Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 80 of 2493 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Took my '18 to the dealer today to get my heat and oil dilution issue looked at. Here are their findings:

1. Oil dilution is absolutely normal for this engine. I was sent a youtube video from Honda as a solution. Thanks.
2. There is no heat issue in the car. The tech drove it after being left outside overnight at the dealer (It was -20C this morning in Montreal) and he was very happy with the heat. No issues.

Funny how I drove 30km home tonight and I was freezing. They had given me an Elantra as a loaner and I got heat 2 minutes after I left work. I remember those days.

Needless to say I am changing dealer, but that's a different story.

I was told to drive in "S" mode. I told him that it's a hack, and it invalidates Honda's fuel economy ratings as I am not obliged to drive it in sport mode. I got silence.

So … I am facing a brick wall. Not much else can be done here.

I have absolutely no doubt now that Honda will do zero to improve any of my issues.

So I have to do what is in my control, which is to probably ditch the vehicle. Ironically, the feeling of warm air blasting from my cabin vent on a really cold day was always something fun during the winter. I am happy there are satisfied owners down South. The grim reality is that this vehicle is not fully engineered for winter.

I empathize with those who are going through polar temperatures in the US. My heart goes out to them if they have to stay warm in this car.
Block heater.....dont want to say anymore or the Honda Fan boys will get this threat locked...PM me if you need proof

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Funniest thing

I saw NO LATEST GEN CRVS OUT THE LAST FEW DAYS. I live where it's been frigid cold (new record lows set of -32 over night wednesday). Vast majority of people couldnt even get their cars started. My Odyssey was simply saying "HELL NO". My 2003 CRV, using a non-honda brand OEM style block heater just laughed at the cold, was toasty warm.

Not sure why ppl are screaming censorship here, that's beyond rediculous. There is simply no need for 20 threads having the exact same conversations over and over making it impossible to find anything else easily.

Fact of the matter is, there is no censorship, if there was this thread wouldnt exist either. so please lay off the tin foil hats (I'm a big believer in constitutional rights and so on, see no violation here at all).

Yes it is a warranty matter but Honda is having issues sorting it out because its widespread but not happening on all vehicles. Some are fine, some are not. When dealerships refuse to put a tech that has half a clue wtf they are doing into detailing reports, engine data etc from effected and unaffected vehicles, Honda cant get the data needed to fix it.

Granted Honda is being asshats but not pushing harder to get this sorted but it's as much every dealership out there (and their all talk no skills technicians) in not finding the cause to come up with a solution.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
Funniest thing

I saw NO LATEST GEN CRVS OUT THE LAST FEW DAYS. I live where it's been frigid cold (new record lows set of -32 over night wednesday). Vast majority of people couldnt even get their cars started. My Odyssey was simply saying "HELL NO". My 2003 CRV, using a non-honda brand OEM style block heater just laughed at the cold, was toasty warm.

Not sure why ppl are screaming censorship here, that's beyond rediculous. There is simply no need for 20 threads having the exact same conversations over and over making it impossible to find anything else easily.

Fact of the matter is, there is no censorship, if there was this thread wouldnt exist either. so please lay off the tin foil hats (I'm a big believer in constitutional rights and so on, see no violation here at all).

Yes it is a warranty matter but Honda is having issues sorting it out because its widespread but not happening on all vehicles. Some are fine, some are not. When dealerships refuse to put a tech that has half a clue wtf they are doing into detailing reports, engine data etc from effected and unaffected vehicles, Honda cant get the data needed to fix it.

Granted Honda is being asshats but not pushing harder to get this sorted but it's as much every dealership out there (and their all talk no skills technicians) in not finding the cause to come up with a solution.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
One would think that Honda Corporate has their hands on several several of these problematic CR-Vs and ripped them apart to find the problem already. If they don't know the problem already (after 2 years of reports) then they shouldn't be in the business of selling cars. It is clear to me that:

1) They know exactly what the problem is.
2) They know exactly how to fix it properly.
3) It's not worth the time, effort and cost to fix every CR-V whose owner is complaining about these issues.
4) They have come to a cost-based conclusion that they are going to take their chances and hope that the cost of repairing any failed engines under warranty in the future will be less than fixing everyone's CR-V now. After our warranties are done, it becomes our problem.

In the meantime they treat their customers like trash, oblivious to the fact that this will come back to haunt them for a generation.

·
Registered
395 Posts
There are plenty of uncensored forums to air grievances....
The thing to remember is that it seems American Honda was going to do nothing about the Heat, Oil Dilution Problems until CR released their initial story on October 5, 2108. All of a sudden less than 3 weeks later they released their TSB 18-114 and TSB 18-124 fixes. Fixes that may or may not have a positive effect on the problems and may be nothing more than placebos.
Great summary, thank you. I joined this forum because my Google News feed included the CR Honda Oil Dilution article. I started reading posts here in Oct and joined in Nov when I started to post.

I agree that American Honda would have done little or nothing unless pressured by the press. Their "fix" is simply an attempt to quelch the issue as a proper fix is likely much more expensive. This could backfire however, time will tell. If they are unable to "quelch" Honda will pay the price years down the road. Some customers are paying the price now, enduring cold cars with oil dilution or trading them in at a large discount (other car dealers are well aware of Honda's problem and are now using the OD issue to low ball trade-in values).

FWIW I followed the post history of one Canadian on one of the uncensored forums just out of curiosity. He bought a 2017 EX-L early on, engine broke down (he did not know about OD then), dealer replaced engine, took 2 months, customer drove an Enterprise lousy loaner, new engine had oil dilution and no heat, filed a complaint with CAMVAP who ordered Honda to fix it or buy car back, gave Honda until Oct 31, a week before Honda applied the "fix" thus delaying the buy back, "fix" was of no help, further complaint to CAMVAP, a Honda engineer came from Canadian HDQs and swapped cars with the customer in order to test it for two weeks. CAMVAP scheduled their "final" meeting in Nov and then.... the customer after months of prolific posting on that website went silent, i.e., Honda Canada bought the car back and made him sign an NDA. He has not posted one word since! One way to quelsh the issue, yes NDAs are standard policy on such issues. The customer endured a lot of hassle while making payments on a CR-V he hardly drove.

·
Registered
395 Posts
One would think that Honda Corporate has their hands on several several of these problematic CR-Vs and ripped them apart to find the problem already. If they don't know the problem already (after 2 years of reports) then they shouldn't be in the business of selling cars. It is clear to me that:

1) They know exectly what the problem is.
2) They know exactly how to fix it properly.
3) It's not worth the time, effort and cost to fix every CR-V whose owner is complaining about these issues.
4) They have come to a cost-based conclusion that they are going to take their chances and hope that the cost of repairing any failed engines under warranty in the future will be less than fixing everyone's CR-V now. After our warranties are done, it becomes our problem.

In the meantime they treat their customers like trash, oblivious to the fact that this will come back to haunt them for a generation.
Hi Mike. That is exactly right (with one exception which I bolded above for fun). You hit the nail on the head, a proper fix will take substantial engine modifications which we will see in future CR-Vs, perhaps 2020 but likely 2022. Honda has bet their reputation that they can quelsh the issue for now, not a solid bet IMO.

From another forum I follow, as simple as can be stated: "We have one. Nice car, Bad motor, and Honda just ignores you."

·
Registered
395 Posts
Funniest thing I saw NO LATEST GEN CRVS OUT THE LAST FEW DAYS....
Here is why (from another forum): -17 below Farenheit right now. I cancelled an appointment because I would be frozen by the time I got there. Great job, Honda !!!

You are lucky you have a 2003. My wife's 2010 heats up great as well. My 2018 not so much but I live in TX and don't need much heat.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Due to the volume of complaints about the volume of "OD" threads, a decision has been made to only allow one thread for all discussion about this issue as some say or alleged issue as others say.

Existing threads will be closed you can put your comments here. Any new threads opened will be closed or consolidated into this thread.

In accordance with existing practice as some have discovered, posting privileges can be withheld for any poster who fails to uphold community standards of civility and respect.

The Moderating Team.
Thanks for doing this.
Ditto from me

·
Registered
2 Posts
our crv has this issue, been dealing with honda canada and our local dealer since we bought our 2017 almost 2 years ago, oil changes every 2-3 months.just over a 2 months ago the did the "fix" and sad to say problem is still exactly the same . This crv is the biggest piece of crap we have ever owned , honda canada has done nothing , doesn't even return our calls .We have called numerous times and they keep saying they will call us back and don't.The local dealer has been great but really is stuck in the middle. Our car gets so bad that we can smell raw fuel inside the car , heater on or off.This car is such a disappointment !!!! i have opened honda quads, lawn mover , generators and have always thought of what a great product. Convinced my wife to trade her ford edge in on this car and have regretted it since almost day 1.. This damn car is putting my marriage on the stress level!!! Since we have bought it , we have this re-occouring gas smell.The shifter button fell out and shot across the car , wife couldn't get it into park.Luckily dealer was open , she drove there and called the service manager from the parking lot. The auto hi beams have a mind of their own , work when they want to and will come on even if we have them turned off.Sometimes the car won't start with the push button, Sometimes the doors don't auto lock.The brake squeal!!! only has 27,000 km's on it.The heater howls at the defrost setting.It sucks in cold weather to warm up. We were first told that we drive it too many short drives. We live in a small community of maybe 10,000 people , takes no time to get anywhere, In 30 years of driving i have never had this small town issue with any vehicle i have owned,So i stared driving it to work and wife drives my 07 dodge 1500 instead,i put on 150 kms a day of highway driving, guess what it still does it Honda !!!! i Hope someone from Honda is reading this post .You have sold me a 2017 Honda Crv Touring that is a full load piece of crap. I apologize to everyone here for my poor punctuation but i am beyond pissed at this point.. I am about to drive this car through the god damn doors at honda and leave it there!!

·
Registered
395 Posts
our crv has this issue, been dealing with honda canada and our local dealer since we bought our 2017 almost 2 years ago, oil changes every 2-3 months.just over a 2 months ago the did the "fix" and sad to say problem is still exactly the same . This crv is the biggest piece of crap we have ever owned , honda canada has done nothing , doesn't even return our calls .We have called numerous times and they keep saying they will call us back and don't.The local dealer has been great but really is stuck in the middle. Our car gets so bad that we can smell raw fuel inside the car , heater on or off.This car is such a disappointment !!!! i have opened honda quads, lawn mover , generators and have always thought of what a great product. Convinced my wife to trade her ford edge in on this car and have regretted it since almost day 1.. This damn car is putting my marriage on the stress level!!! Since we have bought it , we have this re-occouring gas smell.The shifter button fell out and shot across the car , wife couldn't get it into park.Luckily dealer was open , she drove there and called the service manager from the parking lot. The auto hi beams have a mind of their own , work when they want to and will come on even if we have them turned off.Sometimes the car won't start with the push button, Sometimes the doors don't auto lock.The brake squeal!!! only has 27,000 km's on it.The heater howls at the defrost setting.It sucks in cold weather to warm up. We were first told that we drive it too many short drives. We live in a small community of maybe 10,000 people , takes no time to get anywhere, In 30 years of driving i have never had this small town issue with any vehicle i have owned,So i stared driving it to work and wife drives my 07 dodge 1500 instead,i put on 150 kms a day of highway driving, guess what it still does it Honda !!!! i Hope someone from Honda is reading this post .You have sold me a 2017 Honda Crv Touring that is a full load piece of crap. I apologize to everyone here for my poor punctuation but i am beyond pissed at this point.. I am about to drive this car through the god damn doors at honda and leave it there!!
Have you considered filling a claim through CAMVAP? Various Canadians on the Facebook 5th Gen group have done so. Not easy however, it takes a lot of work, months and months of back and forth, may be easier to just sell it. I have owned 6 Honda/Acura cars and I have seen nothing like this fiasco with poor heat and oil dilution. This engine will be redesigned in the near future but those stuck with it will not benefit. Honda's profits were down 40% last year and they mentioned CR-V warranty repairs as an excuse and also year end incentives to move the remaining 2018 stock which was not selling. The Honda cheerleaders bragged about the increased sales in December but they came at the expense of incentives. The year to year sales figure was flat. No incentives were needed in 2017 prior to OD and Heat being an issue.

·
Registered
395 Posts
From another site (Edmunds). This is sad and Honda has been of no help. What happened to the days of good customer support?

"I purchase my new 2018 Honda CR-V in November 2018, not realizing the apparent issues inherent with the vehicle’s engine. Surely had I known at the time I would not have purchased the car. Since December, learning of matters, I have been plugged into various sites and blogs regarding the issues on pretty much a daily basis.

My drive to work is approximated 18 miles one way. Today on the travel, with the outside temperature reading 21 degrees on the car’s display, I noticed, for lack of heat, that it took the car about 8 miles to reach normal operating temperature, which is about half way on the gauge. At about 10 miles, a strong odor of gasoline filled the cockpit of the car. Looking down at the temperature gauge, it had fallen to the quarter mark. I consider driving down the road at 40mph and having the car fill will such a strong smell of gasoline a safety hazard and immediately found a spot to pull over, turned off the car, got out, opened the doors to air it out and looked under the hood where the odor remained. The drive is constant and in the country, so there is no reason for the gasoline odor or for the operating temperature drop except for the car itself.

I am extremely disappointed and concerned since this seems to be one of the symptoms plaguing the car potentially leading to additional serious issues. I have just over 3000 miles on the car and purchased it because I plan on retiring soon and need dependable transportation when on a fixed income. The only thing that I’ve learned from Honda is an excuse, that it is a cold climate issue and will be addressed in those areas. I live in South Carolina where 21 degrees in the winter is not uncommon and hardly considered a cold weather climate.

I demand to know the root cause for the obvious issues with the car and a fix for the long term. Otherwise I want the vehicle replaced with another that doesn’t have an engine associated with these problems or my hard earned money refunded, so that I can look for a vehicle elsewhere."

·
Registered
46 Posts
Why are they posting that on Edmunds? Shouldn't they be talking to their dealer or Honda directly (or maybe their lawyer)?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I find it interesting that some of the same people who were complaining about the multiple OD threads being opened and who were the first to thank Rocky for closing them all but this one are still trafficking and posting in the same thread they complained about. Odd very odd....

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought my 2018 touring back in December, I have no smell of gas in the cabin but the oil level is above the high level mark on the stick. I have 500 miles on the vehicle but the oil has a slight gas smell and the oil is a greenish color, after only 500 miles shouldn't the oil still be honey color? I love my Crv and this is my third since 2000, I'm willing to wait for a fix. How can I get Honda to pay for my oil changes until then?

Thanks,
Chuck

·
Registered
395 Posts
I find it interesting that some of the same people who were complaining about the multiple OD threads being opened and who were the first to thank Rocky for closing them all but this one are still trafficking and posting in the same thread they complained about. Odd very odd....
Yes, very interesting. You know why of course...

·
Registered
395 Posts
A New "FIX"

Honda has apparently modified their so called "FIX". From Feb 1 onward Honda will not replace the HVAC units on any CR-V, they will do software updates only. Who knows if that will help or not, they have had over a year to figure this out and don't have it together yet. As some of you know, there were many who posted here (and elsewhere) stating that the "fix" made matters worse. Looks like they were right.

The picture below is from a forum that does not restrict posting. It was obtained from a dealership in Massachusetts. Sorry for the poor quality. Motor Trend should have tested their vehicles in Minnesota instead of Southern California.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Since this new fix is only a software reflash they should offer it to customers in all 50 states experiencing issues. Also is the fix also for 2019 models?

sv11

61 - 80 of 2493 Posts