Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given all the oil concerns - I've decided to be extra safe and change my 2018 CRV EX-L's oil (but not the filter) when the maintenance minder indicates the oil is at 50% life. I'll then have the oil and filter changed (and the Maintenance Minder reset) when it hits 100%.

It hit that 50% point at 4,500 miles this week and today I tried the Schwaben 6.5 Liter Extractor I recently bought. Even though the CRV (or any Honda for that matter) was not listed on its "fit list" - another poster here said it had worked for him so I ordered one (https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben-parts/65-liter-fluid-extractor/011885sch01a/). I followed the suggestion of trimming the tip of the small tube to be angled but initially could not get it to go all the way down the dipstick tube. After about 20 seconds of twisting/pushing/frustration I was about to give up when suddenly it popped past whatever restriction was binding it up - and it slid all the way down. A couple of pumps on the extractor and the oil was quickly flowing out of the engine and into the extractor. It took maybe two minutes to pull all of the oil that the extractor could reach - which based on the extractor's markings appeared to be a bit over 4 quarts.

I then put in about 3.5 quarts of 0W-20 Oil (Castrol GTX MAGNATEC $21 for a 5qt bottle @ Amazon). The entire process - which was mess free - took about 15 minutes and will probably be faster next time now that I know the process.

So if there are others out there who want to change the oil in between Maintenance Minder changes - without the hassle/mess of changing the filter or crawling under the car - I can vouch that using an extractor (at least the one I used) does indeed work and makes it VERY EASY!

I took a couple pictures of the extractor in use. Not sure I can post them here - but will try.
Oil Chg 2_14_19 @ 4500miles.jpg
Oil Chg 2_14_19 @ 4500miles 2.jpg

·
Registered
60 Posts
That is the extractor I used. That is the volume of fluid I extracted after 2,000 miles. The maintenance minder indicated 80%, but my oil analysis indicated that it was diluted to a critical level. I will not go past 2,000 miles, most likely 1,000 miles. I used the extension tubing with the smallest diameter. It was slightly difficult to insert all the way. I determined that if I inserted the tube into the dip-stick hole so the curvature of the tubing bent toward the front of the car, it slipped past whatever was restricting the tube from going down. I used Mobile One that was on sale at Costco. Other than a little difficulty threading the tube, it was very quick and easy. I'll let the dealer change the oil filter every 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Wow that's a lot of oil!

Can you tell us where it was at on the dipstick prior to changing it? Also do you have a before and after picture of the part that you trimmed? I might look to buy one of this to keep the OD monster under control. I also think the pictures of each oil extraction will be worth a thousand words if need to work with Honda on a warranty claim.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I extracted after 2,000 miles. The maintenance minder indicated 80%, but my oil analysis indicated that it was diluted to a critical level. I will not go past 2,000 miles, most likely 1,000 miles.
I understand your desire to change it more frequently but I honestly can't see myself doing it that frequently. It already irks me that I feel the need to change it even once between MM indicated changes - after all this is a brand new car! Very frustrating that my 14 year old Volvo requires less attention than a brand new CRV!

I have the max Honda Care warranty and have resigned myself to the idea that this engine could be trashed and the car nearly worthless when the Honda Care warranty expires in 8 years/120K miles. If that turns out to be true - this will be our last Honda. I really hope that does NOT happen.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Wow that's a lot of oil!

Can you tell us where it was at on the dipstick prior to changing it? Also do you have a before and after picture of the part that you trimmed? I might look to buy one of this to keep the OD monster under control. I also think the pictures of each oil extraction will be worth a thousand words if need to work with Honda on a warranty claim.
The oil level seemed to be just a hair over the orange plastic piece. I say "appeared" because it was sometimes hard to tell so yesterday I spent $15 and bought a second OEM dipstick from the dealer and removed the orange plastic piece (burned it crispy using a propane torch and then it crumbled off with pliers). After the orange plastic piece is removed there is a stamped hole in the dipstick that appears to be about at the high level mark - so that will be my reference mark when checking the oil level. By the way, I will be sure to put the original dipstick with orange plastic piece back in before taking it to the dealer for anything - lest they think the orange piece broke off into the oil and want to remove the pan or void my warranty due to "tampering". :)

The company I bought the extractor from mistakenly shipped an extra set of tubes - and told me to keep them when I told them of the mistake. So I was able to take a picture of both the trimmed tube and untrimmed tube (picture attached). I might further trim the tube (i.e. make it even more beveled) next time to see if that makes it easier to get past the apparent dipstick tube restriction.

I will take pictures each time I extract oil so if any problems arise with premature engine wear I'll have proof that I went above and beyond the call. Not that it will matter - as long as I have records that oil changes were made when the Maintenance Minder indicated I should be good from a warranty perspective.
20190215_081738.jpg

·
Registered
86 Posts
as Zip1 noted, those holes are not the positions of the high and low level marks on the original dipstick. i marked mine with a screw before breaking off the plastic. (in the image below, i've marked across the high and low lines and also further up the stick, you can see where the top of the orange is which i have scribed with an "arch" to match the plastic.)

Question for you oil extractors: how confident are you that you can remove all the oil entirely using the device (ie, and not have any left in the crankcase at the bottom)?

IMG_8017.jpg

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
as Zip1 noted, those holes are not the positions of the high and low level marks on the original dipstick. i marked mine with a screw before breaking off the plastic. (in the image below, i've marked across the high and low lines and also further up the stick, you can see where the top of the orange is which i have scribed with an "arch" to match the plastic.)

Question for you oil extractors: how confident are you that you can remove all the oil entirely using the device (ie, and not have any left in the crankcase at the bottom)?

View attachment 128373
I do need to mark my dipstick (now that I've removed the orange plastic) but it appears that the full mark is about midway between the large oval hole and the small round hole.

I personally don't need to worry about whether the oil extractor gets absolutely all of the oil because I'm only using it between Maintenance Minder dictated oil changes - and those oil changes will be done via the drain plug. With that said, I have read that at least one CRV owner used an extractor and then removed the drain plug to double check and found little or no oil remaining in the pan. That sounds promising but personally unless a car is specifically designed to have oil changes done via an oil extractor (which would likely mean the dipstick tube was designed to access every drop of oil) - I'd be hesitant to do all my oil changes via the extractor.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah it looks like you could cut it at a sharper angle and have better luck.
My only concern about angling the tip more is that doing so may keep the extractor from sucking out every possible drop of oil - since it'll start sucking air as soon as the tip is not fully submerged in oil. But it may not be enough difference to matter.

·
Registered
60 Posts

View attachment 128373
Very confident. When I remove 4.3 quarts, then add 3.3 and the oil level is at the full line, I've done my job. By the way, between oil changes at the dealer at 5,000 miles, I don't change the filter. There will be some contaminated oil in the filter. The new oil should handle the dilution for the next 1,000 or 2,000 miles. I plan to put a quart of 0w-30 in it to maintain the viscosity.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Calico - Are you extracting the oil 'hot' or 'cold'?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks dbier for the posts - good stuff. I knocked the silly orange thing off as well and scored it with Dremel. My oil level is closer to 1/1/8" above the high mark. I wonder how much oil I would suck out if I used that extraction tool. Crazy!!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks dbier for the posts - good stuff. I knocked the silly orange thing off as well and scored it with Dremel. My oil level is closer to 1/1/8" above the high mark. I wonder how much oil I would suck out if I used that extraction tool. Crazy!!!
WOW! 1-1/8" above the full mark?! It would be very interesting to know how much oil is in there to cause that dipstick level. If you get an extractor make sure it's one that has quantity markings on the tank - mine has ridges designating each quart.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very confident. When I remove 4.3 quarts, then add 3.3 and the oil level is at the full line, I've done my job. By the way, between oil changes at the dealer at 5,000 miles, I don't change the filter. There will be some contaminated oil in the filter. The new oil should handle the dilution for the next 1,000 or 2,000 miles. I plan to put a quart of 0w-30 in it to maintain the viscosity.
I still have my removed oil in the extractor tank and am wondering if I should have it analyzed. However, since:

1) Neither I nor Honda can apparanty fix the potential issue,
2) I'm already planing to replace the oil at mid (Maintenance Minder) intervals;
3) I have an extended warranty

I'm thinking maybe some level of ignorance is bliss. :(

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,668 Posts
I still have my removed oil in the extractor tank and am wondering if I should have it analyzed. However, since:

1) Neither I nor Honda can apparanty fix the potential issue,
2) I'm already planing to replace the oil at mid (Maintenance Minder) intervals;
3) I have an extended warranty

I'm thinking maybe some level of ignorance is bliss. :(
If you are thinking ignorance is bliss, why not just change the oil at the MM intervals, as you have the Extended Warranty? There is at least one other member here who is taking this approach, IIRC. Didn't Honda say that increased oil levels are normal for this engine and will not cause any harm (or in so many words?)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts