Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Australia and have viewed many web site articles over the last 6 months in relation to the Oil dilution problem with the Honda 1.5L Turbo engine that caused so much frustration in USA /Canada and China 2016 - 2018
I am concerned that it is STILL a problem in 2019 model?
I have a 2019 Honda CRV LX , 34,400 Kms( 21,375 miles) since new from 15 March 2019 to 15 Oct 2020
At 30,000 Kms service, 10 Aug 2020 specifically mentioned to the Honda Dealer about the oil level being 1/4inch above the full mark on the oil dip stick and mentioned the problem diagnosed in the USA /Canada/China.
The dealer advised they would do an "oil consumption test"bring the vehicle back 1000kms after service.
They then did the 30,000 service which included new oil filter and 3.2 L of oil. Level at Full mark
I took the vehicle back on 28 Aug 20 as the oil stick was again above full mark by 1/4inch?
The dealer REMOVED 300ml of oil to bring level to full mark, but made no reference to oil dilution problem.
I checked the level today 15 Oct 20 and found level 3/8inch above full mark?
There has, to my knowledge, been no publicity/notices in Australia relating to oil dilution 2016 - 2019.

Can I receive suggestions of what course of action is open to me, as I believe there is a problem and ultimately if not rectified the engine system in my vehicle is going to develop major defects.

·
Super Moderator
2,185 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Bill! I see that you have been here a few months, but this is your first post. I moved your thread to the 5th Generation area. (Sorry, your title got changed inadvertently in the move) Perhaps you have read this...there is a "sticky thread" a the top of the section with thousands of posts about this issue. From all accounts, the issue has been corrected at the factory on all North American 2019 and later CR-Vs, unknown in regards to Australian CR-Vs...

Here is a ink to the sticky thread: Oil Dilution and associated matters Master thread

Reactions: marley

·
Super Moderator
1,531 Posts
I checked the level today 15 Oct 20 and found level 3/8inch above full mark?
If you see the quoted details below, it appears your oil level is within tolerance.

According to Honda: The oil level is not an issue with this engine until it is 31mm above the full mark (ie: 1.2 inches) and at that point the vehicle will being to push error code to the driver.
Gas direct injection will result in some fuel in the oil, and most manufacturers have designed for it as they all must overcome it.
I dont know where Aussie CR-V's are made? Is it Thailand or do you get them from Japan, as we do in the UK?

For assurance, UK CR-Vs have never had OD issues. Mines a 2019, no issue. I highly suspect yours is the same, especially if its a 2019 model, regardless of where its built - because Honda will have had over two years to implement the fix, which IS now fixed.

If you believe something is about to go wrong with your car, it should still be under warranty, so take it to your dealer. From your post, I think you are worrying unnecessarily in the absence of any actual proof of anything. If the car runs fine, then why are you worried?

Believing theres a problem and actually having a problem are two different things. And based on your post, you havent actually shown that you have a problem. 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
78 Posts
Yes I also found the oil was above the high mark when we got our car.

I did an oil change and only filled it to Low, but it is already working it's way back up.
I sent the oil in and they did find a lot of gas in the oil (>5%) but it seems to be normal for these engines.

The wear metals checked out fine, so my conclusion is that this engine doesn't seem to mind thin oil, there are already some 1.5T's above 200,000 miles and still going strong!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Try the software update. I had to fight for it, but after one year of my own leg work, I found a remote dealer to do it, no thanks to Honda Corp! It seems it worked. Cleaner oil, faster warm up, no rise after 350 miles, and less soot in the exhaust tips. You have to fight to get it if you are in a warm weather state like I am. Perseverance ends in results.

·
Registered
36 Posts
One more thing......my mileage dropped by 2 to 3 mpg's. But I know that is subjective due to variable driving conditions and temps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts