Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

3381 - 3400 of 3440 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
You guys used my own qualifiers to qualify my statements. Good job! 👍

If everyone here became a little less personally invested in winning the argument and actually took my statements at face value, it would be clear that I am not "sowing fear, uncertainty, and doubt," LOLOLOL 😹

People should be fully informed if they want to be. Most people clearly don't want that anymore, and I'm not only talking about participants in this thread.

This is a DISCUSSION FORUM. That means it is supposed to be used to engage in DISCUSSION, in which it's entirely possible that multiple people can have contradictory opinions that are all valid. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts. My opinions are not facts, and neither are anyone else's.
There is no new discussion here. No changes to the CRV worth talking about. No fixes to this worth talking. Every single piece of this puzzle has been discussed and is found in this thread.

Quit beating this dead horse.

·
Registered
203 Posts
There is no new discussion here. No changes to the CRV worth talking about. No fixes to this worth talking. Every single piece of this puzzle has been discussed and is found in this thread.

Quit beating this dead horse.
This thread got bumped because someone asked if the problem has been solved. The response that it has been 100% solved required additional comment. That's all.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
You guys used my own qualifiers to qualify my statements. Good job! 👍

If everyone here became a little less personally invested in winning the argument and actually took my statements at face value, it would be clear that I am not "sowing fear, uncertainty, and doubt," LOLOLOL 😹

People should be fully informed if they want to be. Most people clearly don't want that anymore, and I'm not only talking about participants in this thread.

This is a DISCUSSION FORUM. That means it is supposed to be used to engage in DISCUSSION, in which it's entirely possible that multiple people can have contradictory opinions that are all valid. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts. My opinions are not facts, and neither are anyone else's.
I agree with you in principle (y) , but not in your approach. (n)

A simple question was asked, and answered.. then you took to a long plowing of fear and doubt, absent anything other than your personal speculation. Your desire was to "clarify" but what you actually did was "muddy up" an otherwise fairly straight forward answer (at least to most of us who have been following and participating in this thread).

To reiterate.. the question was.. "has this been fixed for 2020 models" .. and the answer... based on data is YES. It was in fact fixed with the 2019 model year release. 2017 and 2018 model years were selectively updated in cold weather states and provinces in the US.

Next time, maybe stay on the topic of the question and use of actual data, or.. be very clear that you are speculating, but have no proof. That would save the rest of us feeling the need to come in and qualify and clarify your comments... not for you, not to "win some argument", but for the benefit of future readers of this thread who do not know all the long history of this topic, much less wanting to read close two hundred pages to catch up on everything.

If there was not so much opinion presented as fact, or wild theories absent data to support them being presented as fact ... most of the threads in this forum would be a lot shorter, more accurate, and more focused and life for the mods would also be a lot easier.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
The prudent thing when receiving a simple question from someone seeking to know if the OD issue is resolved is to answer it simply, directly and honestly, and if needed, reference earlier posts in the thread... because as UMRdyldo has correctly pointed out... the issue is behind us, and literally every possible angle to the issue has been discussed, debated, updated, etc.... ad nauseum.

I expect there may still be some 2017s and 2018s in the field that have not had the Honda TSBs applied, and as such these first two years may still have some issues in the field. Honda has agreed to apply the updates to any CRV that exhibits abnormal OD... regardless of where the owner is located (ie: even in warm weather states if the vehicle clearly exhibits the issue, for which there are few actual posts from owners that they have the issue in warm weather states).

·
Registered
122 Posts
I was told today by my dealer parts department that I need to be using Honda's new engine oil in my 2018 Honda CRV 1.5L. I went in to pick up an oil filter. She came out with the filter ($17.19CA with crush and taxes) and a Liter of 0-20 Honda Oil. She said that Honda is now using a synthetic blend of some kind that will be better for for the oil dilution problem. She also said that I would be wise to use it since my extended warrantee may not be honored if I do not. Has anyone heard anything of this? Thanks

·
Registered
339 Posts
In the US this wouldn't be accurate, they can't force you to use OEM products to keep your warranty intact. But you do need to use parts or products that meet the OEM spec.

Someone from Canada will need to provide the info for there.

·
Registered
2020 EX-L AWD
40 Posts
I asked the question and am glad for the answers I have got. Who really cares if the fix was a software reprogramming issue and not mechanical? As long as its fixed. If I do get one I am going to get a extended Honda Care warranty.
I drove one and love it compared to my Hyundai Tucson so let the dealing begin. I am driving an hour to a dealership that is ultra high volume and has almost 400 in stock. It is the end of the month and the guy sent me pricing that is unbelievable

·
Registered
203 Posts
Nobody used the term 100%, except you.

You apparently interpreted DarkKnights comments and projected from there.
Not all simple questions come with neatly packaged simple answers.

Next time, maybe stay on the topic of the question and use of actual data, or.. be very clear that you are speculating, but have no proof. That would save the rest of us feeling the need to come in and qualify and clarify your comments... not for you, not to "win some argument", but for the benefit of future readers of this thread who do not know all the long history of this topic, much less wanting to read close two hundred pages to catch up on everything.
The wording I used in my responses made it very unambiguously clear that I was speculating, and that everything I was speculating about was how OD specifically may or may not affect long-term engine wear once a CR-V unit reaches 100,000 miles or more. I openly recognize that I'm speculating, despite my failure to explicitly use the word "speculative" as a qualifer. On the flip side of that coin, it seems that you fail to recognize that you too are speculating and/or expressing an opinion that a 1.5T engine that has experienced significant OD in its early life will not be negatively affected by it in the long-term, once it reaches (if it reaches) 100,000 miles and beyond. There is a good basis for you to hold that opinion and I'm not denying you the right. But at this point, on July 31, 2020, this is still your opinion no matter how loudly you yell it from mountain tops all over Nevada.

Therefore, since you brought up the subject of when one of us feels the need to jump in and clarify someone else's statements, I was simply doing exactly the same as you've been doing, and mostly for the same reasons as you.

I encourage you to go back and read post 3368 again. I never discouraged anyone from buying a CR-V due to the OD issue or for any other reason, especially for anyone who doesn't plan to own the vehicle beyond 100,000 miles. The most damning condemnation about the CR-V in that post was, "If you plan to drive this vehicle 200,000 miles or more, I would hesitate long enough to research some competing vehicles." That's not fear mongering, at least not to someone who doesn't feel like the CR-V is their firstborn or works on a dealership sales floor. I was merely encouraging people to do additional research before making a ~$30,000 investment and stating my reasons why I think it's a good idea for buyers to be more informed rather than less, and to consider their personal needs and risk tolerance rather than relying on a generalized and vague cookie cutter response.

I wish I didn't have people nitpicking at my phraseology or word choice when the overall sentiment and message I was delivering couldn't have been clearer. Not everyone's situation is the same. The answer to the question, "has this problem been fixed for 2020 models," may not have the same answer for someone who leases a new vehicle every 36 months compared to someone who buys a new one every 12-15 years. As long as this thread is already, this question deserves more response than a dumbed-down one word answer that suggests the answer is the same in 100% of cases. That's why I used "100%" as a qualifier, and yes, I'm guilty of being the only person who used it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
That sounds like total BS to me especially with a 17 $ filter.
Check Amazon.ca.. 15400-RTA-003 $20.15CA (free shipping). As for the rest, believe what you like.
I was told today by my dealer parts department that I need to be using Honda's new engine oil in my 2018 Honda CRV 1.5L. I went in to pick up an oil filter. She came out with the filter ($17.19CA with crush and taxes) and a Liter of 0-20 Honda Oil. She said that Honda is now using a synthetic blend of some kind that will be better for for the oil dilution problem. She also said that I would be wise to use it since my extended warrantee may not be honored if I do not. Has anyone heard anything of this? Thanks
A little further information. I am told that in early 2020 Honda came out with a new oil called Honda Ultra. It remains fully synthetic but an additive has been included that deals with moisture in the oil caused by slow engine warm up. At this time, in my area, Honda Dealers are using this oil for in house changes at no extra charge. I assume this does not come up often as most have their oil changed in house. I am told that it is highly recommended that this oil be used in the cold winter months. However I dont think that using another brand that meets spec. will affect warrantee but it may not have that moisture additive. And yes that is the cost of a filter in Canadian $.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Check Amazon.ca.. 15400-RTA-003 $20.15CA (free shipping). As for the rest, believe what you like.

A little further information. I am told that in early 2020 Honda came out with a new oil called Honda Ultra. It remains fully synthetic but an additive has been included that deals with moisture in the oil caused by slow engine warm up. At this time, in my area, Honda Dealers are using this oil for in house changes at no extra charge. I assume this does not come up often as most have their oil changed in house. I am told that it is highly recommended that this oil be used in the cold winter months. However I dont think that using another brand that meets spec. will affect warrantee but it may not have that moisture additive. And yes that is the cost of a filter in Canadian $.
Aha! So it isn’t fixed...

·
Registered
24 Posts

Thanks for the info and I apologize I missed the Canadian $. I 'm curious if you can buy this oil at your dealer as we speak in the US?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Just a note for you people in the back row,

fuel in oil =/= water in oil

We have seen some CRV's with water in oil. But an oil that prevents water condensation is not going to prevent fuel in oil.
For those with no sense of humor and who can’t resist a dig at other members, yes, fuel is not the same as water. But if it’s true that Honda believes a “special“ oil, not available from other sources, is needed to protect its fragile engines from the consequences of cold-weather operation, I’d say not all is well with the 1.5T.

Personally, this to me seems like a simple dealer scam to get into someone’s pocketbook and not an approved Honda solution. But again, some posts require a sense of humor to appreciate.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
For those with no sense of humor and who can’t resist a dig at other members, yes, fuel is not the same as water. But if it’s true that Honda believes a “special“ oil, not available from other sources, is needed to protect its fragile engines from the consequences of cold-weather operation, I’d say not all is well with the 1.5T.

Personally, this to me seems like a simple dealer scam to get into someone’s pocketbook and not an approved Honda solution. But again, some posts require a sense of humor to appreciate.
Yeah it's 100% scam marketing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
See post 3239 - from 3 months ago - I have researched this, and the industry wide roll out of a 'new' oil [or a different blend of additives] was specifically to address dilution. That's why the issue is much improved.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
See post 3239 - from 3 months ago - I have researched this, and the industry wide roll out of a 'new' oil [or a different blend of additives] was specifically to address dilution. That's why the issue is much improved.
I disagree with your conclusion here. TL;DR at the bottom for short readers.

Be honest now. You were chewing the fat with a sales guy and when OD was discussed.. he fed you a line to suggest Honda had done something with the oil to "fix it". Note that there are however NO TSBs that document the claim of the sales person, unlike the TSBs to address changes in ECU programming to address OD. Subsequent posts by other forum members stated this to you quite plainly.

Essentialy.... you bought into the sales pitch and project a conclusion that is not supported by engineering and science. Jabbering with a sales guy trying hard to sell vehicles and telling you something you did not work to confirm is always risky. Personally, I would never take anything a sales person claims as fact.. not even close to fact.

It is pretty clear now that the real purpose of the modification to the oil was that it has an additive to effectively reduce any accumulation of moisture in the oil in conditions where water vapor could condense rather than boil off (ie: warm engine, vs cold engine). Water left in oil will over time emulsify the oil and shorten it's effective life span.

Stopping water accumulation in oil is a constant and evolving challenge for motor vehicle companies.... particularly given that the output product of combustion of a gallon of gas = more than one gallon of water as a combustion byproduct. So water and water vapor in combustion is an unavoidable reality. This is an industry wide issue.

The question really is how to you purge it or mitigate it's effects on the engine. You either keep it out of the oil pan (impossible), or you adjust your lubricants to deal with it, or you have a system to purge it as part of combustion (much harder to do than to purge fuel). The oil formulation changes make the most sense since motor vehicle oil is somewhat hygroscopic.. but the really evil part is that once water emulsifies into the oil it is very hard to remove and moves the oil from lubricant to corrosive over time. Additives mostly likely bind to moisture and prevent it from being a free corrosive in the oil. This is one of the reasons for a hard time limit of 1 year between oil changes, even if the oil has low miles on it. Water = corrosion source = persistent once in oil = bad for engines internal parts.

TL;DR: design best practices are to insure that oil cannot be allowed to accumulate non-oil contaminants. Where fuel is concerned.. designers develop robust PCV systems that will purge any fuel from oil as a normal course of engine operation. As engines become more and more thermally efficient though.. this challenge increases because engine heat is a primary contributor to purging fuel from oil in conjunction with the PCV system. This is precisely why Honda's fix for OD was centered around changes in the ECU to adjust combustion for better thermal management as a component in OD management. Where water is concerned though... the best practice is to mitigate it to begin with so that it does not degrade the quality of the oil prematurely.. and special additives make absolutely good sense in this regard. Moisture in Oils: The Three-Headed Beast – AMETEK Brookfield

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Yeah it's 100% scam marketing.
The new formulation may actually improve oil life and reduce corrosion of internal engine parts due to water accumulation in the oil. But I doubt it does that much to improve things quantitatively, so it reads much more as an engineering tweak by Honda... something they do often in fact... in a range of small incremental ways.

Since there have been zero technical service bulletins or update campaigns on the part of Honda about requiring a new oil formulation.. this reads as just one among many continuous improvement efforts by Honda for it's vehicles. In fact.. anyone that watches Honda engineering closely would observe they are constantly making incremental improvements on their vehicles to correct any perceived weakness. Honda is well known for this, even though they are generally quite bad at communicating it out to the consumer, and instead drive it through the dealerships as

If Honda were to do anything oil related for OD.. I would fully expect that they would up-specify the oil from 0W20 to 5W20 or 10W20.. since it is indeed cold weather conditions that cause a colder engine block, which inturn impedes normal purging of fuel from the oil. A 5 or 10 weight oil @ cold would make sense.. since it would not impair engine performance and wear.. but would definitely help mitigate any fuel getting past the rings until the engine warms up and the hot viscosity of the oil kicks in.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Regarding the whole “special additives” issue, if water/fuel dilution is an industry-wIde issue it surely would have been addressed with the introduction of the SP/GF-6 oil formulation released May 1 of this year. So it seems unlikely Honda branded oil has a “secret sauce” to mitigate the problem.

Best approach for owners is to buy an API approved oil as suggested in the Owner’s Manual in the SP formulation. These oils are now becoming available at WalMart but at the selection is still mixed be sure you choose the right bottle.

3381 - 3400 of 3440 Posts