Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 2398 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
The point is the rest of us who don't have the issue are sick and tire of seeing 6+ threads on the front page related to the oil issue. Just put everything in one thread so the rest of us who don't have the issue can enjoy the forum.

Or better yet, post them in the appropriate forum:

https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/14-problems-issues/

This is exactly the kind of post that gets things started. Nothing productive in any of it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Does anyone know of any other decent Honda CRV forums where the discussion is not censored like it is here?
And that post was productive?

I agree that all the posts on the same topic are better served under one thread. Especially when people have a tendency to go way off topic in their responses.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My solution to their fix is to bring my 2017 exl to the dealer every 1k miles for an oil change. $35 x 12 = $400 something. And I’ll make sure the repair order reads customer requested oil change due to oil smelling like fuel. Last 4 oil changes were done every 1k miles. I’m waiting for my sunroof to leak for the 5th time. But holy crap does the crv drive and sound quieter with the Michelin priemier a/s. Best $1000 I spent in a long time. At the end of the day, we all know that the competition doesn’t compare as far as options, ride or fuel economy. So at this price point I feel like I would have to down grade in looks or options or even roominess. I’ll spend the $35 a month for an oil change and keep the V alive.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Crv vs extra cold

All I can say is WOW. Not since my previous Honda, a 1986 Accord LXi, have I experienced such cold inside a car that supposedly has a heater. The ‘86 Accord was probably the worst car that I have ever bought new. I vividly remember driving home from visiting our son at Penn State in February and having to use an ice scraper on the inside of the windows to be able to see out. I swore that would be my last Honda but then I drove the 2017 CRV and figured that they must have improved them in the last 30+ years. Wrong.
Being retired we seldom go out in extreme cold but there was a doctors appointment today so we had to. It was 8F when we left for the appointment, a 5 mile 20 minute drive, when we got there the temperature gauge had yet to register. Since we were out anyway we ran a few errands adding about 10 miles, as we drove up our driveway I was finally able to see a glimmer from the temperature gauge.
I can’t imagine what it must be like having one of these in a place that gets below 10F on a regular basis. I’ve had this car for almost 2 years and I thought the oil dilution was my only real problem. If I had to put up with lack of heat and the oil dilution, I wouldn’t have the car anymore. Luckily, this type of cold is rare around here.
I genuinely like the car in spite of having all the “usual” 2017 CRV problems; Honda Sensing failure, dead batteries, Head Unit malfunctions / infotainment flashing, dashboard rattle and some others like brake cylinder failure and rear hatch realignment. Needless to say this will be my second and last Honda.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Took my '18 to the dealer today to get my heat and oil dilution issue looked at. Here are their findings:

1. Oil dilution is absolutely normal for this engine. I was sent a youtube video from Honda as a solution. Thanks.
2. There is no heat issue in the car. The tech drove it after being left outside overnight at the dealer (It was -20C this morning in Montreal) and he was very happy with the heat. No issues.

Funny how I drove 30km home tonight and I was freezing. They had given me an Elantra as a loaner and I got heat 2 minutes after I left work. I remember those days.

Needless to say I am changing dealer, but that's a different story.

I was told to drive in "S" mode. I told him that it's a hack, and it invalidates Honda's fuel economy ratings as I am not obliged to drive it in sport mode. I got silence.

So … I am facing a brick wall. Not much else can be done here.

I have absolutely no doubt now that Honda will do zero to improve any of my issues.

So I have to do what is in my control, which is to probably ditch the vehicle. Ironically, the feeling of warm air blasting from my cabin vent on a really cold day was always something fun during the winter. I am happy there are satisfied owners down South. The grim reality is that this vehicle is not fully engineered for winter.

I empathize with those who are going through polar temperatures in the US. My heart goes out to them if they have to stay warm in this car.

·
Registered
395 Posts
All I can say is WOW. Not since my previous Honda, a 1986 Accord LXi, have I experienced such cold inside a car that supposedly has a heater.....
You are not alone Bob, here is a post from a website that does not censor heat issues.

"Great job and summation Dave. Very impressive. You hit the nail on the head. I bought my 2018 CRV-EX about a year ago and due to the severe lack of heat and severe oil dilution AND blatant Honda dealer disregard and Honda Motor Corp indifference I sold my one year old CRV three weeks ago. The CRV was my third new Honda vehicle I purchased from the same dealer, and my fourth Honda vehicle. And will certainly be my LAST Honda vehicle. This is America. We have choices and I made mine. Bye Honda. By the way, I am the former CRV owner from Wyoming you ended YOUR story with."

And here is the story from the former Wyoming CRV owner "Dave" had quoted:

“Got my first taste of the CR-V heating issue just this past weekend. Living here in Wyoming we are used to bitter cold temperatures. Went across the state to the folks house this weekend and when leaving Monday morning the temperature was -8 deg F. I used the remote start to start the car. Went out shortly after and windows still frosted over and blowing cool air (not warm) out defroster vent. Didn't think anything of it since it was pretty chilly out. Re-started car and went back inside. Ten minutes later when leaving front window still frosted over 2/3 of the way [on the inside]. So I got out scraper. Started driving and it took about 12 miles at 50 mph before vehicle got to temperature according to gauge. But at least by then vehicle was blowing adequate warm air to keep windows thawed.

Going up a steep grade for the next 30 miles was not an issue. But then dropping back down the other side I noticed almost immediately the windows were starting to fog up, so I put the control to full defrost and hot but noticed it was blowing cold air. The temperature gauge on dash bottomed out completely! This downgrade lasted for approx. 20 miles so by the time I got to bottom the windows were almost completely fogged over and the wife was thinking it was the end of the world! The rest of the 250 miles to my house was fine since there were no steep downgrades and the vehicle RPM was held at 1800 or above.”

“I wouldn't want to be stranded on the side of the road all night in this vehicle relying on the heater which has happened to me before in the middle of nowhere Wyoming when it is well below zero.”

I am glad I live in Texas, my 18 CRV is the slowest heating car I have owned and I have owned many including 5 other Hondas.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I'm thankful they did this. There is no reason for 20+ huge threads on the same thing.

Oil dilution is a problem as is heat. Hinda cant seem to fix it but it's a warranty problem.

What more discussion is there?

I'm on a few huge forums and single threads is very common. 20+ about the same things are removed, locked etc because it's annoying when you trying to find other info and the entire first 2 pages is the same conversation over and over just different people starting the threads.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Crv vs extra cold thread closed too?

So basically, threads viewed as Honda Friendly can be unlimited. All others deemed as having critical wording of Honda will all be crammed into 1 thread.
Seriously? On a day when the first page has threads about not starting, adaptive cruise issues, cracked windshields, head unit problems, navigation, and concerns on resale prices, you are accusing the mods of only allowing Honda-happy threads?

·
Registered
6 Posts
2018 CRV EX-L just hit 5,000 miles last night. So I pulled the dipstick for the first time. Oil is right at the "Full" indicator. If I had to assess the smell of the oil I'd say a small amount of gas smell. But so far so good. Will change the oil and filter today. It is -2 here today.

·
Registered
3 Posts
First post! I have a 2018 Touring bought in December. I live in NJ with single digit morning temps and I have 500 miles on it. I don't have any heating or oil dilution issues so far. I'll be keeping a close eye on it and will update if anything changes. Good luck to all of you experiencing OD and/or heating issues with your car.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Due to the volume of complaints about the volume of "OD" threads, a decision has been made to only allow one thread for all discussion about this issue as some say or alleged issue as others say.

Existing threads will be closed you can put your comments here. Any new threads opened will be closed or consolidated into this thread.

In accordance with existing practice as some have discovered, posting privileges can be withheld for any poster who fails to uphold community standards of civility and respect.

The Moderating Team.
Thanks for doing this.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Interesting, I also had a 1986 Accord LXI...a couple hundred thousand miles of trouble free service? Good for that era...
Tom

·
Registered
468 Posts
Crv vs extra cold thread closed too?

So basically, threads viewed as Honda Friendly can be unlimited. All others deemed as having critical wording of Honda will all be crammed into 1 thread.
Seriously? On a day when the first page has threads about not starting, adaptive cruise issues, cracked windshields, head unit problems, navigation, and concerns on resale prices, you are accusing the mods of only allowing Honda-happy threads?
Actually, I wrote that post for you, to get you all wound up.

·
Registered
530 Posts
A History of The Problems

You are not alone Bob, here is a post from a website that does not censor heat issues.
I am glad I live in Texas, my 18 CRV is the slowest heating car I have owned and I have owned many including 5 other Hondas.
Yes, I remembered reading this post back in the pre INQUISITION days on this very forum.
https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/137-2017-present-official-specs-features-etc-gen-5/166386-2017-cr-v-versus-extra-cold-weather-9.html#post1309673

This is the second inquisition on this forum, the first one was in the early fall of 2018.
On August 24, 2108 Honda Canada released this statement.
http://www.hondanews.ca/en/news/release/Statement-Regarding-Irregularly-High-Oil-Levels-in-Certain-Honda-Vehicles?useDateRange=True&startDate=&endDate=&searchquery=&perpage=10&pageNumber=
Then the Consumer Reports article of October 5, 2018 hit the fan.
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-repair-maintenance/honda-cr-v-affected-by-engine-trouble/
And guess what, the Honda Aficionados went nuts defiling CR, calling it a has been rag among other things. And the censure continued.
On October 22, 2018 Honda released their ridiculous “Oil Dilution Is Just Peachy” video showing the wrong dipstick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVdKNRgzGT8
More importantly on October 22, 2108 American Honda released TSB 18-114 and TSB 18-124.
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AGyVIVA2pi1jtMU&cid=B95C24C34A8F41D6&id=B95C24C34A8F41D6!8567&parId=B95C24C34A8F41D6!7767&o=OneUp
Then the October 30, 2108 the second CR article hit.
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-repair-maintenance/honda-delays-cr-v-turbo-engine-fix-details-rollout-plans/
This is about the time that the first censure eased up. But still the Honda Aficionados continued to wail, I wish I could use the more common term but it is banned.
I mention these Historical mileposts because they occurred before you joined the forum in November of 2018.

The problem with this forum seems to be that “The squeaky wheel gets the grease”. Apparently those members that object to various posts or threads PM the moderators complaining about opinions that they disagree with.

There are plenty of uncensored forums to air grievances including the CR one which has a better chance of having an impact on American Honda’s philosophy than this one does.
https://www.consumerreports.org/stories?questionnaireId=69

The thing to remember is that it seems American Honda was going to do nothing about the Heat, Oil Dilution Problems until CR released their initial story on October 5, 2108. All of a sudden less than 3 weeks later they released their TSB 18-114 and TSB 18-124 fixes. Fixes that may or may not have a positive effect on the problems and may be nothing more than placebos.
Of course we will never know because my poll, which was just starting to get some traction, was among those that were summarily shutdown in the latest inquisition.
https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/137-2017-present-official-specs-features-etc-gen-5/193641-what-effect-did-tsb-18-1x4-oil-dilution-software-update-actually-have.html

·
Registered
42 Posts
I must be extremely lucky.

My 2017 Touring didn't have the heating issue, slight oil dilution that seemed to improve going with Amsoil oil.

Took it into the dealer for the recall and the heat has improved. Today it was -8F and the gauge moved up within a couple miles and I had heat by then.

41 - 60 of 2398 Posts
About this Discussion
2.4K Replies
232 Participants
UMRdyldo
Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums
Honda CR-V Owners Club forum, the best hang-out to discuss CVT, Hybrids, trim levels and all things CR-V
Full Forum Listing