Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to make this my first post here knowing how upset people are with this issue.

I am considering the 2019 CR-V and I have been following the forums for a while. I tend to over analyze everything, so I am trying to get some sort of idea how widespread this issue is?

I am in the Chicago area so not as cold as many of you, but I still see people in this region posting about heat and oil dilution issues.

Is this a widespread issue that many people just don't realize they have or is it a very upset minority? I fully understand their displeasure in how this is being handled.

I know Honda certainly wont say how many are affected but is there any sort of data out there? Is it a crap shoot where you but one and get a good one and the next person gets a bad one?

Thank all,

Scott

·
Registered
574 Posts
I hate to make this my first post here knowing how upset people are with this issue.

I am considering the 2019 CR-V and I have been following the forums for a while. I tend to over analyze everything, so I am trying to get some sort of idea how widespread this issue is?

I am in the Chicago area so not as cold as many of you, but I still see people in this region posting about heat and oil dilution issues.

Is this a widespread issue that many people just don't realize they have or is it a very upset minority? I fully understand their displeasure in how this is being handled.

I know Honda certainly wont say how many are affected but is there any sort of data out there? Is it a crap shoot where you but one and get a good one and the next person gets a bad one?

Thank all,

Scott
You have asked the magic question and unfortunately no one knows. There are about 350,000 CRV's sold a year and maybe one percent are aware of the problem and no one knows about what percentage of the other 99% has the problem. Or what percent cares.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Firstly, as someone about to swap our 2 CR-Vs for 2019 RAV4s, I would advise against the 2019 CR-V. Now, if you can get a signed, iron-clad guarantee from the Dealer that it doesn’t have the issue (only takes about 400-500 miles to know) then why not.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Firstly, as someone about to swap our 2 CR-Vs for 2019 RAV4s, I would advise against the 2019 CR-V. Now, if you can get a signed, iron-clad guarantee from the Dealer that it doesn’t have the issue (only takes about 400-500 miles to know) then why not.
Based on what I have read here, sometimes the issue doesn't show up for thousands of miles. Does that make it clearer?

·
Registered
43 Posts
You could always lease a new CR-V.

- The residual value is calculated at the point you lease, so you will not be impacted should there be some event that rapidly decreases the value.
- If you like the CR-V, and it does not have any major issues, you can buy it out at the end of the lease.
- If you don't like the CR-V, or it has major issues, you just give it back.
- If a newer CR-V comes out with features you really want to have (maybe a hybrid model?), you can trade up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Don't take the chance! Too much risk for not enough reward. Traded our 2018 Touring in with 7K miles (3K after the fix, still with >5% oil dilution) for a 2018 Rav4.

In addition to oil dilution, direct injection engines are more prone to buildup from crankcase ventilation than port injection. (Another gentleman on this board will tell you that carbs are best, but even they're not immune, and I'm not sure that anyone sells cars that have carbs anymore). Refer to a recent post from BobInPA about direct injection and carbon buildup. Follow some of the links provided by thisaznboi88 (about 10 posts in). The 2018 Rav4 has port injection. The 2019 Rav4 has "dual" injection (port and direct). Look for a youtube video from savagegeese for more info, if you have the time or the interest.

Really liked our 2018 - VERY disappointed to have to deal with the oil dilution issue to begin with, and even MORE disappointed in how Honda did NOTHING to fix the issue. They did, however change their owners manual to state "Under certain driving conditions, it is normal for the engine oil level to rise above the upper mark." I'm sure that fixes everything - NOT!

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Don't take the chance! Too much risk for not enough reward. Traded our 2018 Touring in with 7K miles (3K after the fix, still with >5% oil dilution) for a 2018 Rav4.

In addition to oil dilution, direct injection engines are more prone to buildup from crankcase ventilation than port injection. (Another gentleman on this board will tell you that carbs are best, but even they're not immune, and I'm not sure that anyone sells cars that have carbs anymore). Refer to a recent post from BobInPA about direct injection and carbon buildup. Follow some of the links provided by thisaznboi88 (about 10 posts in). The 2018 Rav4 has port injection. The 2019 Rav4 has "dual" injection (port and direct). Look for a youtube video from savagegeese for more info, if you have the time or the interest.

Really liked our 2018 - VERY disappointed to have to deal with the oil dilution issue to begin with, and even MORE disappointed in how Honda did NOTHING to fix the issue. They did, however change their owners manual to state "Under certain driving conditions, it is normal for the engine oil level to rise above the upper mark." I'm sure that fixes everything - NOT!

Can you post a link to the post saying “carbs are best”?.....I can’t find it, but I’d like to read it and find out why carbs are best.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I love my 2018 EX-l...I have NO issues at all... the heat works every time I get in it whether the temps are in the single digits or higher. I live in NJ and it gets pretty cold here in winter. It rides smooth and quieter than my 2011 accord did. I do not have gas in the oil and because I am aware of the issue I check my oil with every fill up and the oil is always in the middle of the orange stick. MOST of us don't have oil dilution and love our crvs... I test drove a 2018 rav 4 and it was noisey and cramped... disliked it immensely.. then I tested the crv and it was love at first test drive. Over 700,000 crvs have been sold in the U.S. alone in the past two years... so yea... the people having the problem are in the minority. Good luck with whatever decision you make :)

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,066 Posts
The OP question was clear. Too many if you are ignoring the question and going elsewhere.
Stay on point please.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Just and FYI.... I was at my local Honda dealer last week getting an oil change. Long story short I met a guy who had a 2019 CR-V, built in November bought mid December with a lack of heat and oil dilution issue. He was not a happy camper since the sales people had told them the 2019's did not have the problem

·
Registered
164 Posts

Thank all,

Scott
Why buy a 1.5L when's there's a chance of an issue? Buy a crv with the 2.4? or buy a different car. You're informed enough to be on the forum researching.(many buyers are not informed) You have the info, use the info to make a logical decision and don't buy a 1.5L It's not complicated. And I love my 2014 CR-V and might buy another one in the fall. Just not a 1.5L

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
534 Posts
You could always lease a new CR-V.

- The residual value is calculated at the point you lease, so you will not be impacted should there be some event that rapidly decreases the value.
- If you like the CR-V, and it does not have any major issues, you can buy it out at the end of the lease.
- If you don't like the CR-V, or it has major issues, you just give it back.
- If a newer CR-V comes out with features you really want to have (maybe a hybrid model?), you can trade up.
for the hassle and worrying and having issues....knowing it the last vehicle I will ever buy....I wished I would have rented the exact one I wanted and if no issues ,i would have instructed wifey to buy it outright and end of rental,knowing you have a great SUV..the chance on long term damage it to great to gamble...JMO of course

·
Registered
274 Posts
No one knows how many are with issue since mostly are not checking the oil level.

They are saying only few are affected compared to units sold but these owners know their stuff and they were the ones who reported it.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
No one knows how many are with issue since mostly are not checking the oil level.

They are saying only few are affected compared to units sold but these owners know their stuff and they were the ones who reported it.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
My guess is it's more common then they are letting on, prob more of systematic design issue of the engine. If it was just a bad or faulty design on one part I'd think the "fix" would solve the issue, which it appears it's not. My .02

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.