Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

3301 - 3320 of 3342 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Yes the fix was done in late Oct.2018 when the vehicle had 4,000 miles on it. It seems to have had no impact on the dilution.
Was the fix done because you reported an issue or was it done as TSB issue?

I'm thinking whatever they said they did didn't stick or it didn't actually happen.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for bearing with me. I actually had two such two high level incidents.
In November I had an oil change at an independent. This would have been the second oil change for this vehicle, with the prior one being done by the dealer. Within a 45 days, I noticed my MPG drop from 30.1 to 29.5 which puzzled me. No change in driving habits or gasoline used.
I wouldn't be surprised if the drop in MPG wasn't related more to the switch to winter blend fuel than oil level.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Yes the fix was done in late Oct.2018 when the vehicle had 4,000 miles on it. It seems to have had no impact on the dilution.
Given this.......I bet you have one or more leaking injectors. Not unheard of, particularly in the early production runs of the gen5 CRV.

The TSB certainly does NOT address any actual issues with the injectors. So if you had the TSB, and no improvement.. that points to some other point of failure in your CRV.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Have you been back since to let them know that what they say they did actually did nothing? I'm thinking they didn't do it at all, by accident. I'd have it checked again.
Yes but was told by dealer then to call Honda. I opened a case with Honda and was simply told, "operating as designed there is nothing more we can do for you. Is there anything else we can help you with?"

·
Registered
210 Posts
Given this.......I bet you have one or more leaking injectors. Not unheard of, particularly in the early production runs of the gen5 CRV.

The TSB certainly does NOT address any actual issues with the injectors. So if you had the TSB, and no improvement.. that points to some other point of failure in your CRV.
I agree its likely a fuel injector problem but until it starts throwing codes or has some other problem develop they won't do anything else. It runs good but I just keep thinking someday something is likely going to happen and I just hope its still covered under warranty when it does.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I agree its likely a fuel injector problem but until it starts throwing codes or has some other problem develop they won't do anything else. It runs good but I just keep thinking someday something is likely going to happen and I just hope its still covered under warranty when it does.
Is the fuel economy as it should be?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ours seems to be on the low side of the published EPA of 27mpg overall, 25 city and 31 hwy. Since it is mainly driven in the suburbs at speeds of under 45 mph we are seeing something closer to 23 mpg overall. On the most recent "long" trip on the interstate the trip computer said 33 and I hand calculated 31.8. We were driving into a head wind on the way down but had a tailwind on the way back. This doesn't sound horribly far off from the published estimates but we aren't getting anywhere near what some members are reporting. I pretty much drive the speed limit with no jack rabbit starts,

·
Registered
7 Posts
I invested in a 2019 1.5T Civic Prestige here in the UK.

Absolutely no oil dilution issues.

Sadly, the Civic didnt stay with me for long as I swapped to the 1.5T CVT CR-V. Again, absolutely NO oil dilution issues. As the 5th Gen CR-V was almost 2 years behind the USA in being available, we had the benefit of all CR-V's not only coming from Japan, but with the OD issues never rearing their head.

Now, you guys in the USA have the facelifted CR-V, with the same engines we do. No OD issues.

If I were in the USA, I would be buying a MY2020 Honda CR-V 1.5T in a heartbeat.
If they had offered the 2.4L non- turbo for the EX-L trim level I would have bought that in a heartbeat

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I agree with you... no codes.. the dealer has nothing objective to act upon.

Codes are kind of a two edged sword it seems. On the one hand they make it easier to narrow down a failure. On the other hand... dealerships and independent service centers have become so dependent on codes for diagnosis that an absence of codes generally means no action taken.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I agree with you... no codes.. the dealer has nothing objective to act upon.

Codes are kind of a two edged sword it seems. On the one hand they make it easier to narrow down a failure. On the other hand... dealerships and independent service centers have become so dependent on codes for diagnosis that an absence of codes generally means no action taken.
Correct. There are no "mechanics", just "parts replaces". Sadly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Correct. There are no "mechanics", just "parts replaces". Sadly.
I predict I will be in a similar situation in a couple months. My problem is, that once I realize I have a piece of equipment that needs more TLC (ie more frequent oil changes) or family member (more love) in order to head off a crisis situation, I will do so. Honda is banking on this behavior.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I know its subjective , but my barely 1 month old 2020 lx awd's dipstick smells strongly of gas . Oil level slightly above full mark .

aprox 2,100 kilometers mixed driving . not really going to worry about anything since its a lease and I have a written note from dealer owner that he'd let me out of lease if it throws a code related to OD .

·
Registered
163 Posts
I know its subjective , but my barely 1 month old 2020 lx awd's dipstick smells strongly of gas . Oil level slightly above full mark .

aprox 2,100 kilometers mixed driving . not really going to worry about anything since its a lease and I have a written note from dealer owner that he'd let me out of lease if it throws a code related to OD .
My new 2020 with only 5 miles on the odometer had oil that smelled of gas. This is normal for DI engines.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I invested in a 2019 1.5T Civic Prestige here in the UK.

Absolutely no oil dilution issues.

Sadly, the Civic didnt stay with me for long as I swapped to the 1.5T CVT CR-V. Again, absolutely NO oil dilution issues. As the 5th Gen CR-V was almost 2 years behind the USA in being available, we had the benefit of all CR-V's not only coming from Japan, but with the OD issues never rearing their head.

Now, you guys in the USA have the facelifted CR-V, with the same engines we do. No OD issues.

If I were in the USA, I would be buying a MY2020 Honda CR-V 1.5T in a heartbeat.
To speak to your (UK point), as a descendent of a few UK residents 300 years ago, we still use some of the 'old' wisdom: "Once burned, twice shy." I seriously doubt, Mr. DarkKnight, that you know exactly whether there have been 'Oil Dilution' issues with any Hondas; thus I take your advice on buying another CRV with a 'Grain of Salt'.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks. I am in CA, have only 22k miles on it and also bought the 84 month 100k mile extended warranty at the time of new car purchase at the dealer. All the same this whole thing is unnerving.
You might be unhappy to learn that the 'Oil Dilution' issue is not the only major mechanical issue Honda is facing. The other one is how well Honda can "manage/contain the information" that the constant velocity transmission might not be as robust as "Honda car salesmen" make it out to be. While I do own a 2011 CRV (with a 5-spd autotrans Which has served well enough so far), there isn't an incentive on the planet that would induce me to buy a gen-5 vehicle from Honda, though they've tried.

While I can see a manufacturer making a bonehead engineering mistake on a new car(and I've seen a few), I cannot countenance the games corporate Honda has played with the American car-buying public. Whether or not the Oil Dilution problem has been fixed, which I doubt, the large mis-infomation conduct of the corporation to all of us concerned has been shameful.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
To speak to your (UK point), as a descendent of a few UK residents 300 years ago, we still use some of the 'old' wisdom: "Once burned, twice shy." I seriously doubt, Mr. DarkKnight, that you know exactly whether there have been 'Oil Dilution' issues with any Hondas; thus I take your advice on buying another CRV with a 'Grain of Salt'.
You're welcome to take it with whatever you want.

Fact remains, unlike the USA which has had OD issues, over here in the UK, its been silent. There may well have been cases, I dont deny that. But nowhere near the extent to the North American market.

Also, our CR-Vs are built and sourced in Japan. Could there be a superior build process there? Almost certainly. Thats not to detract from the honest hard Honda workers in the USA, but we all know the detailed scrutiny and excellence Honda manufactures its vehicles in Japan, and they are always going to be leagues ahead of non-Japanese Honda plants.

So as said, take it as you wish.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Fact remains, unlike the USA which has had OD issues, over here in the UK, its been silent. There may well have been cases, I dont deny that. But nowhere near the extent to the North American market.
I have to support this statement. The UK media is never slow in highlighting motoring deficiencies and the only mention to OD I have seen refers to earlier US and Chinese Gen 5 models.

3301 - 3320 of 3342 Posts