1,730 Posts
error, deleted

·
Registered
1,730 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
So has this been resolved on the 2020 models? Looking to buy but do not want to deal with any of this
Wait and see may be a better answer or the jury is still out. Issue has been discussed ad nauseam and many loathe the question.

The first quote is from carcomplaints.com.(NHTSA).

The second link is an excellent review of the CRV.(May '20) Oil dilution discussion begins at approx 4:39 Also, the comments on the vid are noteworthy..

I am experiencing the engine oil dilution problem. I had the oil changed after less than 2000 miles driven because it looked like spent oil (dark and cloudy) and smelled heavily of gasoline. Technicians at Honda advised that I keep getting the oil changed regularly, but that there was no fix that they could make to the oil dilution problem.
- Ann Arbor, MI, USA
2020 Honda CR-V Engine Problems

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Wait and see may be a better answer or the jury is still out. Issue has been discussed ad nauseam and many loathe the question.
There is no jury out.

OD has been fixed. That dude doing the road test video is clearly behind the times. Just as well he's staying there - stuck in the past like his useless "review".

·
Registered
203 Posts
Stop saying it's 100% fixed. We now know exactly what the software update did and we are reasonably certain that some of the hardware (fuel injectors, rings, whatever other parts, etc.) was likely improved starting with 2019 models. We have absolutely no reason to believe there have been any significant changes to the engineering under the hood between 2019 and 2020 model years. There have still been some limited anecdotal reports of OD in spite of these remedies.

It is a FACT that DI makes OD more likely compared to port injection or multi-point injection. It is a FACT that GDI engines are more likely to experience OD than naturally aspirated engines. It is a FACT that combining DI with GDI makes OD more likely than either alone.

Is it a big enough problem to prevent me from buying a new 2020 CR-V if all other determining factors tell me that a 2020 CR-V is the right vehicle to purchase for my needs? At this point, probably not. But it's not true that we know with 100% confidence and certainty that the 1.5T engine is going to have the same reliable longevity of Honda engines of the past that routinely drove 250,000-500,000 miles without any major repairs needed. Until we have an abundance of these 1.5T engines reaching 200,000 miles in the real world without major issues, the jury is still out.

There was a long period of time when past performance of Honda engines built in the 1980s could reliably predict the longevity of similar Honda engines built in the 1990s and 2000s, even into the early 2010s. THOSE DAYS ARE OVER. The technology and engineering used in the design and manufacture of newer engines has changed so drastically that past performance is no longer a reliable indictor of what to expect in the future.

If you tend to keep a vehicle less than 100,000 miles, I would not allow this issue to get in the way of buying/leasing a 2020 CR-V. On the other hand, if you plan to drive this vehicle 200,000 miles or more, I would hesitate long enough to research some competing vehicles. Skepticism that this engine with remain completely free of problems beyond 200,000 miles can only be considered healthy and smart at this point. While it's common for most engines to have some problems after 200,000 miles, the question is whether OD specifically will contribute to potential problems in this specific engine, and we simply do not know.

The real gray area in my mind that potential buyers should consider is what will the ownership experience be like after 100,000 miles and before 200,000 miles? I know there are some anecdotal instances of the 1.5T that was introduced in Honda sedans in 2015 reaching 200,000 miles without incident, but they're still few and far between. Not enough people drive that many miles per year to have reliable information yet.

For people who drive 15,000-20,000 miles per year and plan to keep the vehicle for 8-12 years, that sticks them exactly in this 100,000-200,000 mile gray area, and for potential buyers in this category, I think it's prudent for them to introspectively decide for themselves how much risk is too much for them personally. For this segment of buyers in particular, it's irresponsible to simply indicate, "yes, the problem has been fixed."

OD has been addressed and in most cases, addressed effectively. But not 100%. One thing I would definitely avoid is buying a used 2017 or 2018 CR-V, even the base model with the 2.4 engine. The 2019 LX is the most likely, in my opinion, of this generation of CR-V to reliably make it to 200,000 miles without incident, with the 2.4 engine and improved mechanical components compared to 2017-'18. It's a shame that Honda eliminated the 2.4 entirely for 2020 across all CR-V trims, but I understand it was a business decision for the company.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Stop saying it's 100% fixed.
But it IS fixed for 2020 models - because thats what member @brihvac is asking about. 🤷‍♂️

OD has been addressed and in most cases, addressed effectively. But not 100%.
Well, @brihvac wasn't referring to used/pre-owned/pre-2020 models so my prior posts is/are still accurate and relevant in that context.

Further, here in the UK, there has not been any groundswell of OD issues on the CR-V since it launched here in late 2018.

So we still have the pre-facelifted model with the 1.5T engine. As do I. There may well be the odd isolated case, but certainly nothing along the lines of what North America or other markets have seen so again, its not an issue.

I couldnt care less about used models - in the reference frame of the question from @brihvac, OD has indeed be dealt with for all CR-Vs made in 2020 onwards. No reason at all not to buy or scaremonger, frankly.

·
Registered
203 Posts
But it IS fixed for 2020 models - because thats what member @brihvac is asking about. 🤷‍♂️
What mechanical changes that would possibly affect OD, if any, have been made in U.S. models between 2019 and 2020 model years?

There were some limited reports of 2019 models experiencing OD. It's way more rare than earlier years, but it has happened. Presumably, it will continue to happen in a very small percentage of 2020 models unless we know that some additional tweaking has been done from 2019 to 2020, which is something I haven't read or heard about anywhere.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
What mechanical changes that would possibly affect OD, if any, have been made in U.S. models between 2019 and 2020 model years?
I'm not privy to specific changes since the USA/Canada have had the benefit of having the facelifted model introduced, so I wouldnt be aware - that might be something other North American members could perhaps answer, as well as any associated Honda USA press releases. Suffice to say, OD on 2020 CR-Vs are done. Period.

There were some limited reports of 2019 models experiencing OD. It's way more rare than earlier years, but it has happened.
Wholly irrelevant unless we know when those cars were actually assembled/manufactured.

Presumably, it will continue to happen in a very small percentage of 2020 models ....., which is something I haven't read or heard about anywhere.
🙄

Why will it continue to happen on 2020 models? How many times does it have to be repeated that the OD issue on 2020s are non-existent - even by your own admission? 🤦‍♂️

Really do not get this obsession that some posters have with the OD thing. Sure, fine, its happened. Its been fixed/applied to pre-2020 CR-Vs. You might get a bad egg, but the majority in the basket are just fine, like the 2020s.

If people are reading up on the OD issue and still have hang ups, then why are folks even bothering to buy CR-Vs despite knowing the alleged OD "risks"?

Bonkers! 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
426 Posts
I will say this again. I see Gen 5 CR-Vs on the roads and freeways everywhere here in the Greater Los Angeles area. I have never seen a single one pulled over, broken down.

OD is a common by-product of the GDI engine design. Dealing with it is built into the design.

Car shoppers should not be concerned.

Lastly, I'll bet that 99.999% of the general public has never even heard of the term "Oil-dilution".

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I will say this again. I see Gen 5 CR-Vs on the roads and freeways everywhere here in the Greater Los Angeles area. I have never seen a single one pulled over, broken down.

OD is a common by-product of the GDI engine design. Dealing with it is built into the design.

Car shoppers should not be concerned.

Lastly, I'll bet that 99.999% of the general public has never even heard of the term "Oil-dilution".
Pity some people will never grasp this reality....or, as I pointed out prior, OD is not an issue for MY20 CR-V's....

·
Registered
203 Posts
Why will it continue to happen on 2020 models? How many times does it have to be repeated that the OD issue on 2020s are non-existent - even by your own admission? 🤦‍♂️
(1) There were some limited reports of 2019 models that had both the software/firmware update installed at the factory (as opposed to at the dealership for eligible 2017 and 2018 models) and also had whatever improved/redesigned physical mechanical parts installed at the factory that were designed to reduce the incidence of OD for these 2019 vehicles compared to the two earlier years.

(2) We have been given absolutely no reason to believe any additional engineering changes have been made for 2020 over 2019 despite (what seems to be at this point) the purely cosmetic facelift.

When combining the two above points, it's not only reasonable to conclude that some rare instances of OD should be expected for 2020 models, but undeniable. If A = B and B = C, then A = C.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Where to even start with this word-salad you keep delivering....🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

(1) There were some limited reports of 2019 models...
Key word - LIMITED.

Not "Every"...even if you would have liked the OD issue to have occurred on every CR-V ever made. You keeping saying this tripe yet wholly ignore the squillions of CR-Vs out there with zero issues at all. I wonder why that is.....🙄

(2) We have been given absolutely no reason to believe any additional engineering changes have been made for 2020 over 2019 despite (what seems to be at this point) the purely cosmetic facelift.
Correction - YOU havent been given a reason. I have.

Honda CR-Vs for the UK/Europe are built in Japan - far superior build quality all round compared to non-Japanese Honda manufacturing/assembly facilities - even if those non-Japanese sites have fantastic assembly/quality protocols, like in the USA and Canada, for example. Theres no disputing that.

So again, just because the Honda CEO didnt send you a personal memo doesnt mean your position is valid. It isnt. And OD issues are non-existent, thus far, on any scale of any new MY2020 CR-V.....nor will they ever reach the magnitude of when the 5th Gen was introduced.

Hard for you to grasp and accept isnt it? But thats the reality, even if you choose to deny or ignore it.

If A = B and B = C, then A = C.
It could equal X-Y-Z for all I care. Fact is, your OD obsession and wholly incorrect scaremongering is not only flat out wrong, its actually pitiful to read and respond to. Therefore, I'm out. Enjoy conspiracy-theory land....🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
(1) There were some limited reports of 2019 models that had both the software/firmware update installed at the factory (as opposed to at the dealership for eligible 2017 and 2018 models) and also had whatever improved/redesigned physical mechanical parts installed at the factory that were designed to reduce the incidence of OD for these 2019 vehicles compared to the two earlier years.

When combining the two above points, it's not only reasonable to conclude that some rare instances of OD should be expected for 2020 models, but undeniable. If A = B and B = C, then A = C.
Your logic is absent facts... and is promoting a theory as reality. Following your logic, but in a different context ......it is not unreasonable to expect 1-3% of new CRVs are totaled or involved in accidents requiring major body work to get them back to factory spec either... but we don't go around blaming that on the gen5 CRV design. Well I'm sure some owner will blame the vehicle somewhere.. but my point remains.

FIRST: you are again creating confusion between OD which exists in every GDI engine, and is most often handled by design... in Hondas case.. a very robust PCV system with what is clearly an early issue with some CRVs having ABNORMAL levels of OD. Please stop doing this.. as it simply gets the entire discussion wrapped around an axle of minunderstanding.

FACT: incidence reported on the internet and in this forum specifically about OD in 2019 and 2020 units is virtually non-existent. And the 2019s have had a full winter cycle for cold weather owners too. This clearly demonstrates Honda has addressed the problem through some software design changes.

FACT: prior to the Honda TSBs to address this issue in cold weather states/provinces.. there were a range of good quality reports of abnormal OD. Since the completion of the TSB campaign to address cold weather OD issues..... complaints from owners have diminished greatly... really now at a very low noise level and there is no way to know if what any given owner is reporting is factual... or they are just caught up in the old internet hysteria around the topic. Example: "my oil smells like gas!", "my oil is black!, yet oil levels are reported as normal... in an engine we all know now is very tolerant to oil rise without damage to the engine or alert codes.

You are free to continue to sow fear, uncertainty, and doubt... as the rest of us are free to provide contrasting viewpoints that point out the weakness of your approach here. Your difficulty is you are trying to prove a negative with no relevant data.

Separately... for drivers looking to obtain a used CRV.... I would simply state that 2017s, and to a lesser extent some 2018s, are now showing up with error codes that go right directly to bad fuel injectors. Something solved with the 2019 model year as most of us now know that Honda did make some adjustments to the manufacturing specs for the fuel injector rails. Not a large number being reported.. but definitely some.. and for all we know... injectors going bad now... could very well have been leaky for some time and as such are quite possibly a root cause for CRVs where the Honda software fixes did not resolve their abnormal OD. Bad injectors is something to be cautious about when buying a used gen5 CRV ... but it is categorically NOT an OD design issue, it's a part defect.

·
Registered
51 Posts
So has this been resolved on the 2020 models? Looking to buy but do not want to deal with any of this
So we got our 2020 around march right at the beginning of the lockdowns. althought it hasnt been really cold in NJ during those times, i did occasionally check for rising oil levels and found none. One thing i noticed off the bat is the temperature gauge hitting the middle, or what i assume to be operational temp way faster than our 2017. But I'll be honest with you im kinda suspicious about it since i feel like it reaches it way too fast, im hoping honda didn't do some trickery here. But I wont really know till we hit winter months again, but im confident with how fast the temps go up(assuming honda didn't cheat), that it's likely solved. so take that as you will

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a '19 CRV Ex bought in April 19. Just a few observations. Generally most ventures out are not grocery trips but more of the 10-50mi jaunts. My car lives in northern NJ where we have a 3-95 degree weather.
I've never had the OD issue, more than what might be common to the design of this type of engine. I do change my oil quite often as I plan to keep the car hopefully 8+ years.

Two things of interest:
1). Honda has a done a VERY astute job of telling any personnel at the dealership/service to play dumb over what the OD issue is. They simply have never heard of it.
2). With 20K on the odometer, without the MM indication to do so, I had the rear differential fluid changed at the dealer. So I get in my car and drive home.... I think Honda has done a software/firmware update to the engine. My cars rpm/transmission seems to be running at higher rpm's/some slight transmission shifting/operating attribute chgs when doing normal driving and the car does seem to heat up quicker. This in normal driving mode (not sport or economy). So I was concerned as its strange to have your car altered. Trust me, I am very perceptive on how my car drives!

Engine seems to be more quasi 'tense' due to some change in shifting/rpm characteristic. I took it back to dealer and they double checked fluid level in rear and that was ok. All they said was my car has 20K on its Bridgestone tires and that can change how a car drives....! LOL.
I am convinced they did some type of update and did not document it. So on the highway now i put it in Eco mode and that seems to make the car run smoother.

I have not taken the issue up again as my gas mileage has not been altered. Just a thought i would share. I am one of those people that are pretty in tune with their cars driving so something has changed.

·
Registered
203 Posts
You guys used my own qualifiers to qualify my statements. Good job! 👍

If everyone here became a little less personally invested in winning the argument and actually took my statements at face value, it would be clear that I am not "sowing fear, uncertainty, and doubt," LOLOLOL 😹

People should be fully informed if they want to be. Most people clearly don't want that anymore, and I'm not only talking about participants in this thread.

This is a DISCUSSION FORUM. That means it is supposed to be used to engage in DISCUSSION, in which it's entirely possible that multiple people can have contradictory opinions that are all valid. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts. My opinions are not facts, and neither are anyone else's.

3361 - 3380 of 3440 Posts