Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my valves adjusted Monday as well as valve cover gasket replaced. Mechanics didn't say anything about the engine leaking. By Tuesday I was smelling hot chemical during my evening drive, when idle at stoplights. Thought it might have been the fixative they used on the VCG or maybe a dribble of oil on the exhaust. Was crazy busy this week so didn't even get the chance to open the hood until this morning. There's clean oil all over the inside! Near the top where the cap is, behind the engine, under the engine... everywhere. I'm pissed. When I bought this car two weeks ago it was clean and dry, (if loud) otherwise I wouldn't have considered it. I called the garage and told them about it, they said to leave it tomorrow night and they would look first thing Monday. ("Maybe we didn't clean it up inside after the job.") My questions: what else could it be other than a ****ty VCG job?? Where else from the system would oil leak from? Can tinkering with the valves cause a leak? It seems to have a little more power since the valve adjustment, it is running well. Please explain any answers like I am five years old. If there is another thread you know of that you could link, that would be fine. Thank you so much.

(2000 CRV LX AWD, 122k, Auto Trans.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: One of the gaskets in the kit was faulty so they replaced it no charge. They didn't clean it inside, though, and there was a splash of oil under it where it was parked when I picked it up at 4pm. There was even oil underside of the hood. I took it home and sprayed all visible/reachable oil with brake cleaner-- the stuff really works. I'm really concerned though. There's a drip underneath and I am not sure that it is due to the VCG job. After I cleaned everything off that I could reach, I put a piece of cardboard under it and ran it for about 15 minutes. There were 6 drips of dirtier oil there after that. I'm going to leave it over night and see what is there in the morning.

I'm still under warranty for a week, wondering if I should cash in and get my money back.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Check your oil level. An overfull crankcase will cause oil to spray out and get all over the engine. On a friend's 2000 crv, the dipstick tube was loose and when he pulled the dipstick out, the level looked low so he added oil to get to the full mark.
The result was that oil was being sprayed all over the engine compartment. I checked his oil level and found that the dipstick tube was loose. I pushed it down and remeasured and it was WAY over the full mark, probably several qts over.
I had to remove the dipstick tube, clean (using brake cleaner) the oil off the the tube and the hole it went into, used some JB Weld, pushed it back in and let it set overnight.
I had tried just tapping the tube down earlier, but it stayed loose,so I did the JB weld route.

Doesn't seem right that just a leaky gasket would spread that much oil on the underside of the hood, etc.

Buffalo4

PS: Also check your PCV valve for free operation.

·
Registered
139 Posts
If the PCV valve is plugged it will blow the dip stick up and the oil with it........................it happened to me on the highway and what a mess that was!!!!!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts