Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2013 EX
74 Posts
Welcome......
Yep, that looks pretty grungy. I just bought a 13 crv with 101k miles and my engine compartment looks spotless compared to your pics. Yours being a 17 I don't know if that is the year model that had the oil/gas dilution issue or not, but some oil has been coming from somewhere. I don't really know to much about these issues....but hang on. There are several guys on this forum that know their stuff. Someone will chime in shortly....hang on.

·
Triangular Horse Knees
5,249 Posts
Not normal.

If its a recent purchase, you should have some sort of warranty. Could just as easily be historic and never cleaned - either way, back to to the dealer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not normal.

If its a recent purchase, you should have some sort of warranty. Could just as easily be historic and never cleaned - either way, back to to the dealer.
It's over 60k miles so not sure if I have any left. Would the warranty extension Honda issues for 17' CRV's help?

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,854 Posts
what @TheDarkKnight waa thinking of is did you get a warranty when you bought it?

to answer your question, oil leaks on Honda's, not seen one on the extended family fleet.

Reactions: williamsji

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
5,119 Posts
gen5 CRVs do have a few recurring issues reported, but oil leaks is NOT one of them.

So.. used vehicle, just purchased.. right? Could be you just purchased someone else's problem (ie: why they sold the vehicle). And DarkKnight is correct... if there was any short term warranty or money back clause in your purchase agreement, you may have some remedy. If not.. you bought it, so now you own it, unfortunately.

So.. is it really a leak though, or was someone bad about changing oil or servicing some other component on the engine and just never cleaned up their mess? I would start by cleaning it all up to fresh clean metal and then check for fresh leakage, and from where. Then reach out to the seller.

Also, you could ask any Honda dealer to provide you with the maintenance history of the vehicle. If the vehicle was serviced by any Honda dealer anywhere.. it will be in their computer database.

·
Registered
'18 CR-V Ex-L AWD & '13 CR-V Ex-L AWD
1,638 Posts
Oil Leak? How much are you losing? Monitor the level for reference. If loss is less than a quart between fluid changes then drive it and no worries. It is not cost effective to repair minor drips. No worries.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,174 Posts
You bought this used, would that be something you and the Seller could have talked about, but not sharing us the whole story?

No it is not common, clean up, look for the gaskets that are causing that leak.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My bet is that previous owner did their own oil changes and were a bit sloppy doing so. It takes very little oil to cause a mess, as I am sure you may be aware of. a couple of oil drops here and there don't seem like much but once the engine gets hot and those oil drops thin out and spread -- bingo a mess ! Now add a layer or two of road grime and it seems like a big deal.. Perhaps cleaning the area with paper towels and watching it a bit would be a good approach. Just my $.02

·
Registered
149 Posts
From your pics, it looks greasy and grimy, but I don’t see any drips. As others said, clean it real good, then keep an eye on it. Look for oil spots on your driveway, and check oil level regularly. You’ll figure it out. If need be, get it fixed. No worries.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,174 Posts
Simple Green , cut down som careful where you spray it. report back or send to a detailer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is oil leak a common thing in 2017 Honda CRV(1.5L). Looks pretty major - just bought this car used so bit concerned.

View attachment 147292
View attachment 147293
I had an oil leak on my 2017 CR-V within a week of the new purchase. The service department first said they didn't see any oil leakage. I had them put it on a lift and I showed them. They put something in the crank case that would show under ultraviolet light in order to find the origin. It turns out there is a small inspection port on the right side of the block about half way down. I never got to actually see it, but evidently it was not sealed properly at the factory. The leak was slow because it was seeping. They replaced a very small gasket and used some sort of adhesive sealant. Problem solved. I suspect this is the cause of the problem. Of course, there could be many other sites of leakage. In any event, I suggest you get this resolved. Fluid leakage is NEVER normal and never OK to ignore. Whatever it takes, get it fixed and then have them steam clean the mess.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had an oil leak on my 2017 CR-V within a week of the new purchase. The service department first said they didn't see any oil leakage. I had them put it on a lift and I showed them. They put something in the crank case that would show under ultraviolet light in order to find the origin. It turns out there is a small inspection port on the right side of the block about half way down. I never got to actually see it, but evidently it was not sealed properly at the factory. The leak was slow because it was seeping. They replaced a very small gasket and used some sort of adhesive sealant. Problem solved. I suspect this is the cause of the problem. Of course, there could be many other sites of leakage. In any event, I suggest you get this resolved. Fluid leakage is NEVER normal and never OK to ignore. Whatever it takes, get it fixed and then have them steam clean the mess.
Was it on left of right side of the engine block? My leak is mostly on the right side (highest point is a little above the automatic transmission fill hole and then flows all the way down)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Welcome......
Yep, that looks pretty grungy. I just bought a 13 crv with 101k miles and my engine compartment looks spotless compared to your pics. Yours being a 17 I don't know if that is the year model that had the oil/gas dilution issue or not, but some oil has been coming from somewhere. I don't really know to much about these issues....but hang on. There are several guys on this forum that know their stuff. Someone will chime in shortly....hang on.
Clean the engine, then look for a leak.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts