Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

2521 - 2527 of 2527 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
It would seem logical to me that a fix to repair a lack of heat issue could only increase the chance of OD. Now that it's getting colder and the cabin heat is starting to kick-in, I'm already noticing it takes much longer for the engine to reach temperature. I do what might be considered shortish daily trips, so it will be interesting to see if my 2019 ever develops OD - so far so good.

Not sure about the shutters, but would assume they would have little effect until the engine reaches temperature and the thermostat opens up to let the engine coolant flow thru to the rad?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
It’s been a really long long hot summer and I’ve forgotten......is the heat fix/repair under the hood or under the dash?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Do you know what the software update changed? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Do you know what the software update changed? Thanks.
Reflashing the PGM-FI (programmed fuel injection) and TCU (transmission control unit) is what the documentation filed with NHTSA states.

Specifics of course are not revealed. Since the engine is used in large volumes in Civics, Civic Si, CRV, and Accord, and they each have sleightly different programming... we really cannot make much in the way of conclusions as to exactly what they changed.

Since Accords rarely have the issue it seems, perhaps they adjusted programming on Civic and CRV to be closer to what was programmed for Accords in some way. That is speculation on my part, but follows logic.

For a long time I could not figure out why Accords appear immune yet some Civics and CRVs suffer. Then it dawned on me.. the L15B7 engine is actually a series of engines under the L15B7 core engine, each programmed a bit differently, and sometimes with some part differences (both internally, such as cams) and external to the core of the engine (turbo, air intake systems, and transmission). Since each product line is on a separate release schedule, my conclusion is that the Civic, CRV, and Accord design teams are all using the base engine, but are actually configuring it a bit uniquely for each product line (which actually makes sense). For example.. Accords turbo spins up to full speed at 1600 rpm, yet CRVs spin up closer to 1800-2000 rpm). That might just be a difference to give the Accord a bit more pep early in acceleration, or it could be more meaninful. /shrug.

I see both good and bad in having the ability to eletronically adjust the core engine across a range of performance requirements. Good because it's software, so easy to change in the field. Bad because they can get the code wrong in some way and put an actual software engine defect in the field if they get it wrong somehow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm curious how anyone can read the dipstick on these that closely? I've basically just stuck with: "There's oil on it in the general area of the holes, I guess it's good."
I roughed up the orange plastic tip on the end of the dipstick with sand paper, I think it helped to read the oil level better...took some of the glare away and the thin oil seems to stick a bit better?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I'm puzzled as to how whatever programming change could make a difference in cabin heat.🤷‍♂️

2521 - 2527 of 2527 Posts