Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As noted in some other threads, I'm new to CR-Vs with the recent purchase of a '98.

The prior owner had the oil pan gasket changed when it started leaking at around 50,000 miles. She had it replaced a second time shortly after that when it started leaking again. Just before I bought it, she had it replaced a THIRD time!

Well, it's still leaking a small amount and I called her. She said she called her Honda dealer and was told there is a big slew of repacement oil pan gaskets that are defective.

Anyone heard of leaky and defective oil pan gaskets or had this problem with a Gen. 1?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
As noted in some other threads, I'm new to CR-Vs with the recent purchase of a '98.

The prior owner had the oil pan gasket changed when it started leaking at around 50,000 miles. She had it replaced a second time shortly after that when it started leaking again. Just before I bought it, she had it replaced a THIRD time!

Well, it's still leaking a small amount and I called her. She said she called her Honda dealer and was told there is a big slew of repacement oil pan gaskets that are defective.

Anyone heard of leaky and defective oil pan gaskets or had this problem with a Gen. 1?
While there may be a replacement gasket issue, you are talking about a vehicle that is 8 years old.

My 99 was recently giving a small drip. I crawled under and tightened up the many loose bolts. it quit leaking. You may want to try the same.

If tightening it doesn't work, the gasket runs about $25 and you will need some of the good, black RTV silicone. You only need to put the silicone around the points on the pan where the curves are. It is easiest if you remove the plastic splash shield before removing the pan. Also, go to a hardware store and buy a couple of matching size studs and nuts. Screw them into the block so you have a good way to get the pan in place and hold it there without slippage while you install all of the other bolts. There is also a specific pattern to use in tightening the bolts to prevent the pan from warping/leaking.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts