Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend has a 1999 Honda CRV with about 243,000 miles on it. it has an oil leak somewhere in the top left side of the motor, I do some work on cars but mostly classics with big block V8's so I'm not very familiar with Honda so I figured someone on here will know a lot more about the 2.0L than me. if anyone thinks they know what it would be or if its a common problem with these that would be great. also I have to replace the thermostat on the car so what is recommended to be the most reliable for these Honda motors?

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Can you take a photo of the top of the engine? Most likely oil is coming out from the valve cover gasket or the end cap of the exhaust cam & the oil seal for the distributor. These are the most common on these engine. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,044 Posts
Moved from website help to year correct section

·
Registered
'98 EX AWD
344 Posts
I'm assuming you mean the driver side as being the left? Common issues in that area are, oil pan and cam seals (not the plug). Everyone here will say stick with an OEM thermostat, but I've never had an issue with a decent aftermarket one that opens at the same degree as factory.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 97 crv that's leaking oil from the rear side of the driver side above the oil pan abs I can't figure out what's even there to leak out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
'98 EX AWD
344 Posts
Either valve cover or a cam seal (behind the gear). Hard to spot if all the timing covers are on and intact.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts