Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

3421 - 3422 of 3422 Posts

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
AGAIN:
Changing your oil more often has no effect on longevity. There is zero data to support it.

There is a hell of a lot more data support frequent oil changes. Especially in regards to direct injection engines. OD changing the viscosity as well as possible valve coking from contaminants.
Accurate assessment, with one nuance to be aware of.

More frequent oil changes will result in higher metal particulate counts in any oil analysis.... but I have yet to see one that is out of range in any oil analysis published by a CRV owner. But just like some owners freak at the color of their oil or the smell of their oil.. some also freak at any variations in oil analysis results (rather then seek and understand why and what is normal vs abnormal).

The nuance is an owner who changes their oil frequently, has an oil analysis performed on each change, and then panics when they see metal particulate counts higher than prior oil changes on oil that ran longer miles. We actually had this very sort of thing in the forum sometime later part of last year.. even though the higher metal particle counts remained well within normal limits according to Blackstone.

So my only advice to those who prefer to change oil more frequently... just understand that the additives in the oil designed for scrubbing out deposits.. will also result in some small increase in metal particle counts. THAT is not your engine self destructing, that is the additives doing their chemical job.. which has one side effect... slightly higher particle counts in an oil analysis.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I reached out to 2 large Honda dealers in my area about a early first oil change and the answer was the same- leave in for about 5k.
I'm not surprised.. as most CRVs will pop a MM at around 5K on the factory oil. Some will go less distance and some will go more... it all depends on the particular owners driving style and driving conditions.

I'm a low annual miles driver for the most part so mine popped at ~2750 on the factory oil... but that was at the one year calendar point (which the MM is now smart enough to keep track of for owners) where oil change is specified as mandatory.

Each owner is free to do as they wish with respect to oil changes of course... but when Honda very specifically states that they want the factory oil to remain until the MM triggers a change point.... I personally take them at their word.

Honda knows much more about proper break-in characteristics of their engines than any of us do, and the current generation Maintenance Minder is very intelligent and monitors a wide range of variables now days to calculate remaining oil life.

3421 - 3422 of 3422 Posts