Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 2510 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Jst_Bcuz, in the photo of the engine cover, the yellow arrows are pointing to the oil air separator chambers. The separator for the turbo intake is the lower arrow, the intake manafold is the upper arrow. The gray tube at the upper right goes to the intake manafold. The little yellow thingy at the upper left is the PCV valve. The breather tube is not shown but attaches to the engine cover at the lower left. You can see this tube on your vehicle connected between the cover and the air intake duct just before the turbo.
One would have hoped that, if the fuel dilution issues were in any way associated with the PCV system (bad design, bad batch of parts, etc.), Honda would have recognized this early on and made modifications for future production and issued a TSB for existing models.

Unless PCV mods are so extensive they require major engine redesign (unlikely), the fact that Honda has not included this system in the TSB sure is strong evidence to me that this isn’t the problem.

·
Registered
395 Posts
A single thread will be a mess. There are a lot of sub-issues here: Heat, did the fix work?, dealer attitudes, used oil analysis results, anecdotes from owners, 17/18/19 differences, et al.

This decision will wind up inhibiting discussion in the interest of placating Honda fan-boys who simply can’t just stay away from threads that may offend them. And just maybe, absent fuel dilution, there just isn’t a whole lot to discuss: this isn’t a Corvette forum.

Other forums certainly police things, but usually only to get posts into the right category or when there’s abusive language.
I fully agree. Controlling what people post will inhibit discussion to the detriment of this forum. A better choice would have been to warn and/or ban those who post offensive comments or bicker to no end. Closing threads punishes all, even those that follow proper decorum, and rewards those that cannot accept opinions different than their own. I hope this decision is reconsidered.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What are "associated matters"? I know what the dilution is all about as my car suffers from it. Just curious as to what falls under the generic category of associated matters that should be mentioned in the same thread.

·
Registered
468 Posts
😂 !
Even the new “ Why are all the threads locked?” Thread is locked. LOL!

Moderators are not acting moderately that’s for sure

·
Registered
395 Posts
What are "associated matters"? I know what the dilution is all about as my car suffers from it. Just curious as to what falls under the generic category of associated matters that should be mentioned in the same thread.
Take a look at this thread which was closed:
https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/137-2017-present-official-specs-features-etc-gen-5/194859-electrical-system-safety-features-brake-system-malfunction.html

The OP titled the thread: "Electrical system (safety features) and brake system malfunction" and included a long list of issues with his new CR-V. Oil Dilution was not listed anywhere but the last issue he included said "gas fume smell in cabin". Apparently that triggered the closing.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Take a look at this thread which was closed:
https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/137-2017-present-official-specs-features-etc-gen-5/194859-electrical-system-safety-features-brake-system-malfunction.html

The OP titled the thread: "Electrical system (safety features) and brake system malfunction" and included a long list of issues with his new CR-V. Oil Dilution was not listed anywhere but the last issue he included said "gas fume smell in cabin". Apparently that triggered the closing.
OK, well, that's just wrong. I would indeed like to know why that was locked, especially after just one reply.
Oh, and they should probably change the topic of this thread...

·
Registered
14 Posts
They even locked a brand new thread, with really good new info.. I guess they just do the locking and we do the "consolidating"?

Oil Test Results on 1.5l Engine - It's Not Just Fuel Dilution
I have not weighed in on the fuel dilution until now. there is more going on than just fuel dilution.

I have a 2018 CR-V EX and have had the oil professionally tested 3 times. Oil was tested by a top tier lab and interpreted by a top tier chemist.

Here is what the test results show.
1. This is NOT just a cold weather issue. I drove 2,000 miles on a trip over a period of 4 days and had that sampled. It was hot, about 85-95F with no short trips. The engine had severe fuel dilution. Honda, this is NOT a cold weather issue.

2. The last oil was in the engine for 5,000 miles and there was pretty high iron wear and aluminum wear. The question that raises is whether the engine can make it to 100,000 miles. I took the vehicle in and Honda applied the fix and changed the oil. They also educated me that fuel dilution is "normal". My last 4 Hondas have had fuel dilution, but in the 2% range, which was concerning. Guess what the CR-V has? almost 9%!!! It is severe. Call 2% normal, not 9%.

3. But, something else showed up in the lab results. Water. The amount was so high that the lab re-ran the results. Over 1300 ppm. No, it's not coolant. It's water. So, there is not only fuel, but water in the oil.

4. If you want to know what's going on in your engine, consider getting the oil tested. Can't say that the facts impressed Honda, but the facts help me understand and not believe the propaganda.

Some of you are wondering why the fuel dilution is happening. It is a function of direct injection (DI) and variable valve timing (VVT). It's actually been a problem for years across many manufacturers.
If you look, almost every manufacturer is employing both technologies. What is happening in the Honda engines is they are overfueling on cold starts. Lots of fuel is pouring into the cylinders.

My plan is to sample again after several thousand miles and find out if the fix did anything at all. I don't think it will. Question is whether to sell. Or just drive it knowing it is not going to last. We are a Honda family, having owned many Hondas over a 40 year period. If Honda doesn't stand behind their product, that's the end.

·
Registered
184 Posts
A question for you owners who have already gotten the TSB 18-1x4 fixed.
How do you/we know it gets fixed really?
The reason I am asking is I dropped off my V at 9 this morning and recently picked it up right before noon.
When I arrived for pick up, they actually showed me what they did. Looked at the paper, I asked them if they did change out the oil. The answer was yes.
So I was off to go back to work. On the way, I check the oil life and it is 20%. I called the dealer back and asked them again, they insisted "yes, oil was changed"
OK, so I believe them.
When I arrived at work, I decided to check the oil.
Well, a. it is still dark brown like I checked a week ago. b. the level is way OVER the upper dot on the orange tip, in fact it is about 1/4" onto the metal rod.
Maybe I should let the car sit for much longer? I was driving about 10' from the dealer to my work. I will check it again tonight.
Another thing, they indicated a "software" was updated. What is it?
I checked the System version
Applications: Ver.1.193.05
If it is the one then it isn't got updated.
Ver.1.193.05 is the version that I got when I bought my V in 2017.
Am I looking at a wrong one?

I just want to be sure they do something to it rather than just keep my V in their garage for a couple of hours then call me to pick up w/o doing anything.

·
Registered
101 Posts
One would have hoped that, if the fuel dilution issues were in any way associated with the PCV system (bad design, bad batch of parts, etc.), Honda would have recognized this early on and made modifications for future production and issued a TSB for existing models.

Unless PCV mods are so extensive they require major engine redesign (unlikely), the fact that Honda has not included this system in the TSB sure is strong evidence to me that this isn’t the problem.

Dan15, I agree with you concerning Honda engineers and the PVC system.

I'm not here to bash Honda or my CR-V. I was just wondering out loud since my mind could not get a grip on how the turbo charged car can have a solid vacuum for the PVC system. I could not find anything on the boards, yes I suck at searches and I know it. So I'm looking to see if I can find something to mitigate the problem to a manageable level, I don't want to have to change oil every 2000 miles which for me would be every three weeks.

So I hope I get information on the system so I understand it and can maintain it. Or possibly modify it if there is something that might help increase flow of contaminated gasses from the crankcase. I know it may void my warranty if I do. But like I said I want to keep the CR-V and it reliability as high as possible with maintenance as low as practicable.

·
Registered
395 Posts
The reason I am asking is I dropped off my V at 9 this morning and recently picked it up right before noon.
When I arrived for pick up, they actually showed me what they did. Looked at the paper, I asked them if they did change out the oil. The answer was yes.
So I was off to go back to work. On the way, I check the oil life and it is 20%. I called the dealer back and asked them again, they insisted "yes, oil was changed"
OK, so I believe them.
Well, a. it is still dark brown like I checked a week ago. b. the level is way OVER the upper dot on the orange tip, in fact it is about 1/4" onto the metal rod.
Maybe I should let the car sit for much longer? I was driving about 10' from the dealer to my work. I will check it again tonight.

I just want to be sure they do something to it rather than just keep my V in their garage for a couple of hours then call me to pick up w/o doing anything.
I think they merely drained and refilled and didn't change out the filter. My oil had dark streaks too right after I picked it up, which was surprising for brand new oil. And yes, they overfilled it! And oh yeah, I didn't have a cold Honda. Now I do.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Please look at this thread entitled: "1 yr anniversary with my 2018 CRV"
https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/137-2017-present-official-specs-features-etc-gen-5/194339-1-yr-anniversary-my-2018-crv.html
Post #4 specifically mentions Oil Dilution but that thread was not closed. Was it because it is "favorable" to Honda or did it fly under the radar? My point in mentioning this thread is that the new policy IMO is very difficult to enforce.

I understand the position of the moderators, they want to control bickering and rude posts, fair enough. So why not warn and if necessary ban the bickering/rude members instead of hammering others who are not offensive.

·
Registered
96 Posts
OK, so I believe them.

I had the same exact experience!!
My oil was black after they changed the oil (no filter as per Honda's policy).
And the MM was not reset. It remained at 40%.
I had severe doubts but assumed that people act in good faith.
Very fishy...

The software changed was in the ECM and TCU, and it wouldn't be reflected on the entertainment unit.

·
Registered
101 Posts
OK, so I believe them.

CFP8,

When I took mine in for the Mod they changed the oil and included the filter on mine, there service manager does not believe in changing oil without changing filter. The tech probably just forgot to reset you MM. But, it only took about an hour and a half and I thought the same as you did they just hold onto the car for a few hours and give it back. But when I checked my cars dash cam i can hear the tech installing software. the update did not help mine unfortunately, I hope it works on yours. Good luck.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thanks all for the feedback.
I guess I just have to trust them and believe it got fixed properly.

Also, thanks for the info about he software update.
I was looking at the wrong version then.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2018 CR-V with the 1.5L turbo and I live in Eastern Iowa. The oil rose a little by 3,000 miles and I changed it. I have not experienced a heat issue even when the temps dropped below zero. I just rolled over 6,000 miles and had the dilution recall work done. They replaced a climate control part and updated the computer. We drove 1.200 miles immediately after the recall work and the oil rose just enough to go beyond the orange plastic. I asked the local Honda mechanic if the level should be lowered when it rises above the plastic on the dipstick and he shrugged his shoulders meaning I don't really know. I'll wait til it rises a little more. I usually keep my vehicles 5-years before trading. We really like this CR-V. We added the heated steering wheel and it has been sooooo nice here in Iowa. It was -30F last night. I keep it garaged and the temperature inside the garage was 20F.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My 2018 CR-V with the 1.5L turbo and I live in Eastern Iowa. The oil rose a little by 3,000 miles and I changed it. I have not experienced a heat issue even when the temps dropped below zero. I just rolled over 6,000 miles and had the dilution recall work done. They replaced a climate control part and updated the computer. We drove 1.200 miles immediately after the recall work and the oil rose just enough to go beyond the orange plastic. I asked the local Honda mechanic if the level should be lowered when it rises above the plastic on the dipstick and he shrugged his shoulders meaning I don't really know. I'll wait til it rises a little more. I usually keep my vehicles 5-years before trading. We really like this CR-V. We added the heated steering wheel and it has been sooooo nice here in Iowa. It was -30F last night. I keep it garaged and the temperature inside the garage was 20F.
Keep yourself and your family warm, m8.
We got 0F this morning in north of Boston, it was dang cold but nothing compared to your area.
So stay warm stay safe.

21 - 40 of 2510 Posts