Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

2361 - 2380 of 2387 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
The dipstick smells like gas to me but off course the service manager at the dealer says it doesn't smell like gas.
Smelling your oil is the most subjective, and least accurate of metrics to apply by an owner.

Reason: it is completely subjective... and everyone's nose calibration (such as it is) and experience is different. A dealer who services hundreds of vehicles a week... is going to be in a better position to know "normal" from "abnormal" where oil smell and color is concerned.

The color of the oil is a pretty close second, due to a lack of understanding what is normal for a modern DI turbocharged engine.

Oil level, and the presence of oil rise on the other hand.. is fairly objective (you can measure the rise in mm), as long as you actually knew the oil level immediately after an oil change (service providers, dealers or otherwise, have been known to over fill, for example).

Oil Analysis is the only actual real objective measure of the quality of your engine oil. Of course that costs money to do, but it does provide some quantitative data for peace of mind, or concern. It can even show if your engine is experiencing abnormal wear (particles) inside the engine... something some suspect, yet I have never seen an OA so far shared here that actually demonstrated such a concern as real.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Smelling your oil is the most subjective, and least accurate of metrics to apply by an owner.

Reason: it is completely subjective... and everyone's nose calibration (such as it is) and experience is different. A dealer who services hundreds of vehicles a week... is going to be in a better position to know "normal" from "abnormal" where oil smell and color is concerned.

The color of the oil is a pretty close second, due to a lack of understanding what is normal for a modern DI turbocharged engine.

Oil level, and the presence of oil rise on the other hand.. is fairly objective (you can measure the rise in mm), as long as you actually knew the oil level immediately after an oil change (service providers, dealers or otherwise, have been known to over fill, for example).

Oil Analysis is the only actual real objective measure of the quality of your engine oil. Of course that costs money to do, but it does provide some quantitative data for peace of mind, or concern. It can even show if your engine is experiencing abnormal wear (particles) inside the engine... something some suspect, yet I have never seen an OA so far shared here that actually demonstrated such a concern as real.
Agreed. Since it has only been 3 weeks since the oil change, I figure they overfilled it. I had not seen the oil level change between new and the first oil change. I will monitor it every so often. I do know for a fact that the oil smells very different that other vehicles I have. Much more like gasoline that oil. I also know the oil darkens very quickly. Much quicker than other cars I have owned. The oil is already darkening and it has only be 3 weeks and a few hundred miles since the oil change. By the time I had it changed at 8K miles it was very dark. Maybe not black but a blackish grey. But this is the only car with a turbo that I have owned so these things could be normal.

Marty

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Agreed. Since it has only been 3 weeks since the oil change, I figure they overfilled it. I had not seen the oil level change between new and the first oil change. I will monitor it every so often. I do know for a fact that the oil smells very different that other vehicles I have. Much more like gasoline that oil. I also know the oil darkens very quickly. Much quicker than other cars I have owned. The oil is already darkening and it has only be 3 weeks and a few hundred miles since the oil change. By the time I had it changed at 8K miles it was very dark. Maybe not black but a blackish grey. But this is the only car with a turbo that I have owned so these things could be normal.

Marty
It will always smell like gas and yes it turns black. It's fine soot that is not causing damage. Enjoy your vehicle.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Used Pennzoil Platinum for the last 2 oil changes and gas smell is barely noticeable at all now.Before it had a strong gas smell. What would cause this change, I have no idea.

Also on another note, had it serviced at a local oil change store and they have filled it to the full line (3.7 quarts) and it has stayed the same. The first couple times at Honda dealer they put 4 quarts in.

·
Registered
107 Posts
No talk about the extended warranty? No talk about possible fixes? Dealership warranty experiences? Fuel trim numbers? Oil analysis results, or Oil volume numbers?

Should people now:
a) Document and record oil level, sample oil and submit it.
b) Try to get the dealer to document it and have them change the oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
No talk about the extended warranty? No talk about possible fixes? Dealership warranty experiences? Fuel trim numbers? Oil analysis results, or Oil volume numbers?

Should people now:

Dealer usually doesn't change oil unless it's very over full. Just check oil regularly and document anything abnormal. We haven't had many warranty claims because the failure rate is low.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
If you take some time to go back through this thread (I know.. big arse thread for sure), you will find all of the above covered in some depth by now, and I have even summarized in the thread a couple of times over the months for the benefit of new members so they don't have to read every post unless they want to.

Basically... this thread has gone pretty quiet lately because there is simply no new news, and the software updates Honda did (world wide, not just US) in cold weather locations seems to have resolved OD issues for owners with engines operating normally (ie: no internal defects causing the normal engine purge of fuel in oil, by design, to fail). The time to be alert is when the deep winter cycle comes in North America states and provinces.. as that is when issues may pop again.

And as noted by UMRdyldo.. there simply have not been any notable failures of engines over the last 3 years, not even in China where all the concern over OD in cold climate conditions first blew up.

Believe it or not, the engine is designed to deal with OD if operating normally, and even when struggling for some reason, is tolerant of oil level rise much greater then most owners are comfortable with before it starts throwing error codes and degrading performance. So.. as UMRdyldo recommended... simply note your oil level after an oil change (dealers, other shops, do sometimes over fill) and then monitor weekly from there for notable oil rise. If it's not broke... don't try to fix it.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Should people now:

My last oil change a couple of weeks ago, message to Honda Dealership -

Josh (Service Manager at my local Honda Dealership),
Have 20K miles on our CRV and just changed the oil after 5000 miles...I drained out 4.3 qts vs. 3.7 that was put in (I know that cuz I changed it last time as well). So warm weather and minimum 10 mile trips as we live that far out of town.

The oil life monitor was at 60% life left, if I run this down to 0% life I believe the oil viscosity will be cut back to the point where it is so thin that the engine will not be properly lubricated. Please advise on what to do, should I use higher viscosity oil, or should the dealership (or Honda?) be monitoring this, or ?

His response,
“Tom
Just make sure you keep track at this point, according to Honda you should never run oil life to 0% they say change at 15%. We always recommend that you change oil every 5,000 miles. Honda is still looking into the issue there are no countermeasures available at this time. I would just make sure I change oil every 5 k and keep track of situation as you already do for future.
Josh”

Again, out there in the real world I doubt there are many people changing their own oil and checking what they drained out vs what was put in. Up until recently the dealership wouldn’t even acknowledge that there was an issue.

Oh BTW, the first time I brought this issue up the dealer said the factory over filled it and the second time as part of the TSB update they said that they over filled it.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Has anyone had TSB 18-114 applied with a good result regarding the Oil Dilution part of the TSB?

I ask because I have been able to get my OD problem pretty much under control by making sure that, after an oil change, my oil is filled only to midway between the MIN and MAX holes on the Orange Monster. Adding 3.25 quarts of oil after an oil and filter change results in an oil level which is 1/4 of an inch below MAX. Using this method has resulted in my oil level never going higher than MAX before retreating to a lower level, and so on and so on.

On my last visit to the dealer to have TSB 19-063 and TSB 19-066 applied they wanted to apply TSB 18-114. I told them that I didn’t have the time nor did I want to have it applied.

I am afraid that if don’t allow Honda to apply TSB 18-114 soon and I have any warranty issue it could be denied by Honda due to the wording on the TSB. My factory 3/36 warranty expires in February plus I have an 8/100 Honda Care warranty which I don’t want to lose.

So, Has anyone had TSB 18-114 applied with a good result regarding the Oil Dilution part of the TSB?
I am especially interested in those that had it applied after March 5 2019 when Version 7 of this TSB was released.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Don't know or remember what the 18-114 is but since I had my car serviced due to a recall letter back in Nov and 4K miles later, the oil level has not risen much, regardless of what kind of gas put in. But then we're talking about summer. Waiting for old man winter to come around and we'll see. Not totally declaring it's done yet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Has anyone had TSB 18-114 applied with a good result regarding the Oil Dilution part of the TSB?

I ask because I have been able to get my OD problem pretty much under control by making sure that, after an oil change, my oil is filled only to midway between the MIN and MAX holes on the Orange Monster. Adding 3.25 quarts of oil after an oil and filter change results in an oil level which is 1/4 of an inch below MAX. Using this method has resulted in my oil level never going higher than MAX before retreating to a lower level, and so on and so on.

On my last visit to the dealer to have TSB 19-063 and TSB 19-066 applied they wanted to apply TSB 18-114. I told them that I didn’t have the time nor did I want to have it applied.

I am afraid that if don’t allow Honda to apply TSB 18-114 soon and I have any warranty issue it could be denied by Honda due to the wording on the TSB. My factory 3/36 warranty expires in February plus I have an 8/100 Honda Care warranty which I don’t want to lose.

So, Has anyone had TSB 18-114 applied with a good result regarding the Oil Dilution part of the TSB?
I am especially interested in those that had it applied after March 5 2019 when Version 7 of this TSB was released.
Bobinpa, thanks for sharing your experience with this issue.

I do have a question as I am not sure I am understanding how your OD problem is under control by starting with 3.25qts after an oil change vs 3.7qts (full mark)?

So after an oil change, you start with a level between min and max, and your oil level rises to around max over time...which is about 0.5qts. In my case I add 3.7qts during and oil change, and over time my oil rises about 1/4” above max (still on the orange plastic end)...which is also about a 0.5qt rise?
Thanks,

·
Registered
529 Posts
Bobinpa, thanks for sharing your experience with this issue.

I do have a question as I am not sure I am understanding how your OD problem is under control by starting with 3.25qts after an oil change vs 3.7qts (full mark)?

So after an oil change, you start with a level between min and max, and your oil level rises to around max over time...which is about 0.5qts. In my case I add 3.7qts during and oil change, and over time my oil rises about 1/4” above max (still on the orange plastic end)...which is also about a 0.5qt rise?
Thanks,
The difference that I have noticed is that the oil level tends to “Burn Off” better when it never goes above MAX.
My oil level has only retreated back to 1/4 inch below MAX once but it regularly retreats back down to 3/16 below.
These examples are from the last 5,000+ miles @ 40% Oil Life, obviously I check my oil once a week.

·
Registered
198 Posts
MGALover,

I am currently scheduled to have:
TSB 19-066 - Display Audio Screen Dims or Goes Dark by Itself
TSB 19-063 - Gear shift button upgrade replacement
TSB 19-047 - The shift position indicator ("D" light) starts flashing
as we have had both 66 and 47 occur recently.

I just got the confirmation email from the dealer and they have automatically scheduled:
TSB 18-114 - Software and A/C Control Unit Update (Fix for Oil Dilution and Lack of Heat)
now I don’t want this Version 7 of 114 applied to my car as I have my OD under control mostly by using only 3.2 quarts of oil at change. It starts at midway between Min and Max and has yet to go above Max at any time. Up and down 1/8 inch at a time.
I’m afraid if I fight it they will bring up Failure to Maintain Warranty issues if I refuse it.

I believe that you are the only person that has had TSB 18-114 applied with good results.

Are you still OK with your results after having TSB-114 applied?

Thanks, Bob
BTW: On my dealer’s scheduling system TSB-114 is listed as a RECALL.
Sorry for the delay in answering. Believe it or not reading your question prompted me to check the dipstick for the first time in 3 months. Yes, I am still OK with my results. In the 2,406 miles since the oil change my oil level as gone from the full mark to the top of the orange. This rise of 0.25" is consistent with the same experience I had after having the TSB applied. I am not concerned at all about the small increase, which is much less than the 0.65" increase I was experiencing before the TSB. My plan remains the same to continue to have an oil change every 3,000 miles just for peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
The difference that I have noticed is that the oil level tends to “Burn Off” better when it never goes above MAX.
My oil level has only retreated back to 1/4 inch below MAX once but it regularly retreats back down to 3/16 below.
These examples are from the last 5,000+ miles @ 40% Oil Life, obviously I check my oil once a week.
It would be interesting to know if other owners who see oil rise in their CRVs experience a similar benefit from keeping the oil mid-way between the upper and lower marks on the dipstick. If so.. that could be a easy adjustment owners could make to help mitigate issues, particularly during cold weather months (given that you continue to see the same results in winter)

I get absolutely no observable oil rise on my CRV (I check it weekly and it has been solid) ... so I cannot be a participant in this sort of experiment.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I should have added to my earlier comment the weather is still an unknown factor at this time but it would not surprise me it played into the improvement. The highest level was in mid-Feb. The TSB was done in Mar. This winter will be the real test!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is the my experience with the CRV oil dilution:

I bought My 2017 Touring in Sep 2017. We were living in Pennsylvania.

The first year I checked the oil occasionally and it appeared that I was using some oil (after 6-8 months it was down about 1/3 the way to the fill line and I actually had a few thoughts about oil consumption) I changed the oil in Sep 2018, and had the PA state inspection done at the dealer. I was not aware of the oil dilution issue until some time after the first oil change.

I checked the oil over the fall/winter of 2018-19 and found the oil level increasing. I had been taking mostly small trips, and it was cold, so I figured that was the cause. I had the recall done in Feb 2019.

We made a trip from Pennsylvania to Florida and back in March, so I thought that the gas would evaporate. It did not. The oil level continued to rise.

In May we moved to Arizona, on the drive there the oil level continued to rise even while driving 2700 miles in 4 days.

We now live in the Phoenix area and even with the regular 100+ degree days, the oil level is still increasing. The oil is now nearly a full inch above the full mark.

So much for the "cold weather" and "short trip" effect. I don't understand why the dilution only started after the first oil change and trip to the dealer. I checked my receipt from the dealer from Sept 2017 and don't see any updates mentioned.

This is my first major disappointment with Honda.

·
Registered
198 Posts

The first year I checked the oil occasionally and it appeared that I was using some oil (after 6-8 months it was down about 1/3 the way to the fill line and I actually had a few thoughts about oil consumption) I changed the oil in Sep 2018, and had the PA state inspection done at the dealer. I was not aware of the oil dilution issue until some time after the first oil change.

I checked the oil over the fall/winter of 2018-19 and found the oil level increasing. I had been taking mostly small trips, and it was cold, so I figured that was the cause. I had the recall done in Feb 2019.

We made a trip from Pennsylvania to Florida and back in March, so I thought that the gas would evaporate. It did not. The oil level continued to rise.

In May we moved to Arizona, on the drive there the oil level continued to rise even while driving 2700 miles in 4 days.

We now live in the Phoenix area and even with the regular 100+ degree days, the oil level is still increasing. The oil is now nearly a full inch above the full mark.

So much for the "cold weather" and "short trip" effect. I don't understand why the dilution only started after the first oil change and trip to the dealer. I checked my receipt from the dealer from Sept 2017 and don't see any updates mentioned.

If I told your story to an engineer at Honda that I know he'd say all is good at those levels but at what point does it become 'fake news'. I don't know but clearly your story shoots holes in their company line.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Couple questions:
1. Did you have the recall completed?
2. Honda mechanics have been known to overfill the oil, since only 3.4 qt is required, 3.7 with a new oil filter. Have you had this discussion with dealer?

·
Registered
40 Posts
If I told your story to an engineer at Honda that I know he'd say all is good at those levels but at what point does it become 'fake news'. I don't know but clearly your story shoots holes in their company line.
Would love to have a chat with this Honda engineer. I have drained the oil out and measured it on several occasions - a 1/4” rise on the dipstick (from the max dot to the top of the orange plastic end) equates to approx 1/2 quart...which is accumulated gas. The oil the fill capacity is only 3.7 qts to start with.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Dwight, thanks for sharing. My story is similar, seemingly no problems over the first 11/12K miles, then the TSB 18-114 was done and have had the OD issue ever since...warm and cold weather.

Just curious, was the Feb2019 recall work you refer to the TSB 18-114?
Thanks,

2361 - 2380 of 2387 Posts
About this Discussion
2.4K Replies
230 Participants
MGAlover
Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums
Honda CR-V Owners Club forum, the best hang-out to discuss CVT, Hybrids, trim levels and all things CR-V
Full Forum Listing