Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering the effect of changing oil with an oil extractor to get (contaminated) oil out per 3000 miles without changing the filter; and change oil filter only during scheduled maintenance.

This way, it is quick (no need to jack up the car), and the cost of extra oil is less than the cost of the trade in.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Not really a solution, but if you have the oil dilution issue, then this would be the best way to tend to your vehicle until a fix is issued.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I'm getting less than 4K miles when the 15% MM goes off so I figure on just draining oil and changing the filter. Oil level remains steady. I re-fill with 3.5 qts, that puts the oil level about 1/8" below the MAX mark.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What is an oil extractor? It would be best to drain and refill the crankcase. Not changing the filter would allow a small amout of the dilluted oil to remain in the crankcase, but not enough to effect it.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,027 Posts
you can suck out some add some all you want. will it help or just be a waste. called an opinion

·
Registered
880 Posts
Whether or not 3,000 is the right interval, this approach makes sense. After all, Honda recommends changing the oil filter every other oil change anyway. And oil extractors are surprisingly good at getting almost all the used oil out of the sump.

Changing the oil and filter on my 2015 CRV is pretty easy but I still use an extractor every other change and leave the filter on. Don’t even need to change clothes...

·
Registered
988 Posts
Of course it's not a solution as it doesn't fix the inherent issue but it is a way to temporarily correct the problem as long as you put good oil in. Unless you have the time to spend at the dealer, this adds owner cost and time that wasn't anticipated when originally purchasing that shiny 'perfect' new vehicle.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just wondering the effect of changing oil with an oil extractor to get (contaminated) oil out per 3000 miles without changing the filter; and change oil filter only during scheduled maintenance.

This way, it is quick (no need to jack up the car), and the cost of extra oil is less than the cost of the trade in.

What do you guys think?
That is my plan. I'll let the dealer change the filter. I might only go 2,500 miles for a total of 5K on the filter.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
With 3.5 quarts roughly without filter, you can change the oil for pretty cheap. $15-20 or even less with rebates and such.

If you have the ability, then by all means.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
What is an oil extractor? It would be best to drain and refill the crankcase. Not changing the filter would allow a small amout of the dilluted oil to remain in the crankcase, but not enough to effect it.
Check out this one. I have been using a similar model for 6 years and they work great and no mess.
However, the dip stick tube on the CRV has a small restriction and it makes it difficult to insert the drain tube to remove the oil....but it can be done

https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-243...1546449887&sr=8-4&keywords=oil+extractor+pump

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah. But if oil dilution problem exists, even the contaminated oil is 100% removed, the newly added oil gets gas in it immediately. The issue is not how much contaminated oil is left, but if this method could at least reduce the hassle (travel to the dealer for oil change, get engine damaged by running highly contaminated oil, etc.) at a lower cost.
Of course, it is not cost free and is not perfect. But in an imperfect world, how to minimize the cost.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I like the Pela-6000 6 liter so much that I've got a brand new one put up in case the one I use breaks. No problems after about 10 years. I don't have enough posts to post a link but WalMart.com has them for around $50.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looks like a good solution. We use a similar machine at work for coolant and differential service. I didn't think about it for oil.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My solution is to use premium gas, 93 and drive in ECON mode. In order to prevent high level oil damage engine cap gasket, I use a syringe and a tube to extract out oil. So far, I haven't find gas smell and oil level increase.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts