Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

2381 - 2400 of 2527 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Would love to have a chat with this Honda engineer. I have drained the oil out and measured it on several occasions - a 1/4” rise on the dipstick (from the max dot to the top of the orange plastic end) equates to approx 1/2 quart...which is accumulated gas. The oil the fill capacity is only 3.7 qts to start with.
Isn't 0.5 qts 13.5% of 3.7 qts, or even higher when started with less oil? Assuming OD under control by just keeping "oil" level below MAX sounds quite optimistic to me.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Sound Familiar????

·
Registered
1,301 Posts

Sound Familiar????
Yep. Saw a very similar declaration to owners from Mazda on their CX5s via their dealer TSBs as well. Its an industry wide issue.

Not to mention... these are not the only factors that affect fuel dilution of oil. Actual fuel blends do appear to affect how rich the engine runs (based on some shared testing by forum members here as to fuel trims vs fuel used), and an engine running rich means there is likely fuel getting into the oil under most driving conditions. Given that there are literally hundreds of different fuel blends used across different states and provinces in North America, as well as different blends for winter an summer, it is reasonable to think that this is the "stealth rodent" behind why some CRVs have real issues with oil rise and others do not.

Honda does have some reports of bad internal engine parts too... and if the cams or related components are in any way out of spec.. I would expect poor normal performance (which might be masked to the owner to some degree as the engine tries to compensate) and that could also be a key contributor to oil rise. [But there is a chicken and egg situation with this one... is it bad cams causing oil rise or is excessive oil rise causing bad cams.] That said.. the number of reported engines with this issue appears to be very low compared to the number in the field.

And then we have the other often over-looked factor ---> the native abilities of the engine to purge fuel from the oil during driving. In most cases this appear to work well for most owners.. but in some cases... maybe not.. and I'm surprised that this is not given more attention and investigation for those owners who are experiencing an issue with constant oil rise regardless of driving conditions, temperatures, etc.

And as I have noted in the past... same engine, three different models of Honda (Civic, CRV, Accord) and yet the CRV is the one that appears to have more issues (though Civics are not totally immune). I have seen some reports of oil rise in Accords, but is appears much less common, and it also is reported on the 2.0T version of Accords as well. That said... across the three models of vehicle..... literally millions of them on the road and reports of oil rise issues are in the low thousands based on what I see on the internet. It's not unreasonable to conclude what is experienced here is within normal defect rates for a consumer automotive engine. Of course if you are the one with the defective engine.. it sucks big time and can be very provocative towards ones emotions and feelings about their car and the manufacturer.

In closing.. why do Accords seem much less prone then CRVs to this issue, with the same engine? We own a 2017 CRV and a 2018 Accord... and I can tell you that the Accord engine comes up to temperature a lot faster then my CRV... and this would correlate with comments from Honda about engine temperature while driving being a notable cause. Note: neither of our vehicles exhibits any visible oil rise, and the Accord is mostly freeway driving 40 minutes on average, and the CRV is mostly short trips in town.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I don’t really have any idea what the shape of the oil sump is so I don’t know if the following measurement applies to the entire length of the dip stick, but.
When the dealer overfilled my oil to 6/16 of an inch above the MAX hole (Top of Orange) I siphoned out 7/16 of an inch which was equal to 18 fluid ounces of oil. It really left a bad taste in my mouth by the way.

So based on my siphoning, 7/16 inch = 18 ounces.

As I am in need of an oil change within the week due to an upcoming week long road trip. I have decided to have my oil change done at an independent shop instead of going to the dealer and having TSB 18-114 forced upon me.
Besides, having read rumors that Honda will be releasing a NEW “FIX” for the heat and oil dilution problems in November 2019 and having lived with this problem for over two years, waiting a few more months seems like the logical thing to do.

I have never found any correlation between “short drives” vs. “long drives” or “10 F cold temperatures” vs. “95 F hot temperatures” when it comes to my car’s oil level. On the other hand, whenever traffic conditions or terrain have created diminished gas mileage is when my oil level tends to drop. Make that little sucker work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dwight, thanks for sharing. My story is similar, seemingly no problems over the first 11/12K miles, then the TSB 18-114 was done and have had the OD issue ever since...warm and cold weather.

Just curious, was the Feb2019 recall work you refer to the TSB 18-114?
Thanks,
Yes the 18-114 is what was done in Feb 2019.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I don’t really have any idea what the shape of the oil sump is so I don’t know if the following measurement applies to the entire length of the dip stick, but.
When the dealer overfilled my oil to 6/16 of an inch above the MAX hole (Top of Orange) I siphoned out 7/16 of an inch which was equal to 18 fluid ounces of oil. It really left a bad taste in my mouth by the way.

So based on my siphoning, 7/16 inch = 18 ounces.

As I am in need of an oil change within the week due to an upcoming week long road trip. I have decided to have my oil change done at an independent shop instead of going to the dealer and having TSB 18-114 forced upon me.
Besides, having read rumors that Honda will be releasing a NEW “FIX” for the heat and oil dilution problems in November 2019 and having lived with this problem for over two years, waiting a few more months seems like the logical thing to do.

I have never found any correlation between “short drives” vs. “long drives” or “10 F cold temperatures” vs. “95 F hot temperatures” when it comes to my car’s oil level. On the other hand, whenever traffic conditions or terrain have created diminished gas mileage is when my oil level tends to drop. Make that little sucker work.
Bob and others,

I would love to give you specifics but I am honoring my own impossed rule not to share publicly what was shared privately with me by a Honda engineer. All I can say is Honda's duraabilty stress tests show you have nothing what-so-ever to worry about - not even close.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bob and others,

I would love to give you specifics but I am honoring my own impossed rule not to share publicly what was shared privately with me by a Honda engineer. All I can say is Honda's duraabilty stress tests show you have nothing what-so-ever to worry about - not even close.
And, I presume, we should believe this engineer unequivocally since he has absolutely no skin in the game and, of course, no evidence or data to share.

·
Registered
203 Posts
And, I presume, we should believe this engineer unequivocally since he has absolutely no skin in the game and, of course, no evidence or data to share.
Believe what you want. Ask me if I care. You can presume what you want and make any nasty reply you want. I was going to answer why I believe him but I don't want to waste your time or mine. So you won't have to make your 3rd post in 7 months!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Believe what you want. Ask me if I care. You can presume what you want and make any nasty reply you want. I was going to answer why I believe him but I don't want to waste your time or mine. So you won't have to make your 3rd post in 7 months!
I'm interested and I'll love to hear why you believe him, it might bring a little peace of mind to some of us.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I'm interested and I'll love to hear why you believe him, it might bring a little peace of mind to some of us.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
I know some members think that Honda engineers screwed up badly on the 1.5T, but does anyone actually believe they didn't account for fuel dilution and they didn't test the longevity of the engine?

It's not like Honda took a step backwards and poorly designed the rest of the engine. Hence why most members will never have an engine issues.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I know some members think that Honda engineers screwed up badly on the 1.5T, but does anyone actually believe they didn't account for fuel dilution and they didn't test the longevity of the engine?

It's not like Honda took a step backwards and poorly designed the rest of the engine. Hence why most members will never have an engine issues.
That's simply your opinion - too early to tell.

·
Registered
342 Posts

Probably only tested the engine for about 500,000 miles of so.
Like they usually do.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
That's simply your opinion - too early to tell.
Let's be objective here... this motor has been in the field for over 5 years now (with some very high mileage, particularly in the Civics), beginning with the Civics, and there are somewhere between 4 and 5 million in the field now between Civic, CRV, and Accord now, just in North America. Probably close to 2 million more between Europe and Asia as well. And there is no evidence at NHTSA or anywhere else on the internet about notable or persistent premature engine failures on the 1.5T powertrain.

So.. NO.. it's not too early to tell. UMRdyldo is presenting an informed statement, not just a drive by opinion.

·
43 Posts
I agree, commenting on engine failures to date is premature...failures are likely to occurs down the road xxx thousand miles. I can tell you this with 100% certainty...an engine that has not been properly lubricated will not last as long as one that has, including excessive fuel Dilution. Time will tell on this 1.5l turbo...

·
Registered
102 Posts
There are quite a number of gen-5 CR-V stalling reports on the web, e.g.

If we really want to establish OD does not cause engine problems, try proving none of the reports were OD related. And try again 6 years down the road...

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
There are quite a number of gen-5 CR-V stalling reports on the web, e.g.

If we really want to establish OD does not cause engine problems, try proving none of the reports were OD related. And try again 6 years down the road...
If you really want try and prove that OD is related to engine problems, don't post a link to a website with many reports from previous generation CRVs.

Also, was there a single report of engine failure in there?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Let's be objective here... this motor has been in the field for over 5 years now (with some very high mileage, particularly in the Civics), beginning with the Civics, and there are somewhere between 4 and 5 million in the field now between Civic, CRV, and Accord now, just in North America. Probably close to 2 million more between Europe and Asia as well. And there is no evidence at NHTSA or anywhere else on the internet about notable or persistent premature engine failures on the 1.5T powertrain.

So.. NO.. it's not too early to tell. UMRdyldo is presenting an informed statement, not just a drive by opinion.
All good points. The 1.5t engine has been tested on the road.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
this Post isn't gonna help anything so i probably shouldn't hit "Enter". but here goes....
WHY do we (Myself included) believe the positives regarding the 1.5L, and tend to disbelieve or tear apart the reports of trouble? it's EXTREMELY real to the "Poster".
i know, i know, % of problems when looking at the overall sales numbers.
two weeks ago i drove 2,500 miles in a '19 EX-AWD. [Edit; i was the driver, not the owner] didn't check the oil once. wasn't intentional. that's what i mean, i believe the positive.
also, the '19 has a much better suspension than my '15 of the same Trim. quieter and the windows let less solar heating in. popped the hood at a rest area after 200 miles. engine under-hood area was MUCH cooler than my '15 would have been.

2381 - 2400 of 2527 Posts