles driven and driving style !! Tech is useful to a point. Craig

#15 ·
Mainly Honda did extend the warranty for failing piston rings causing too much oil consumption.

Only thing is I could not find anyone who had Honda cover the warranty yet. My local dealer as mentioned said the vehicle is not qualified yet.
Just trying to figure what the magic number was they would feel it is covered for repair by Honda. I have no leaks or blue smoke as questioned prior.
Car is running good. The warranty is for 8 years or 125,000 miles. Currently I am at year 5 and 80,000k miles.

#17 ·
You could use a higher-viscosity oil to reduce consumption somewhat. A 5W-30 (instead of the recommended 5W-20) is probably thicker, so it would not get past the rings as fast.

If you are in a warm area (Texas or Florida, for example) you could even try a 10W-30 without issue.

FWIW, an oil with less friction modifiers will retain its viscosity better over the length of the change interval. So, don't use a 0W-30.

In other parts of the world, Honda spec'd 30 weight oil for our engines.

++++++++++++

What warranty do you still have in effect on your 7 year old car? And what do you hope to achieve? It sounds as if you are needing a quart every 2000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.