Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

3321 - 3340 of 3342 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
You're welcome to take it with whatever you want.

Fact remains, unlike the USA which has had OD issues, over here in the UK, its been silent. There may well have been cases, I dont deny that. But nowhere near the extent to the North American market.

Also, our CR-Vs are built and sourced in Japan. Could there be a superior build process there? Almost certainly. Thats not to detract from the honest hard Honda workers in the USA, but we all know the detailed scrutiny and excellence Honda manufactures its vehicles in Japan, and they are always going to be leagues ahead of non-Japanese Honda plants.

So as said, take it as you wish.
Im pretty sure your U.K. regular fuel has a octane rating of 95, while us Americans are still in the 80s with 87 octane trying to make these modern engines run on it. That would be the answer to me for the difference. My 17 EXL has been on 93 octane since it had 3200 miles and has 35000 now. No measurable OD since I switched to premium 93 octan.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Im pretty sure your U.K. regular fuel has a octane rating of 95, while us Americans are still in the 80s with 87 octane trying to make these modern engines run on it. That would be the answer to me for the difference. My 17 EXL has been on 93 octane since it had 3200 miles and has 35000 now. No measurable OD since I switched to premium 93 octan.
Not every petrol pump is exclusively RON95 here. Many supermarkets here supply lower graded fuels.

I ran my CR-V on those lower octane fuels and have experiend absolutely no issues at all. I am now using RON95, getting a little better gas-mileage, but I'm not too worried about that overall.

That said, I still stand by my earlier remark that the Japanese-built CR-Vs are built superior than those of the USA - and notwithstanding the fact that the 5th Gen arrived here almost 2 years after the USA did and the OD issue was found, so its very likely - inevitable in fact, that prior to arriving in the UK, the OD issues were fixed and is why there are almost zero cases of it happening - across the 1.5T CR-V, the 1.5T Civic and even on the recently powered HR-V that has the same 1.5T engine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not every petrol pump is exclusively RON95 here. Many supermarkets here supply lower graded fuels.

I ran my CR-V on those lower octane fuels and have experiend absolutely no issues at all. I am now using RON95, getting a little better gas-mileage, but I'm not too worried about that overall.

That said, I still stand by my earlier remark that the Japanese-built CR-Vs are built superior than those of the USA - and notwithstanding the fact that the 5th Gen arrived here almost 2 years after the USA did and the OD issue was found, so its very likely - inevitable in fact, that prior to arriving in the UK, the OD issues were fixed and is why there are almost zero cases of it happening - across the 1.5T CR-V, the 1.5T Civic and even on the recently powered HR-V that has the same 1.5T engine.
Good information, and I’d agree on the Japanese built CRV, but have nothing to go on. Mine has been a great vehicle so far other than some OD on the front end of ownership.
By the way, we are hooked BritBox. Watch those murder mysteries about every night.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The reason I highlight the Japanese build quality is down to experience.

I had 4x 4th Gen CR-V's - all built in Swindon. They were amazingly screwed together. But the 5th Gen I have now is even better put together.

Prior, I had 2x Accords (badged as the Acura TSX) - and likewise, they were just sublime.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Apples to oranges comparison though, but both are still in the "fruit" family of food so to speak.

FACT: octane ratings mean different things in the UK compared to the US.

In Europe, the octane rating on the pump is simply the RON figure. America, by contrast, uses the average of the RON and the MON figures, called the AKI (anti-knock index). Thus, 97 octane “super unleaded” in Britain is roughly equivalent to 91 octane premium in the United States.
In other words.. subtract ~ 5 off the octane rating in the UK to arrive at the same effective AKI octane for US gas.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The reason I highlight the Japanese build quality is down to experience.

I had 4x 4th Gen CR-V's - all built in Swindon. They were amazingly screwed together. But the 5th Gen I have now is even better put together.

Prior, I had 2x Accords (badged as the Acura TSX) - and likewise, they were just sublime.
There is likely better overall build QA in Japan, given how deeply the manufacturing culture in Japan has institutionalized the TQA (Total Quality Assurance) approach and processes of W. Edward Demming (ironically.. an American engineer and statistician largely ignored for many years by American and European vehicle manufacturers). So in general, fewer quality control escapes from Japanese production lines for motor vehicles compared to the rest of the world. Unlike most of the rest of the world, the Japanese auto worker takes extreme pride in work quality to a level not seen in other regions of the world... even today.... after American manufacturers have largely embraced Demmings work now. For the Japanese.. it is also a "face" issue when defects escape their factories.

All Honda factories follow the same assembly process on the same exact production line setups for their production vehicles. Which means that all Honda factory lines benefit from Japanese based design and specifications for parts and sub-assemblies. So other than perhaps some fit and finish variability outside of the Japan based factories.. a CRV is a CRV in the modern era. If anything.. Honda engineering has continued to adopt simplified manufacturing processes, and extensive use of automation to "institutionalize" consistency and quality across their factories world wide. Example: Some owners complain about there being wider gaps on door edges and trim finish on newer generation CRVS (which is an accurate observation) ... yet that is clearly by design to lower QA rejection issues during manufacturing. Even Toyotas, often peddled as the best at manufacturing finish, are not manufactured to the very tight door and finish tolerances as was common 20 years ago.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
^

I was thinking more (specifically) in terms of build quality for the engines in relation to this OD thread....
I understand.

Honestly... more and more.. if there is a build qualtiy issue behind OD.... I think the early OD issues with the gen5 CRV is likely the injectors.. given that owners of some 2017s are now reporting engine codes for running way too rich.. and the cause is isolated to one or more bad injectors that need to be replaced.

We do know that Honda quietly changed the injector design during the gen5 life cycle. We also know that some early OD issues were isolated by dealers in the US to be one or more leaking injectors. And we now are seeing more reports of high repair bills out of warranty for bad injectors. None of which though explains the OD sensitivity to being aggravated by cold weather conditions.

I would fully expect a Honda factory in Japan would find and purge any part batches that were found to have any issues quickly... even stopping the production lines to do so if needed. Whereas in the North America factories.. even being the same run lines.. the staff are different and in my view less attentive to watching for and flagging any issues with components that go into the assembly process.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Also, our CR-Vs are built and sourced in Japan. Could there be a superior build process there? Almost certainly. Thats not to detract from the honest hard Honda workers in the USA, but we all know the detailed scrutiny and excellence Honda manufactures its vehicles in Japan, and they are always going to be leagues ahead of non-Japanese Honda plants.
My understanding has always been that all Honda CRV engines are built in Japan. Therefore all CRV's - whether assembled in Canada/US or shipped assembled to UK from Japan have engines that came from the same factories in Japan.

·
Registered
827 Posts
My understanding has always been that all Honda CRV engines are built in Japan. Therefore all CRV's - whether assembled in Canada/US or shipped assembled to UK from Japan have engines that came from the same factories in Japan.
I believe engines and transmissions in US CRVs are sourced from the US.

·
Registered
2020 Honda CRV Touring
51 Posts
Yep, my Canadian built 2020 has a USA built engine and transmission according to the window sticker.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
As noted by members, that is definitely not the case.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Used to be true ... but no more. Honda builds their engines for North America factory use... in the US.

·
Registered
584 Posts
My 2017 EXL was assembled in Ontario, Canada in January 2017 using an engine and a transmission made in the U.S.A.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am one of the my people that may have an Oil dilution problem. To explain that comment mine is nowhere close to what some of the member describe here and my dealership starting a case with Honda now. Which according to the service manager is the first case they have seen in eastern North Carolina.:confused2:

Not being an Automotive engineer and only a "shade tree" mechanic. I was wondering if any of the members have had there PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system checked by Honda? All the informative information from Honda is saying that the gas is not evaporating/burning off from the oil reservoir/oil pan, it would be that system that carried the vapors away. With a turbo charged engine I would think the PCV system would be weak because of the turbo pressure in the manifold. All the PVC systems that I have seen operate using vacuum from the intake manifold. As I said I'm not a automotive engineer and maybe some here knows how it works different on the turbo engines.

Yes, I plan on asking my dealer about the system when they call me back.
Good question. I would think that only the gasoline vapors would be drawn by the PCV system, leaving the liquid gasoline behind in the oil. I am guessing that the Honda engineers were looking at temperature & compression and forgot about other potential effects. A costly oversight, but it is worth it in the long run to have a recall to protect the brand. Toyota is waiting in the wings!!!

3321 - 3340 of 3342 Posts