Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my first oil change done on the 18 CRV EX by my local garage at 7000 miles. My Maintenance Minder indicated it was due. When I got the receipt, I noticed that the oil filter was not changed. My mechanic told me that the Honda maintenance minder code called for an "A" oil change only. There is a different "B" code that states to change oil and filter. I checked the owners manual, and, he is right that there are 2 different codes. To say this was a surprise is an understatement. My logic tells me that why do an oil change without replacing a filter that only costs a few bucks.

Any insights into what Honda logic is with respect to replacing the oil filter?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Any insights into what Honda logic is with respect to replacing the oil filter?
I believe most manufacturers recommend a filter change every other oil change.
I also believe it has to due with being politically/environmentally correct.

You can (must?) request the filter change at any time. I change it at every oil change.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I've had several cars that recommended changing the oil filter every other oil change (and a Burgman 650 Maxi-Scooter that recommends every 3rd oil change). Most of the cars that recommended every other oil change were GM products. I have always changed the filter at every oil change because I don't want to leave a filter full of dirty oil in the engine.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
the maintnenance is all you, not the Dealer. each MM is different so you can throw out the MM telling you oil needs replacing....

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Change the oil and change the oil filter. It's not worth saving a few bucks and then run clean oil through an already used oil filter.

I change it myself and find the 5th generation CR-V is easy to change the oil and filter. The Drain plug and Oil Filter are easily accessible. The metal shield below the engine takes a moment to remove. I have the satisfaction of knowing the job is done right. Also the cabin filter and engine air filter are easy too.

Changing my oil and doing light maintenance on my vehicles since 1965.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Not all have that freedom to change oil at their community. the property owners may not permit even washing a car. So yes it can be quite easy for some to say so , do so, but some just do not have those places that allow so....

·
Everything in Moderation
8,064 Posts
Filter life has been brought up before, and over on BobIsTheOilGuy.com. :temptation:

Owners have reported that the filters work fine even after 20K + miles. (They have cut open high-mileage filters to prove it, too.)

That said, SOME say that it is because Honda OEM filters don't have as much filtering efficiency as some high-end aftermarket filters.:Darn: (Are you listening, @Buffalo4?)

Just for the record, I ALWAYS change my filter at an oil change. Old habits die hard. And OEM filters are inexpensive when purchased 6 at a time, from the online dealers.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Even if you decide to follow the MM regiment strictly, I'd still swap out the filter for the first oil change to get some of the break in contaminants out of the system. You can still change the filter with slight oil loss if you don't want to take it back to the shop.

And if you can't do it at your own place - we have a very full parking space at hour house - see if you can take it over to a friend or relative's house for an hour or so. I've also been looking at rental garages which charge by the hour. The benefit there is you can put the car up on a lift and have a good look under for a nice inspection.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
the only thing that can hurt you is not ding it at all. tell ya what , it's not my car so I do not mind what you do to yours as long as you do something, then nothing.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I'll always change my filter at the same time as oil. When we can go 7k or more miles (depending on oil you use) that's plenty on a filter. Cleaner engine is always better. Most oil isnt the same as the stuff of old. 3000 mile oil changes are almost dead (though with conventional I would never push much over 3k, non-synthetic isnt that good yet). But as others have said, why save a few bucks a year by skipping a filter and keep that old oil in your engine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I change it every time since it's cheap and I'm already under there, but I would not think anybody neglectful if they stick with the published schedule. It is unlikely a good filter would have any problems with the extended interval.

·
Registered
796 Posts
First, the oil filter only holds .2 quarts, which is pretty insignificant considering the other residual oil that remains in the engine after an oil change. Second, there is a small amount of avoidable wear while oil pressure builds whenever an engine is started with a dry oil filter. Third, Honda is apparently very confident their oil filters can easily go through two oil changes without risk.

So, why not change the filter every other oil change? If it’s DIY it does make it easier, especially if you can use an oil extractor that draws oil out of the dipstick tube: don’t even have to change clothes!

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
man love to see how 2 qts can be put into a pint size filter? I should go get two quarts and fill up a pint. see which wins first the pint or 2 qts.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,064 Posts
man love to see how 2 qts can be put into a pint size filter?
It's 0.2 qts Fishy... Gotta watch those decimals.

If your daughter's boyfriend tells you "I have a seven-figure income" you gotta watch the decimals, LOL.

:umnik:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts