Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002 CRV
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My repair shop was trying to repair an oil leak on my 2002 CRV. They told me the leak is coming from a plate on the front of the engine, at the bottom on the passenger side. They said they won't work on it because it's related to the VVT system. I can't even find the part on any diagram, and they couldn't tell me the name of the part but they said only dealers can get the part, but I don't have a dealer close by. Anyone know what part they're talking about?

I'm going to try to locate it myself tomorrow but I think I need to take off some of the splash guards to get to it.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,071 Posts
V V T system.... I must be having a slow night not understanding that acronym.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,572 Posts
The plate they are referring to is probably the inspection cover for the timing chain tensioner. It located next to the pulley on the crank shaft. Part #2 in the diagram.

It's easy to fix. But you need to pull the front right wheel to get to it. Then just remove the plate, clean the surfaces and apply a sealant and put everything back together.

·
Registered
2002 CRV
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From what he was describing the VTC strainer sounds like it. I'm going to take a look tomorrow and see if I can tell. What has to be done to get a good view of that? Just take off the front splash shield?

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,572 Posts
You don't take the splash shield off, you can get to it from the top. It's right next to the intake manifold. The top bolt is easy to get to, the bottom bolt is behind the belt tensioner. But you might be able to get to it with an open end wrench without removing the tensioner. I have never had to take it off. You will only need to order the strainer, part #11.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts