Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

2961 - 2980 of 3020 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I found a You tube video that claims a "fix" for their OD issue. Have no idea what the accuracy of the claim is, or any background to the claims. He claims to have stopped oil level rise on the dipstick around 56k.
Worth a shot I guess.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I continue to believe having the Honda dealership change the oil and oil filter every 3,000 miles is the cheapest long term insurance you can buy. The average driver logs 12,000 miles per year. At $59 per change that adds up to $236 per year.

Does that ensure me it will last 250,000 miles? I am hoping to find out. No one at Honda can fault me for being proactive on oil changes. I have proof positive I exceeded their recommendations and they did the change. And personally I believe that is the best fix.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I continue to believe having the Honda dealership change the oil and oil filter every 3,000 miles is the cheapest long term insurance you can buy. The average driver logs 12,000 miles per year. At $59 per change that adds up to $236 per year.

Does that ensure me it will last 250,000 miles? I am hoping to find out. No one at Honda can fault me for being proactive on oil changes. I have proof positive I exceeded their recommendations and they did the change. And personally I believe that is the best fix.
Are you one whose vehicle has had OD and this seems to help?

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I found a You tube video that claims a "fix" for their OD issue. Have no idea what the accuracy of the claim is, or any background to the claims. He claims to have stopped oil level rise on the dipstick around 56k.
Worth a shot I guess.
Guess where all of that advice came from?

This thread.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ha. perfect!

Which member posted the you tube video?
Id like to find his forum posts to learn more.

It's worth a shot to use premium, increase oil intervals and change oil brand. Why not?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Ha. perfect!

Which member posted the you tube video?
Id like to find his forum posts to learn more.

It's worth a shot to use premium, increase oil intervals and change oil brand. Why not?
Use premium with 10% ethanol. -This features more timing and better fuel trims.
Decrease oil change intervals - This is a good idea for any vehicle where oil is an issue
Increase oil weight to 0w30 or 5w30- Debatable about OD, but will protect the engine better
Always use a very good synthetic
Drive in sport mode more often
Don't idle your car for long periods
Install a block heater if possible

That's all there is to do if you have had the Honda software update installed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks, that's a good list.

I've been driving the first 2-3 miles in the morning in Sport and that moves the temp gauge pretty fast. Once it hits midway, I move to Drive.
The Youtube video recommends Castrol GTX, but doesnt specify why this brand.

I'm on the fence about the block heater. It would only solve half my daily cold starts. Once at work, it's a cold start in Sport mode to head home.

I drive 66 miles daily so Im hoping that's enough highway miles to assist in dissipating some of the gas in the oil.
I'm going to cut the oil interval to 4000-5000 miles instead of the 7000 to 10000.
I bought a cool easy drain plug to reduce the time and work on an oil change.

I don't have any heat issues, defrost and cabin warms up reasonably fast enough. Below is my window at 1 minute 42 seconds after remote start.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I don't even know why you guys are sweating it.
Again, MANY civics with the same engine are getting close to 200K miles and a few went over the 200k mile mark. They had OD for far over the CRV ever did.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Where do these reports of 200k mile Civics come from? I wander around the civixc.com forum once in a while and don’t recall seeing anything close.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Where do these reports of 200k mile Civics come from? I wander around the civixc.com forum once in a while and don’t recall seeing anything close.
While you are wandering around at civixc.com do you see lots of reports of blown or engine failures due to OD or carbon buildup?

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
796 Posts
Lots of fuel dilution concerns but no, not many reports of major engine problems.

Getting back to my question, where are the 200k mile reports coming from? Because if engine longevity is going to be an issue there just might be a connection.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Lots of fuel dilution concerns but no, not many reports of major engine problems.

Getting back to my question, where are the 200k mile reports coming from? Because if engine longevity is going to be an issue there just might be a connection.
Honestly... you are not trying then.

While you are not going to find a robust chest beating single thread about long miles and no issues in 10th gen Civics.. there is plenty of actual data that will easily answer your question... even through simple extrapolation of reported data on earlier in the 10th generations Civic life cycle. Why? Because early on Civic owners did a lot of comparing milage to date.. back in 2017 and 2018. Simple linear extrapolation of reported data would push past 200k in a good number of instances. One thing Civic drivers do, that fewer CRV drivers do... is they drive the hell out of their Civics in many cases.. using them for long distance commuting as well as performance driving.

I am NOT going to do all your google leg work for you.. but I will share a few meaningful reference points for you to consider and get you started. And I recognize that perhaps what I share may or may not overcome your skepticism.. and that is fine... others will look at the data objectively and conclude.. yep.... not only are Civic owners not reporting blown engines after 4 years... many are in fact pushing or over 200K miles.

This one is good for extrapolation based mileage data.. given there were a good number of high mileage owners back as early as 2017, cataloged in the very first post (keep in mind the Civic had this engine two years before the CRV.. we even have some CRV owners with mileage pushing 100K now) Who has the highest odometer reading on 1.5t Civic?

This one includes self reported polling data as well as comments: How Many miles do you have 100K yet. Turbo Care-

And finally.. a recent specific anecdote that addresses your question. Who has the most miles on their 1.5t civic? and if you bother to read other posts after this one.. you will see people telling him he is not the highest..and others have north of 200K

·
Registered
796 Posts
Ask a legitimate question and get a sarcastic answer. I see there may be a few high mileage examples and thanks for that.

But let’s also keep in mind that accumulating that kind of mileage in 3-4 years inevitably requires a lot of highway or other driving that keeps the oil temperature high for extended periods. In other words, conditions where fuel dilution is least-likely to be present. Encouraging? Yes. Exonerating? Maybe not yet, especially for those short trippers in cold environments.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I haven't put this on yet. Waiting for my next oil change to install it.

Plus, I can drain a quart of gas diluted oil easily and replace with fresh oil if I want.

Yeah, its $40, but if I can spend $20 on a killer 22oz Barrel aged stout and totally enjoy it, I'm not too worried about the cost.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Ask a legitimate question and get a sarcastic answer. I see there may be a few high mileage examples and thanks for that.

But let’s also keep in mind that accumulating that kind of mileage in 3-4 years inevitably requires a lot of highway or other driving that keeps the oil temperature high for extended periods. In other words, conditions where fuel dilution is least-likely to be present. Encouraging? Yes. Exonerating? Maybe not yet, especially for those short trippers in cold environments.
You said you could find no such reports, asked for some.. got some. Simple as that, and simple and easy to find for anyone actually looking. There are more out there.. it is up to you if you go look for them or not.

Note: One of the noted reports of an early high mileage 10th generation Civic is from cold country in Canada.

As I said.. any response to your request for information is likely to be discounted by you, and that is your choice to make. If you only want to believe... 10 years later.. long after the product is obsolete and replaced.. that IS your choice to make. I'm not sure how that helps you though.

The 10th generation Civic came to market earlier (about 18 months) compared to the gen5 CRV, is sold in similar volumes in North America and larger volumes world wide, and Civic drivers often put more miles on their Civics and faster than CRV owners.. and as such... represent a valid indicator of what CRV owners can expect with regard to the future.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I haven't put this on yet. Waiting for my next oil change to install it.

Plus, I can drain a quart of gas diluted oil easily and replace with fresh oil if I want.

Yeah, its $40, but if I can spend $20 on a killer 22oz Barrel aged stout and totally enjoy it, I'm not too worried about the cost.
Many of us use an oil extractor to remove oil from the top. Don't even have to get on the ground to change oil.

·
Registered
796 Posts
You said you could find no such reports, asked for some.. got some. Simple as that, and simple and easy to find for anyone actually looking. There are more out there.. it is up to you if you go look for them or not.

Note: One of the noted reports of an early high mileage 10th generation Civic is from cold country in Canada.

As I said.. any response to your request for information is likely to be discounted by you, and that is your choice to make. If you only want to believe... 10 years later.. long after the product is obsolete and replaced.. that IS your choice to make. I'm not sure how that helps you though.

The 10th generation Civic came to market earlier (about 18 months) compared to the
gen5 CRV, is sold in similar volumes in North America and larger volumes world wide, and Civic drivers often put more miles on their Civics and faster than CRV owners.. and as such... represent a valid indicator of what CRV owners can expect with regard to the future.
Merely suggesting that, as a supposed wise man once told me, I was making an inference unsupported by the data as the data points were based on underlying use patterns that were too different. Much like an long distance highway cruiser compared to a short-tripper in the context of fuel dilution.

We all have our opinions and biases. No need to continue to try and change them with multi-paragraph (and condescending) responses.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Honestly, I've never heard of an oil extractor for an auto, except for an inboard boat engine. I'll google it.

Would it remove as much oil as draining from the plug?

Edit: nevermind, I read a few articles on it and I'll keep draining from the plug, plus I have to wipe everything clean after changing the filter. Thanks for the suggestion

2961 - 2980 of 3020 Posts