Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally just lurk here and monitor the other posts, but I've got a problem of my own now. My 2016 CR/V Touring model has begun to consume oil. It has about 72K miles on it, but this has been happening since about 50K. After driving about 2500 miles after an oil change, the oil level is down to the first dot. The dealer tells me that they've consulted Honda and that Honda says that this is "normal". If it were consuming oil within 1000 miles, they would consider it an issue. Really? This is my fourth CR/V (and maybe my last) and I've never experienced this before. I've always been pleased with my CR/Vs and have raved to others about them but am feeling perplexed with this unusual (at least to me) problem. Has anyone else been experiencing this issue?

·
Super Moderator
3,238 Posts
Its really important to check the oil level after a service.
Whether or not it consumed oil depends on where the oil level was after the service. Its not unknown for dealers to charge for a full fill but omit the last quart or half a quart.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,742 Posts
In addition to what Rocky said,

1 quart per 1000 miles is a common criteria for many automakers, not just Honda.

You should be checking the oil level every month or 4 fill-ups... I think the Owners Manual says more. Our '19 HR-V OM says to check oil every week!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess that I just got used to the oil level being OK since there were never any issues with my first three CR/Vs. I was just surprised that it started to consume oil because it apparently hadn't until about 50K miles.I did check the oil level after my last change every 500 miles. It was OK each time until it started to drop after about 2000 miles.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
what grade of oil are you using? Who changes your oil? Are they using the right grade of oil? I've seen this before if the vehicle requires to use 5w20 & they use 0w20. The engine will burn the 0w20. If it's not meant for the engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I take it to the dealership for my oil changes. I assume that they're using the correct grade but since I'm not there in the bay with them, I really don't know.

·
Registered
136 Posts
My mother's 2006 CRV, even with 175K highway miles on the clock, consumed about half a quart in a 5k mile oil change. I only know that because i've done every single oil change on that engine and she refused to take it to a shop to have done.This K24 called for 5w20 and that's what i always used along with a good oil filter that is supposed to last 10K miles. I own a 2015 and i'm pretty gentle on the gas peddle and it now has about 45K miles on it; I see about half a quart gone too on a 5K oil change interval.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
So I can see Honda taking the position that a quart every 2500 miles remains within design tolerances of the engine.... even if it is actually an uncommon event with Honda engines. I'm sure they design for almost no oil burn, but as engines age.... some oil burn can be expected to result. I agree that it is quite uncommon for Honda engines.. but not unheard of.

The best thing to do is to continue to monitor it. It may stay the same for the remaining life of the car (in which case no issue other then costing you for a quart of oil after a period of time), or it may get worse. If it gets worse... then you and the dealer will be in common agreement that something needs to get addressed.

I certainly would not want a dealer tearing into an otherwise properly working engine looking for any possible cause. That could in the end create new problems that are worse then the oil burn.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had a 2009 Civic that originally called for 5w20 but i switched it to 0w20. If i remember correctly, it called for only 3.8qts but i always dumped all 4 quarts in and by the time i needed my next change, it was only down to 3.5 quarts. Once again i was using a 5,000 mile change interval; maybe it's just me but i've never seen any of engines in my family's cars use up more than half a quart of oil between changes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
There is very little difference between 0-20 and 5-20

And at typical temps you wouldn’t see a difference, only on very cold starts (much below freezing) would there be a difference in the flow rate at start up.

The “0” portion only comes into play on cold starts, the two oils would be close to identical at operating temperature. So burning more of the 0-20 wouldn’t be a normal occurrence, the low temperature 0W viscosity would have nothing to do with it.

Different brands, and different formulas within the brand, will perform slightly different though. But they all work.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
0W20 and 5W20 are virtually identical at operating temp. Obviously 0WXX is thinner than 5WXX when below operating temp. At 18K miles/year, I’m thinking a lot of miles are spent at operating temp.

Our ‘09 RAV4 owners manual says 1.1 qts/600 miles is acceptable. After 70K miles, I’ve never added a drop.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I've seen a few oil consuming Honda engines lately and they all have the exact same cause, people only changing the oil when their Honda tells them to (maintenance reminder message) and only using syn blend oil instead of quality synthetic.

See it with Toyota's and Mazdas too. Same makes and models, same lack of oil changes.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
I just met a guy with a 2016 CRV yesteday at work. He was telling me that between oil changes, he was losing a whole quart but had 90K and some change miles on the clock. Maybe he's has some worn rings or something because that seems a bit excessive.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,742 Posts
If he is dropping one qt over an entire oil change (5,000 miles, conservative?) that is not an issue.

Five quarts WOULD be a cause for concern. (1 qt per thousand)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts