Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oil Dilution Master Thread

757K views 3K replies 305 participants last post by  TheDarkKnight 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
2021 Update - OD is fixed. No further discussions permitted and is not up for debate.

#3 ·
This is unfortunate and very heavy handed. The best forums allow for freedom of topic as long as people aren't attacking one another in which case the offender is typically warned and if they don't heed the warning then they are banned. The reason there have been so many threads on the "banned topic" is that it effects everyone differently depending on driving habits, geographic location, configuration etc. hence the desire and need to open multipole topics on the "banned topic". The best part of the forum is now gone. I guess we can all take our happy pills and pretend that we are in Shangri-La.

#6 ·
My wife has a 18 CRV-L and after reading all the stuff on the net about this I checked the oil and the level was above the orange plastic by about 1/8 inch. Dealer did an oil change free and told me the vin was not covered under the TSB addressing the heat and oil dilution issue. I never had or have a heat problem. After reading and viewing many posts (with pictures) on the oil issue there is one thing that seems to stand out and that is that everyones "oil dilution" dip stick looks the same. Now how could that be?

#2,870 ·
If your wifes CRV has a 1.5lt. with turbo (not all have this engine) and its a 2018 it would be in the TSB from Honda, all 2018s with this engine are covered.
Not all people experience the oil dilution or are not aware of it ( most people don't check there oil ).
I have a 2018 that I never noticed a problem with until now (20,000 miles), just check the oil and it probably has at least two quarts of gasoline in the crankcase, very disappointed.

#7 ·
I got around to reading this thread after I brought my Poll to the forefront. I agree that there were way too many threads on The Problem, however restricting them to one thread doesn't make it that much easier to find the actual results of The Fix.
Since you are taking this approach would it be possible to incorporate a Poll into whatever thread you deem appropriate.
I believe my Poll:
https://www.crvownersclub.com/forum...l-dilution-software-update-actually-have.html
covers most possibilities.

#8 ·
How is consolidating the OD discussion into one thread going to make it easier to read for people who don't frequent this site that often? I would rather read the titles of the threads and decide to dive in or to skip over. If the OD issue is having so much activity, having 1 thread could result into a lot of pages and frankly I don't want to read through a thread with hundreds of pages. Good intention but bad side effect IMO.

#9 ·
Due to the volume of complaints about the volume of "OD" threads, a decision has been made to only allow one thread for all discussion about this issue as some say or alleged issue as others say.

Existing threads will be closed you can put your comments here. Any new threads opened will be closed or consolidated into this thread.

In accordance with existing practice as some have discovered, posting privileges can be withheld for any poster who fails to uphold community standards of civility and respect.

The Moderating Team.
Thank you Rocky but why not just a "Issues" sub forum instead of just a single thread?

#12 ·
I am one of the my people that may have an Oil dilution problem. To explain that comment mine is nowhere close to what some of the member describe here and my dealership starting a case with Honda now. Which according to the service manager is the first case they have seen in eastern North Carolina.:confused2:

Not being an Automotive engineer and only a "shade tree" mechanic. I was wondering if any of the members have had there PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system checked by Honda? All the informative information from Honda is saying that the gas is not evaporating/burning off from the oil reservoir/oil pan, it would be that system that carried the vapors away. With a turbo charged engine I would think the PCV system would be weak because of the turbo pressure in the manifold. All the PVC systems that I have seen operate using vacuum from the intake manifold. As I said I'm not a automotive engineer and maybe some here knows how it works different on the turbo engines.

Yes, I plan on asking my dealer about the system when they call me back.

#3,339 ·
I am one of the my people that may have an Oil dilution problem. To explain that comment mine is nowhere close to what some of the member describe here and my dealership starting a case with Honda now. Which according to the service manager is the first case they have seen in eastern North Carolina.:confused2:

Not being an Automotive engineer and only a "shade tree" mechanic. I was wondering if any of the members have had there PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system checked by Honda? All the informative information from Honda is saying that the gas is not evaporating/burning off from the oil reservoir/oil pan, it would be that system that carried the vapors away. With a turbo charged engine I would think the PCV system would be weak because of the turbo pressure in the manifold. All the PVC systems that I have seen operate using vacuum from the intake manifold. As I said I'm not a automotive engineer and maybe some here knows how it works different on the turbo engines.

Yes, I plan on asking my dealer about the system when they call me back.
Good question. I would think that only the gasoline vapors would be drawn by the PCV system, leaving the liquid gasoline behind in the oil. I am guessing that the Honda engineers were looking at temperature & compression and forgot about other potential effects. A costly oversight, but it is worth it in the long run to have a recall to protect the brand. Toyota is waiting in the wings!!!

#14 ·
A single thread will be a mess. There are a lot of sub-issues here: Heat, did the fix work?, dealer attitudes, used oil analysis results, anecdotes from owners, 17/18/19 differences, et al.

This decision will wind up inhibiting discussion in the interest of placating Honda fan-boys who simply can’t just stay away from threads that may offend them. And just maybe, absent fuel dilution, there just isn’t a whole lot to discuss: this isn’t a Corvette forum.

Other forums certainly police things, but usually only to get posts into the right category or when there’s abusive language.

#22 ·
I fully agree. Controlling what people post will inhibit discussion to the detriment of this forum. A better choice would have been to warn and/or ban those who post offensive comments or bicker to no end. Closing threads punishes all, even those that follow proper decorum, and rewards those that cannot accept opinions different than their own. I hope this decision is reconsidered.

#15 ·
This is a bit simplistic but here goes. The PCV system on the 1.5 turbo is a bidirectional system consisting of two oil air separators. One for the intake manifold the other for the turbo charger. When the intake manifold pressure is below the pressure at the intake of the turbo. Air travels from the turbo intake via a crankcase breather tube into the crankcase, then to the intake manifold. Under turbo boost the air direction reverses. The oil air separators are built into the top engine cover. Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Compact car

#18 ·
This is a bit simplistic but here goes. The PCV system on the 1.5 turbo is a bidirectional system consisting of two oil air separators. One for the intake manifold the other for the turbo charger. When the intake manifold pressure is below the pressure at the intake of the turbo. Air travels from the turbo intake via a crankcase breather tube into the crankcase, then to the intake manifold. Under turbo boost the air direction reverses. The oil air separators are built into the top engine cover. View attachment 128063
Thank you Traylaw. It maybe simplistic but it makes perfect sense.

Reactions: Seniorita
#16 · (Edited)
Trying to put every post on this topic together is a really bad idea and as Dans15 said it just creates a mess for anyone trying to track what is going on. If you really want to create something useful then start a thread asking the club for suggestions on topics for an organized sub-set that would be truly useful in following each topic.

I want to follow the results of people who have had the fix. I know there is a poll but it is not being used. I counted at least 18 owners who have reported they are experiencing worse conditions, heat or oil, since having the fix. The poll doesn't list them because they were posting on a thread with a heading to let them tell their story.

I want to see factual numbers from people who have had an oil analysis.

I want to see a thread where people can toss out their ideas on why this engine is not living up to the normal Honda standards.

I want to see a thread that shares what dealers are telling owners who have this problem.

I could go on. My point is this topic needs to be organized into sub-sets that people can follow based upon their interest. That is the basic concept why each generation of CR-V's has their own category. Please reconsider doing the same with the OD topic which is spinning out of control and making so many of us question if we made a mistake buying the 1.5L turbo.

Thanks for listening.

#17 ·
Trying to put every post on this topic together is a really bad idea and as Dans15 said it just creates a mess for anyone trying to track what is going on. If you really want to create something useful then start a thread asking the club for suggestions on topics for an organized sub-set that would be truly useful in following each topic.

I want to follow the results of people who have had the fix. I know there is a poll but it is not being used. I counted at least 18 owners who have reported the are experiencing worse conditions, heat or oil, since having the fix. The poll doesn't list them because they were posting on a thread with a heading to let them tell their story.

I want to see factual numbers from people who have had oil analysis.

I want to see a thread where people can toss out their ideas on why this engine is not living up to the normal Honda standards.

I want to see a thread that shares what dealers are telling owners who have this problem.

I could go on. My point is this topic needs to be organized into sub-topics that people can follow based upon their interest. That is the basic concept why each generation of CR-V's has their own category. Please reconsider doing the same with the OD topic which is spinning out of control and making so many of us question if we made a mistake buying the 1.5L turbo.

Thanks for listening.
Being a member who has the oil dilution problem (initially and then went away and now might be back after the fix) and the new issue of no heat after the fix, I am interested in reading any and all members' posts on their issues to see if any new developments/progresses/issues were made. So that's the reason why I've been paying that much attention to this website, more than I should be. Why would I want to go here if Honda is as trouble free and as reliable as they said? The OD issue was what getting me to this site and stuck to this site. Beyond that, if it was a fun/performance car (read BMW/Corvette etc) site and not a Honda SUV, then I would visit for mods ideas. Who the heck would mod their utilitarian CRV?

#19 ·
Guys stop it with the "fanboy" comments already. Your just adding fuel to the fire.
I am certainly not a fanboy of any brand or company. Why would I be unless I am personally linked to them in some way.

We just need an Issues sub forum to discuss any issues people are having with their crv.
Or just break out into several sub forums.

1. Issues
2. Mods / Accessories
3. General

It's not rocket science guys.. geeze

#20 ·
Jst_Bcuz, in the photo of the engine cover, the yellow arrows are pointing to the oil air separator chambers. The separator for the turbo intake is the lower arrow, the intake manafold is the upper arrow. The gray tube at the upper right goes to the intake manafold. The little yellow thingy at the upper left is the PCV valve. The breather tube is not shown but attaches to the engine cover at the lower left. You can see this tube on your vehicle connected between the cover and the air intake duct just before the turbo.

#21 ·
One would have hoped that, if the fuel dilution issues were in any way associated with the PCV system (bad design, bad batch of parts, etc.), Honda would have recognized this early on and made modifications for future production and issued a TSB for existing models.

Unless PCV mods are so extensive they require major engine redesign (unlikely), the fact that Honda has not included this system in the TSB sure is strong evidence to me that this isn’t the problem.

#26 ·
Take a look at this thread which was closed:
https://www.crvownersclub.com/forum...safety-features-brake-system-malfunction.html

The OP titled the thread: "Electrical system (safety features) and brake system malfunction" and included a long list of issues with his new CR-V. Oil Dilution was not listed anywhere but the last issue he included said "gas fume smell in cabin". Apparently that triggered the closing.

#30 ·
They even locked a brand new thread, with really good new info.. I guess they just do the locking and we do the "consolidating"?

Oil Test Results on 1.5l Engine - It's Not Just Fuel Dilution
I have not weighed in on the fuel dilution until now. there is more going on than just fuel dilution.

I have a 2018 CR-V EX and have had the oil professionally tested 3 times. Oil was tested by a top tier lab and interpreted by a top tier chemist.

Here is what the test results show.
1. This is NOT just a cold weather issue. I drove 2,000 miles on a trip over a period of 4 days and had that sampled. It was hot, about 85-95F with no short trips. The engine had severe fuel dilution. Honda, this is NOT a cold weather issue.

2. The last oil was in the engine for 5,000 miles and there was pretty high iron wear and aluminum wear. The question that raises is whether the engine can make it to 100,000 miles. I took the vehicle in and Honda applied the fix and changed the oil. They also educated me that fuel dilution is "normal". My last 4 Hondas have had fuel dilution, but in the 2% range, which was concerning. Guess what the CR-V has? almost 9%!!! It is severe. Call 2% normal, not 9%.

3. But, something else showed up in the lab results. Water. The amount was so high that the lab re-ran the results. Over 1300 ppm. No, it's not coolant. It's water. So, there is not only fuel, but water in the oil.

4. If you want to know what's going on in your engine, consider getting the oil tested. Can't say that the facts impressed Honda, but the facts help me understand and not believe the propaganda.

Some of you are wondering why the fuel dilution is happening. It is a function of direct injection (DI) and variable valve timing (VVT). It's actually been a problem for years across many manufacturers.
If you look, almost every manufacturer is employing both technologies. What is happening in the Honda engines is they are overfueling on cold starts. Lots of fuel is pouring into the cylinders.

My plan is to sample again after several thousand miles and find out if the fix did anything at all. I don't think it will. Question is whether to sell. Or just drive it knowing it is not going to last. We are a Honda family, having owned many Hondas over a 40 year period. If Honda doesn't stand behind their product, that's the end.

#2,871 ·
They even locked a brand new thread, with really good new info.. I guess they just do the locking and we do the "consolidating"?

Oil Test Results on 1.5l Engine - It's Not Just Fuel Dilution
I have not weighed in on the fuel dilution until now. there is more going on than just fuel dilution.

I have a 2018 CR-V EX and have had the oil professionally tested 3 times. Oil was tested by a top tier lab and interpreted by a top tier chemist.

Here is what the test results show.
1. This is NOT just a cold weather issue. I drove 2,000 miles on a trip over a period of 4 days and had that sampled. It was hot, about 85-95F with no short trips. The engine had severe fuel dilution. Honda, this is NOT a cold weather issue.

2. The last oil was in the engine for 5,000 miles and there was pretty high iron wear and aluminum wear. The question that raises is whether the engine can make it to 100,000 miles. I took the vehicle in and Honda applied the fix and changed the oil. They also educated me that fuel dilution is "normal". My last 4 Hondas have had fuel dilution, but in the 2% range, which was concerning. Guess what the CR-V has? almost 9%!!! It is severe. Call 2% normal, not 9%.

3. But, something else showed up in the lab results. Water. The amount was so high that the lab re-ran the results. Over 1300 ppm. No, it's not coolant. It's water. So, there is not only fuel, but water in the oil.

4. If you want to know what's going on in your engine, consider getting the oil tested. Can't say that the facts impressed Honda, but the facts help me understand and not believe the propaganda.

Some of you are wondering why the fuel dilution is happening. It is a function of direct injection (DI) and variable valve timing (VVT). It's actually been a problem for years across many manufacturers.
If you look, almost every manufacturer is employing both technologies. What is happening in the Honda engines is they are overfueling on cold starts. Lots of fuel is pouring into the cylinders.

My plan is to sample again after several thousand miles and find out if the fix did anything at all. I don't think it will. Question is whether to sell. Or just drive it knowing it is not going to last. We are a Honda family, having owned many Hondas over a 40 year period. If Honda doesn't stand behind their product, that's the end.
I have a 2018 CRV with the 1.5 lt. turbo, after this fuel in the oil issue came up I thought I would ok, because we do not drive short trips and do not experience cold weather. Checked the oil last week and it appears there is at least two quarts of gasoline in the crankcase ( two inches over the full level). Very disappointed because I know Honda will not help.

#32 ·
A question for you owners who have already gotten the TSB 18-1x4 fixed.
How do you/we know it gets fixed really?
The reason I am asking is I dropped off my V at 9 this morning and recently picked it up right before noon.
When I arrived for pick up, they actually showed me what they did. Looked at the paper, I asked them if they did change out the oil. The answer was yes.
So I was off to go back to work. On the way, I check the oil life and it is 20%. I called the dealer back and asked them again, they insisted "yes, oil was changed"
OK, so I believe them.
When I arrived at work, I decided to check the oil.
Well, a. it is still dark brown like I checked a week ago. b. the level is way OVER the upper dot on the orange tip, in fact it is about 1/4" onto the metal rod.
Maybe I should let the car sit for much longer? I was driving about 10' from the dealer to my work. I will check it again tonight.
Another thing, they indicated a "software" was updated. What is it?
I checked the System version
Applications: Ver.1.193.05
If it is the one then it isn't got updated.
Ver.1.193.05 is the version that I got when I bought my V in 2017.
Am I looking at a wrong one?

I just want to be sure they do something to it rather than just keep my V in their garage for a couple of hours then call me to pick up w/o doing anything.

#35 ·
Please look at this thread entitled: "1 yr anniversary with my 2018 CRV"
https://www.crvownersclub.com/forum...en-5/194339-1-yr-anniversary-my-2018-crv.html
Post #4 specifically mentions Oil Dilution but that thread was not closed. Was it because it is "favorable" to Honda or did it fly under the radar? My point in mentioning this thread is that the new policy IMO is very difficult to enforce.

I understand the position of the moderators, they want to control bickering and rude posts, fair enough. So why not warn and if necessary ban the bickering/rude members instead of hammering others who are not offensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.