Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi have got to change oil filter on my crv just wondered if any one could tell me what size socket to get the plastic cap is fourteen flute regards

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi, Is this definitely the correct size 1/2 x 65mm , as I have tried eBay, and have had conflicting sizes quoted for a 08 ctdi i.e. 3/8 x 70-74mm. Please confirm ?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hi, Is this definitely the correct size 1/2 x 65mm , as I have tried eBay, and have had conflicting sizes quoted for a 08 ctdi i.e. 3/8 x 70-74mm. Please confirm ?
Hiya,

The 3/8 or 1/2 equates to the drive tool used, e.g 1/2 rachet.

The 65mm refers to the distance across the flats, thus you messure from one flat to the other and this gives you the size of the removal tool.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I appreciate that the 1/2 and 3/8 indicate the drive on the socket, but if you don't know the distance across flats on the filter because you haven't seen it. Your just relying on the eBay shop supplying the correct removal tool. My problem is.......when using the eBay search engine and giving all data i.e. ( CRV cdti 2008 oil filter removal tool ) different sizes are shown from different suppliers the 1/2 and 3/8 I can live with as I own both size wrench's, its the CORRECT filter size I can't seem to find. Hope this explanation makes sense.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes 13CRVEXLKC, I think that this could be another option if I cannot find the correct measurement for the oil filter removal tool on a 2008 CRV cdti.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I think you're seeing the size difference listed on ebay because Honda changed the size of the filters some time back. I can remember getting filters that were larger in diameter when I first changed the oil on our '80 Accord hatchback.
Now days I believe all Honda's use the same size filter (at least the gas powered models in the US of A) and it would be the smaller size listed.
Could be wrong on all this, but that's what my old, aged memory banks are remembering.

By the way, I use a strap wrench most of the time too.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hi Hostahousey, here in the U.S. we dont have the cdti, so I am not sure about that, but I believe starting in 2007 the gas engine oil filter is in the upright position so that a cap type wrench is the way to go. Someone with a 2007-2011 can correct me if that is not the case.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hi all,

I think some of our American cousins are getting mixed up with the petrol (gas) engine oil filtter with has had several design size changes over the years. However the question being asked relates to the UK / EEC diesel fillter cap as shown in the picture below.

Happy CR-Ving

Kev

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Kev,
You have got me really mixed now . I was under the impression the 2008 CRV cdti was fitted with the metal throw away canister filter, but your diagram shows the paper element type. It looks like I will have to bite the bullet ,jack her up and remove the under engine cover and check which one is fitted. I was being a little lazy as I didn't want to remove the cover to refit again, then remove to do the actual oil change and refit all.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hey Hostahousey, if your crv has the filter like the picture Kev sent then it will be on top of the engine, no need to look under the car.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hiya Hostahousey,

Been out this afternoon and taken the photo below showing the cap. (It's the big black one)

BTW I have never seen metal throw away canister filter on a diesel CRV engine for your year reg - However I cannot speak for the very early ones (pre 2006 / 7 ) so if you have any doubts you need to check your VIN (chassis number) with local Honda distributor.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts