Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered some stuff from Amazon late last week and just got the box !! My "issue" is with the oil filters they sent vs. what I ordered. I ordered a 5 pk of 15400-PLM-A02 and got a 5 pk of 01 !! What's the differenceand is it important ?? I seem to remember somewhere that a dealer was discontinuing the 01 because it had some cardboard part (end piece?) vs a metal part in the 02 !! BTW, this Amazon is getting to be a MAJOR PITA !! Craig

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Thank you hondo for the video report. Each filter seems to have a few pluses and minuses. I have used both kinds and could not tell any difference in performance or anything. They both meet Honda's specs or they would not have used them in their new cars. I have a few 'free' oil changes yet from my dealer as part of the new vehicle purchase. After that I will be changing the oil and filters myself as I always have. Recently I purchased some Denso brand oil filters for the future changes. I read a number of reviews and found Denso to be a quality filter and purchased them from RockAuto.com. This is not a commercial, just the facts. Truly, I believe the most important thing is to change the oil and filter regularly, and the brands of those are not so important.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Not to insult or pretend to know anything about Filters, I have been using ordinary name brand filters for over 35 years and have never had an engine failure (knock on wood). I do however like using Synthetic oil and they always try to sell me Synthetic oil filter which I refuse.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I guess I'll save my yelling at Amazon for another day !! Hondo - your video is very interesting - thanks for going to the trouble !! Craig

·
Everything in Moderation
7,736 Posts
I do however like using Synthetic oil and they always try to sell me Synthetic oil filter which I refuse.
Right; That's like insisting that you use a Purple colored filter when you use Royal Purple oil. :)

Many folks think the Filtech sourced filters are superior to the Honeywell-sourced filters (A01 and A02, respectively). I've never had a problem with the A02s.

Hey if it makes you feel good, Carquest Auto Parts house-brand filters are made by Filtech, too. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
252 Posts
My dealer still has A01's and I get them for $5.70 at the parts window. Sometimes it amazes me that quality, genuine parts can be less expensive than aftermarket parts - it pays to at least call your dealer and check prices. You would think that both versions would meet Honda's spec, but the A01 "feels" better built and is a bit more solid can (might be nice on all the stone throwing roads in VT).

It seems odd that the A01's are still so easily available despite apparently being discontinued in favor of the A02 version in 2007. I know there's old stock to go through, but I find it peculiar there would be that many and I wonder if Honda hasn't reverted back to the A01 for some reason? Can't be there is over 9 years worth of old stock kicking around?

I change my filter at every OC... with the transition to synthetic as the recommended oil and the increasing mileage between oil changes per the MM, I do wonder if either version can go 20k+ miles based on Honda's guide to change the filter every other time. That seems like a lot for any filter.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,736 Posts
I find it peculiar there would be that many and I wonder if Honda hasn't reverted back to the A01 for some reason?

I do wonder if either [filter] version can go 20k+ miles based on Honda's guide to change the filter every other time. That seems like a lot for any filter.
Honda may be sharing it's supply among two vendors. They compete for the business like any other company. Sometimes they get the contract, sometimes they don't.

JDM filters are different (MUCH smaller in physical size). I had to use a different removal wrench for the first oil change on our Fit and V.

Back in the early 80s, Honda used Fram and they had problems with those filters. So Honda changed vendors. As you said, in 2007 they went back. (The Honda filters are high-end, definitely NOT the "Orange Can of Death".) :cool:

The OEM filters have been cut open on BITOG.com several times, and the consensus is that YES, they can easily last 20K+ miles.

I still change mine every time, though. Old habits die hard.

·
Registered
785 Posts
My dealer still has A01's and I get them for $5.70 at the parts window. Sometimes it amazes me that quality, genuine parts can be less expensive than aftermarket parts - it pays to at least call your dealer and check prices. You would think that both versions would meet Honda's spec, but the A01 "feels" better built and is a bit more solid can (might be nice on all the stone throwing roads in VT).

It seems odd that the A01's are still so easily available despite apparently being discontinued in favor of the A02 version in 2007. I know there's old stock to go through, but I find it peculiar there would be that many and I wonder if Honda hasn't reverted back to the A01 for some reason? Can't be there is over 9 years worth of old stock kicking around?

I change my filter at every OC... with the transition to synthetic as the recommended oil and the increasing mileage between oil changes per the MM, I do wonder if either version can go 20k+ miles based on Honda's guide to change the filter every other time. That seems like a lot for any filter.
Not sure the A01s are discontinued - my 2015 came from the factory with a Filtech oil filter and the A01s I just bought sure seem shiny and new. Maybe the A02s are just a response to dealer requests for a less-expensive filter.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Check out the efficiency rating on the Honda oil filters and compare it to almost any aftermarket oil filter.
You may be surprised what you find.
Perhaps Honda goes for flow volume overall, rather than filtering efficiency.
Their engines last a long, long time, overall.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
108 Posts
I also am using denso filters (150-1009) on both my crv and ridgeline, very good construction, very strong case, comes with plastic seal over end and like oem Honda filters favors flow over maximum filtering efficiency( as buffalo4 said) compared to a pure1 filter you can see the oil intake holes are noticeably larger- I think this higher flow design might be helpful on startup issues, filtering is still pretty good but not as high as others.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I ordered my filters from Bernardi, and they told me that A01 VS A02 are the same or interchangable

So, i have the A01 on my CRV. Maybe the key is to replace them regularly with oil change

i change my oil every 6 months, i dont drive too much miles

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
If you're interested in filtering efficiency, check it out. The Honda filters are much lower in filtering efficiency than almost any after market oil filter. Why? Possibly it is that Honda goes for more oil flow rather than filter eff, esp at the small particle size.
Don't believe it, do some serious searching on testing, not on opinions.

Cardboard end caps? They are a fiber composite and not cardboard and they serve their purpose. Some oil filters don't even use endcaps!!!!! That cardboard crap is blown way out of proportion, usually by Fram 'haters'.

Do you require a stronger oil filter casing, a filter with titanium end caps or ???
Do you even know the purpose of 'end' caps??????
Don't believe all that hype, esp between A01 and A02.

Do your own research on testing sites, not opinion sites.

Buffalo4

·
Registered
252 Posts
If you're interested in filtering efficiency, check it out. The Honda filters are much lower in filtering efficiency than almost any after market oil filter. Why? Possibly it is that Honda goes for more oil flow rather than filter eff, esp at the small particle size.
The reality is that few folks outside of Honda's engineering dept know why they spec'd the oem filters as they have. I've always thought that provided you don't have restricted oil paths due to sludge or whatnot that if you have sufficient oil pressure, the flow is what it is (at least based on the oil's flow parameters)... you can't push more oil through than what "fits", and this resistance is what causes the pressure to rise. That said, it is also possible that the oem filters were designed to provide 'sufficent' filtration at the manufacturing price point, which would also mean that other filters may provide 'better' filtration while still allowing sufficient 'flow'. Whether that improvement returns any real life results is out of my knowledge base. Like many things in life, part of it comes down to what makes you feel good.

edit - Honda engines have a reputation for reliability that is well deserved, but like any company they are also not without engineering flaws (ie AC compressors, transmission issues and most recently the DI vibration). I do wonder from time to time if some of their specs in parts or maintenance specs are manipulated to provide better fuel economy or reduce consumer pm costs at the expense of reliability (such as extended service intervals in different countries).

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I would have to guess they do it for the longevity of their oil filter, esp for poorer areas of the world.
The Honda recommended oil change for normal service was 7500 miles and an oil filter change every other oil fill, which meant they were recommending an oil filter change every 15,000 miles.
Most aftermarket oil filter mfgs' suggest changing theirs well before that mileage.
That and perhaps filtering the smaller sizes, below 30 microns, didn't seem that important to Honda, and their engines are legendary for long life.
Also, after many passes through the filter, more and more of the smaller particles would be caught.
All of the above are just my thoughts with no proof at all.
The big discussion between the A01 and the A02 seems to be more of opinions than proof of whether either one actually performs better ,or sufficiently, in actual use.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
252 Posts
The Honda recommended oil change for normal service was 7500 miles and an oil filter change every other oil fill, which meant they were recommending an oil filter change every 15,000 miles.
Most aftermarket oil filter mfgs' suggest changing theirs well before that mileage.
I changed my oil a few weeks ago because at the rate the MM was going it would be over 10k miles before it hit 15% (granted a lot of highway miles), and that was for an '09 running stock Honda synthetic blend 5w-20. I expect that the OCI's for the new full synthetics will be even greater. I can't imagine over 20k mile filter intervals...

edit - deja vu :cool:

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Here is a study ,dated around Jan 2011, about the basic construction of different oil filters: http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/oilfilter/filterconstruction.htm plus some basic testing of filtering ability of the media of different filters.
Still, this was just a test that didn't really simulate actual conditions, but it seemed well done.
Overall, it would be hard to judge any of the filters as being unsuitable for the job.
Buffalo4
PS: http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/29026/engine-bypass-filtration

1 - 19 of 19 Posts